PDA

View Full Version : gravely 148m xdz

carpdoctor
04-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I am getting a home use mower and one of my top two choices is the gravely 148m xdz. My local dealer does not have one in stock. If anyone has one of these models what is the trim with this model. I don't wont to step up to the 52" but I would like a few inches of trim. Thanks My second question is the gravely has a center anti scalping wheel the scag does not. Is this a big deal. As u can guess I am trying to pick between a tiger cub and a gravely.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Im not to sure on the Gravely, but check out the Scag with the Velocity deck. I have a new 48 walk behind with the Velocity deck and it has center anti-scalp wheels. That deck has the best vacuum and quality of cut, imo, that I have seen yet. I highly recommend the Velocity deck to anyone!!

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM
There's not much of a trim on the 148 (I believe just a few inches) but the center scalp wheel is important to me as here in NC we mow at 1.5 inches. Gravely's are great mowers but so is the scag. Either way you'll be happy.

Espacesverts
04-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Ihave a pm148z and it doesn't have that much trim. For my use, the mower is very good and strong, pretty fast for a small ztr and easy to control. If I had the choice again, I would buy a pm152 just for the triming aspect and the 23 or 25 hp. 21hp is not enough for my need.

Overall a great mower.

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Your going to find that most 48" ZTR's dont have hardly any trim. With that said we have been useing 48" ZTR's since 1999 and the trim is really a non issue.

BTW get the Gravely they are some of the finest mowers on the market IMO. We have owned a bunch of them and scags also but the Gravely's have always worked best for us.

johnwon
04-01-2007, 09:10 PM
The 148XDZ is a nice machine...I almost bought one myself. I ended up buying the 160XDZ at the end of the season. I don't really have any seat time on it yet so I'm not sure if I bought too big of a machine for my yard?
Which Tiger Cub are comparing it to. There's the Briggs promo unit and then there's the Kawasaki machine. The Gravely XDZ has the suspension seat, 250LB. Ogura PTO clutch and most likely a higher HP Kawasaki engine as standard. The grass catcher is cheaper for the Gravely than the Scag if you think you might use the OEM type catcher system. In 2006 you did not have to get the ROPS which is in most cases a waste of money, but I think there is no choice about that for 2007...not sure on that though. As for the trim, the 148 didn't seem to have much nor did the 152 compared to the 160.