PDA

View Full Version : Need info on type of wood for open trailer

Sydenstricker Landscaping
04-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey everyone, my trailer needs a new floor and Im not sure what type or size is best. I have heard that the treated lumber isnt very good, etc. I never have re-floored a trailer, so any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

ed2hess
04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Just go to Home depot and get the treated wood....place one end of the lumber in the front channel and take a jack and jack it up in the middle from underneath while having another person stand o the end that needs to be inserted. The wood will bend a lot and shorten to get it to drop in the channels. It is a little tricky but you will get the idea quick.

gene gls
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Just go to Home depot and get the treated wood....place one end of the lumber in the front channel and take a jack and jack it up in the middle from underneath while having another person stand o the end that needs to be inserted. The wood will bend a lot and shorten to get it to drop in the channels. It is a little tricky but you will get the idea quick.

Different brands of trailers have different type of floor mounting requirements.

ncls
04-02-2007, 12:38 AM
If it's a normal landscape trailer, what Hess said. got a pic??

Swampy
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
depending on what your putting on it go with a jack pine or white oak for decking. It won't warp. The best is redwood if you can afford it.

Picky1
04-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Apitong is nearly indestructable, if you can get some. Tractor-trailer flat-bed manufacturers use it.

fivestarlawnken
04-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Treated 2X6 or whatever size(width)is a very safe and good choice. If you have a light trailer going with decking board will do.Also go and get some good torque head floor screws, you might have to go to semi-trailer type store for these good luck it's easy no worries!

gammon landscaping
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
we use 2x6 or 2x8 for my heavier trailers, for just mulch or mowers i would go with 5/4 decking boards they work just fine and save weight so you can carry a little more with out over loading the trailer and its cheaper