PDA

View Full Version : Rock Installation

JLIND2100
04-01-2007, 01:51 AM
hey guys I'm looking for alittle help in figuring out what to charge for a up coming job. I did a job last fall but I'm pretty sure i didn't charge nearly what i should of. the current job I'm trying to price now is for a lady who wants a 500 sf area of sod removed then she wants me to put down Eastern Seashore and it locally goes any were from 48 to 68 dollars a ton. I'm really just getting started in the business so if any one could give me alittle help in figuring out a good estimate to give her i would really appreciate.

LB1234
04-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I think a lot will depend on the job itself. Can you get access to the yard with a machine? How many ton? Does it have to be wheelbarreled in? All questions like this need to be answered.

Generally, for us to just lay stone I figure for 85/hr for our dingo and another 55/hr for a general laborer to spread it. I haven't ever gotten an official time on it but this past Thursday we placed 7yds of QP or about 11-12 ton of material for a parking pad. Took us 3 man-hrs on the machine and another 5 man-hrs to grade, rake, and tamped. We did tamp in three lifts since we have a small compactor so that was kinda time consuming.

Anyhow we charged 250 labor for the machine, another 275 for the general labor and then another 300 for material. All in all, for a half days work of stone we received 825 bucks.

justanotherlawnguy
04-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Measure it like you would for a mulch install, then figure what you would charge and multiply it by 5.

Rock is a monster to work with....

Travel'n Trees
04-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Rock is a monster but with the right equipment wheelbarreling it ain't bad it is the scooping once you quit that part of it you will love it.

JLIND2100
04-03-2007, 03:51 PM
it going to be all by hand,shoves,wheelbarrows, the real fun way to do it. And ya thats what i have herd the rocks a monster to work with, this is really my first big job and im most worried about making it seem like im trying to over charge her for it, because i want to do a good job but i also want to make it worth it. So she happy with the price but i also make a decent amount for the work.

justanotherlawnguy
04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
The biggest selling point to rock is you have to emphasize how much work it is. For example if your getting 2 yards of rock, which weighs around 4000lbs (i forget if its about a ton per yard) make sure you tell them that you will be hauling 2 tons of rock via wheelbarrow. THats the biggest thing with rock is not selling yourself short on the labor end.

JLIND2100
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM
OK i got some figures and I'm going to need about 8 ton of the eastern seashore. which goes for about 69.00 a ton. before delivery, and taxes. and I'm figure probably around 20 to 25 for delivery. so it going to cost about 95 dollars for the rocks after everything included in the price. So for the rocks i figure it going to cost about 760 and then when i add on the edging and the weed block to cover the 450 sf area i figure about another 280 so for just the materials i figure around about 1000. But I'm still have a hard time figuring out how much i should charge for labor. I'm still new and learning so any one that could help me get in the right direction it would be greatly appreciate it.

LB1234
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
8 ton is an awful lot to do by barrels and shovels. That's gonna hurt. I'd consider speeding up the job with a piece of equipment. Before we purchased our dingo it cost us 130/day to rent it. Even if you can't get the equipment on the yard you can have it delivered in the street and have the equipment at least load it for you. Just line up two wheelbarrows side by side and dump it in. Saves a lot on the back.

That said, I'd charge 85/hr for an equipment operator and another 55/hr for your general laborer. 8 Ton is only about 2-3yards. With my dingo I could probablly have it done in about an hour and a half. So probablly about 350-400 in labor and 1.5 times your material costs.