PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong?

chris buck
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't do landscaping but thought you guys could help me out. I trimmed back these bushes at my house about a week ago about 1/4 in and by the next day they looked like this. They were green with no sign of this before. what is wrong, and is there anything I can do to fix it or is the best thing to just pull them up and plant new ones. Thanks!

Duekster
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
That died back happened overnight? Looks like winter kill off to me.

chris buck
04-01-2007, 02:23 PM
It doesn't make sense to me. It was in the 70's when I trimmed these back, and like I said i only cut maybe 1/4 inch off. Kinda puzzling to me, just hoping someone could help me out.

topsites
04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Ahhh that type of boxwood is so delicate, I don't know how many times I've had this happen, best I can tell you is night time temps can not go much below 50 for about a week when you prune, in addition to 70 degree day time temps.

Beyond that they're just delicate as all, they really are.
Poor things, somedays it seems I must've looked at one some kinda wrong and they do that lol.
But if you ever figure it out, let me know, I've been dealing with this for years, I usually wait until late April to even touch them, even then sometimes it happens.

The good news is they'll come back, just takes a while of it looking like that, they'll be ok, I'm 99% sure of it.
Not a whole lot you can do that I know of, just have to wait and see, maybe give them a little bit of water.

AL Inc
04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Did you put a spray lubricant on the blades before you trimmmed? I have seen damage like that from spray lubricants that were toxic, ie WD40. Just seems really fast for that damage to show up. Wierd.

AGLA
04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Was the gas cap loose?

cgland
04-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Really looks like winter burn to me. And you are saying you trimmed them? They don't look trimmed to me. I have NEVER seen Boxwoods turn like that overnight!

Chris

terrapro
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Really looks like winter burn to me. And you are saying you trimmed them? They don't look trimmed to me. I have NEVER seen Boxwoods turn like that overnight!

Chris
sumthin is fishy, i was also thinking that these have not seen a trimmer since last year

i think this guy needs to come clean. if you look closely at the second picture the dead portion is shorther than the green foliage. this has been like this for longer than overnight

McKeeLand
04-01-2007, 10:43 PM
looks like the maid poured her bucket of bleach water on them.:laugh:

chris buck
04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I did not trim these with gas trimmers, just hand shears. You don't have to believe me, I don't care, but that is what happened. They were fine, they were trimmed and one or maybe two days later they looked like this. I was just hoping someone could help me, evidentally you can't or don't want to. Sorry for bothering you.

dcondon
04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
I believe Topsites has said it best!!!!! They will come back after a while.:waving:

mdmowerman
04-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Im sure some holly-tone wouldnt hurt....

AGLA
04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Could the date of the post have anything to do with it?

chris buck
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
What do you mean by the date of the post?

RedMax Man
04-02-2007, 05:48 PM
What do you mean by the date of the post?

April fools joke:laugh:

...thats what he meant most likely

chris buck
04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry, no April's fools joke. Wish it was though, I wouldn't have these horrible looking Boxwood's in front of my house!

AGLA
04-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Is there anything funky with the exhaust system?

thilawncare
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
How Cold Was it the night you pruned? Did it freeze? if so thats it... said and done... like the others were saying... id pull them put new ones in and move them to the back yard to regrow... :P

Greenguy1
04-07-2007, 09:11 AM
I really doubt that this could be done overnight by pruning unless it was physically burned or chemically burned, it is to inconsistent, it truly looks to be winter burn, it is very common with buxus, replace with a winter gem and check your calendar you may have missed a few months, sorry.. just a little pinch. I have also seen this from large dogs urine.

PatriotLandscape
04-07-2007, 02:06 PM
it is definitley winter injury a 20 temp change can hurt shrubs, this is an extreme case.

They will look this bad at least 9 months maybe more. Evergreens are generally slow to sho injury and slower to recover and boxwoods are very slow.

dchauling
04-07-2007, 02:17 PM
buy some green paint