PDA

View Full Version : New wood in my trailer?

DJ Contracting
03-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I have a 16' enclosed trailer and I need to replace the wood for the walls, anyway here is my question can I subsitute OSB for plywood?
The OSB for 1/2 inch is one third the cost of plywood right now, and this is going on the walls not the floor. I would like to get the wood before the prices go up.

SinjonAssociates
03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
If you are going to screw anything into the sides of the trailer using standard wood screws you will have serious problems down the road as you hit bumps and potholes etc. Osb will not hold up like plywood will, that is why your trailers come with plywood from the factory.
George

DJ Contracting
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
If you are going to screw anything into the sides of the trailer using standard wood screws you will have serious problems down the road as you hit bumps and potholes etc. Osb will not hold up like plywood will, that is why your trailers come with plywood from the factory.
George

Mine came with that cheap luanwood i plan on running 1x4 along the top and attach any hardware to the 1x4's

LindblomRJ
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
OSB is okay until it gets wet. Then it seems to fall apart. Wouldn't use it on any outdoor applications.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Go with regular plywood I wouldn't buy OSB its got to be the worst crap on the market. How much is a sheet of 1/2" plywood ?

nobagger
04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Mine came with that cheap luanwood i plan on running 1x4 along the top and attach any hardware to the 1x4's

Dido on the CHEAP!!! luan. One of my guys tested its strength when the trailer was 2 days old...the luan didnt win,lol. I ended up using 1/2 plywood 14" high around the entire bottom.

DJ Contracting
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Go with regular plywood I wouldn't buy OSB its got to be the worst crap on the market. How much is a sheet of 1/2" plywood ?

The 1/2 plywood is 17.98 and the 1/2 OSB is 7.49 again it will be inside my enclosed trailer on the walls.

LindblomRJ
04-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Inside of a trailer would be okay. As long as its dry its okay.

DJ Contracting
04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Inside of a trailer would be okay. As long as its dry its okay.

Thats what I was thinking for the price difference.

EgansCountryGardens
04-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah go with the OSB for the price. I'm a carpenter before I got into the landscape business. Your screws wont loosen from hitting bumps. Just use fender washers behind your screw heads. If you want to screw an additional 1 foot strip of 1/2" plywood down the sides on top of the OSB, you can use that to screw any brackets into.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
That is a big difference in price usually we never see that much of a jump. If your saving almost 10 dollars a sheet I would say go with the OSB. You can seal the OSB with a good exterior paint it will keep it from delaminating and also give you a smoother surface.

DJ Contracting
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah go with the OSB for the price. I'm a carpenter before I got into the landscape business. Your screws wont loosen from hitting bumps. Just use fender washers behind your screw heads. If you want to screw an additional 1 foot strip of 1/2" plywood down the sides on top of the OSB, you can use that to screw any brackets into.

Yeah it sounds like if you keep the OSB or plywood dry they should both work well, so I'll get the OSB

SinjonAssociates
04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I think that it is a mistake to go with OSB, I use both on a daily basis building houses!!! Why limit yourself after going through all the trouble of replacing the interior, stop by a homebuilders jobsite and grab a piece of each from his trash pile and see what happens to it when you pull a screw out with a hammer? Daily travel will loosen your brackets, why find out the hard way. Even with the 1x4 you limit where you can mount brackets!!