PDA

View Full Version : Kohler breather tube ALERT!

mcambrose
03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I have five Walker's with Kohler engines. WHen I went by the dealer on Thursday he said Kohler had upgraded the breather tube (tube between crankcase and carburetor) because there had been some problems with cracking. My mechanic said he had rebuilt several engines because of cracked breather tubes. He suggested I change all of mine. I checked two this morning and both had cracks, so I replaced them. I will replace the others in the next few days. I had had a couple of engines fail because of breather tube problems, so I am taking no chances. I just thought others might be interested in the information. The may be old news. if it is old news, I apologize.

chipk1
03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
I have five Walker's with Kohler engines. WHen I went by the dealer on Thursday he said Kohler had upgraded the breather tube (tube between crankcase and carburetor) because there had been some problems with cracking. My mechanic said he had rebuilt several engines because of cracked breather tubes. He suggested I change all of mine. I checked two this morning and both had cracks, so I replaced them. I will replace the others in the next few days. I had had a couple of engines fail because of breather tube problems, so I am taking no chances. I just thought others might be interested in the information. The may be old news. if it is old news, I apologize.

25hp Kohler, if so I feel for ya. Only one of many plagues in that motor! Dumped mine and got a new KAI 28hp

newz7151
03-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Improved Breather Hoses
Recent reports of cracked or deteriorating breather hoses on
Command, Aegis, and Courage engines have prompted a
material change. A previous material change in 2004 has been
found to be inadequate in some applications for long term
reliability.
New hoses with improved ozone protection have been
developed and carry new part numbers. They also have the
part number printed in white for easy identification. Please
refer to the chart found on Service Bulletin 279 in Section 10
for the cross reference to the new breather hose part numbers.
All engines should be routinely inspected for deteriorating or
cracking breather hoses. Replace any deteriorated or cracking
hoses with a new breather hose. Only file a warranty claim if
the engine is within the warranty period.

Please see the attached file for the chart.

topsites
04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I'm going to see about installing an aftermarket breather filter and shutting off the hole on the carb end of things, I get tired of the crankcase sucking air out of my intake.

ed2hess
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
And on the 15hp the darn breather will not stay inserted had to rig up something to hold onto the valve cover end.

barnard
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
This is a good post. Very good info.

newz7151
04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
And on the 15hp the darn breather will not stay inserted had to rig up something to hold onto the valve cover end.

Maybe this?

mcambrose
04-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I checked four of my five machines including a 20hp, 2003 model with 250 hrs. All units had cracks in the breather tubes. In fact, I just had an engine rebuilt that I received back yesterday. I was installing the engine and decided I should check the breather tube. It was terribly cracked and it was nota tight fit on the bottom. I could have ruined the enine rebuild in a short while. Thanks to my mechanic for giving me the information.

DaughtryLC
04-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Can someone take a Pic of this hose (cracked one) on the engine (25hp) so I can get a clear view of were its at? Is there two or just one. THANKS

pugs
04-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I'm going to see about installing an aftermarket breather filter and shutting off the hole on the carb end of things, I get tired of the crankcase sucking air out of my intake.

You have other problems if that is the case. The breather lets air out, not sucks it in. Thats what the valve is for ;)

mcambrose
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
The breather does let air OUT of the crankcase, but it lets air into the carburetor unfiltered. Just like not having and air filter, so this is enough to ruin and engine in just a few hours.

ed2hess
04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Maybe this?

Thanks a lot that will definitely improve things hate to see machine come in for weekly maintenance and those are off.

thecrankshaft
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM

You are uneducated on how the breather system works.

In the crankcase, below the heads, there is vacuum. On the number 2 cylinder head, there is pressure to help return oil from the head to the crankcase. In the number 1 cylinder head, crankcase pressure leaves through the breather filter and goes to the intake.

Old automotive applications let crankcase pressure (caused from blowby) to escape directly to the atmosphere, but this creates emissions and environmental issues.