PDA

View Full Version : Need to see some pictures

newblade
04-01-2007, 01:48 AM
I am intersted in buying a new mower this year. I have gotten an exmark that is probably close to 10 years old with about 2400 hours on it. I still cuts good and does a decent job with stripes. I am just ready to purchase a new mower. I will be getting a 60 or 61 inch deck and want to see some pictures of yard mowed without a striping kit on to see how good they do. I would like to know the negative also, like if it is bad about leaving straglers? I am going to be getting either a 23 or 25 hp engine. The yards that I mow are weekly mowings except for one, so I don't need all of that hp. I have 22hp kohler on a 60inch deck and it does fine.

thanks

lawntimenosee
04-01-2007, 02:29 AM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2088/pict0049hc4.jpg

No striping kit at the time.. feb. '05 (fescue)

Used 52" 23 hp kohler

newblade
04-01-2007, 04:21 AM
What brand lawn mower? Good looking stripes.

Anybody got any ferris pictures?

supercuts
04-01-2007, 07:51 AM
depending on the type of grass ANY brand of mower can make strips like that. this is a poor way to judge mowers in my oppinionl.

newblade
04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
What criteria do you suggest?

GreenN'Clean
04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Looks like the mower does a nice job

MacPhersonlawn
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Looks like the mower does a nice job

I think the person doing the mowing gets some credit for this!
Not sure I could make it look like that no matter what I was riding.

MikeLT1Z28
04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
What criteria do you suggest?

um.. dealer support, reliablity, quality of build.

stripes are just that, stripes. sure they are nice but what's the point in getting a mower that leaves a great stripe if it isn't reliable enough to leave them whenever you need it to run?

you asked about leaving straglers in grass. that depends on what you are cutting (weed patch?), the condition of the blades, etc...

i say demo some mowers on the properties you cut and see how the cut is, dealer support for that mower and if you are comfortable with the mower. if it doesn't stripe well enough for you, do a search for a stripe kit, then you will have the best of both worlds.

lawntimenosee
04-01-2007, 10:55 AM
What brand lawn mower?

knew I forgot something, lol.. Exmark Lazer hp

ZX12R
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice house and nice work!

jrc lawncare
04-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Exmark 48'' tthp.http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/pic4.jpg

lawntimenosee
04-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Nice house and nice work!

Thanks! :)

tacoma200
04-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Good looking stripes, but that's not the best way to judge a mower even though I'm sure the Exmark does a great job either way. For weekly jobs I like Exmark in the Kentucky area. A Lazer, Hp, or AS may be just what you need. If you like the bigger body the Lazer may fit the bill or the AS series if money is an issue. Hp if you like the smaller size. I like my Lazer for it's great handling in tight area's as well as the nice cut. I use the Scag for overgrown or wet area's. The Lazer is quicker (not faster) and can eliminate a lot of trimming while the Scag seems to do better in thicker, wetter conditions. Lots of other brands that would do well but it seems like Exmark has worked well for you so far.

tacoma200
04-18-2007, 01:48 AM
um.. dealer support, reliablity, quality of build.

stripes are just that, stripes. sure they are nice but what's the point in getting a mower that leaves a great stripe if it isn't reliable enough to leave them whenever you need it to run?

you asked about leaving straglers in grass. that depends on what you are cutting (weed patch?), the condition of the blades, etc...

i say demo some mowers on the properties you cut and see how the cut is, dealer support for that mower and if you are comfortable with the mower. if it doesn't stripe well enough for you, do a search for a stripe kit, then you will have the best of both worlds.

I can agree with that...... I might add my Lazer leaves less straglers than any other brand I've used. That includes Scag, Hustler, Dixie, Grasshopper. That includes bad turf such as crabgrass, clover, dandelions, etc. Sounds like you should test a few brands as suggested above to see what's right for you. Of course I hear that a walker or navigator are as good as it gets for small lawns. I'm not a big Dixie fan but I've seen some of the best stripes with them. Hard to tell how even the cut was when you run a roller over it though.