PDA

View Full Version : Rain suits!

CSRA Landscaping
07-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Well, yetserday it was raining, lightly, so I decided it would be a great time to try out the rain suit that I'd bought, the plastic PVC type. Boy, what a miserable mistake! :(

I gained in sweat what I missed in rain, I could actually pull the elastic on the sleeves and watch the sweat pour out like water, that thing was a cooker! I figured the only times to use this thing that would be good would be in heavy rain or in the Fall and Winter months.

Have you all found any rain suits that are actually cool? :alien:

John DiMartino
07-26-2001, 11:17 PM
The only rain gear worth wearing is the Gortex type,they breathe,yet are totally waterproof.I have a set of them,they are big$$$,but you'll love them forever.Mine is a Golfers set,since I work at a golf course,but you can get them at high end sporting goods stores too,as well as pro shops.I rode my Honda CBR crotch rocket in heavy rain for an hour,you could feel the breeze going throught the jacket,but didnt get wet one bit,no sweating either,since it breathes.I would rather get wet than wear those PVC things,they trap you in your sweat.We work in any weather at the golf course,we can not wait until its nice out,so the Gortex is the only way to work all day,and stay comfortable and dry.I get wet around my cuffs,and neck a little,in a heavy rain,but thats it.

Eric ELM
07-26-2001, 11:22 PM
John, you say big bucks, about how much is a complete set? I have boots with Gortex in them and they were not cheap either, but I sure do like them.

John DiMartino
07-26-2001, 11:44 PM
A good set-250-400 easy.Mine was a 350 dollar set 5 years ago,It still is in great shape,and waterproof.

Got Grass?
07-27-2001, 12:46 AM
Unsure of the brand of suits I have. I would very much enjoy having to wear one right now, at least there would be grass to cut.
I have the utility(gas) comany (bright yellow) ones from when my father worked there. and man are thay waterproof. can walk in a lake and not get wet.
Going to be great for plowing season. As I can fit them over my jacket and stay dry, when I fall into that snowbank of slush because I trip in a hole of water tring to get the sno-blower off the truck so I can do the sidewalk to the owner isnt ticketed.

Great for when someone dumps the Z in the river. Or removing falen trees in a storm.

Finecut
07-27-2001, 01:22 AM
Eric,

10x is great stuff you can get it at Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain. The neck and cuff area like John said are the only areas you get damp. about 175.00 for double x per piece. I have found that with getting up and sitting down constantly suspenders are a necessity.

awm
07-27-2001, 01:23 AM
my old rain slicker gets me through. if i had to do it a lot i might have a problem,but thats not the case.

HOMER
07-27-2001, 08:58 AM
I think I saw what ya'll are talking about in a convenience store "YETSERDAY" (gotcha:D anglitch teetcher). I'm going to go back and check their prices, I don't think they were all that bad. Seems like the only style they had was camouflage but if they so as well as you say then it would be better than the poncho I was wearing the other day. If I remember the coat was $75.00 and the pants were about the same price.

CSRA Landscaping
07-27-2001, 10:10 AM
Ya got me, Homey. But I did say english, not tpiyng. ;)

MOW ED
07-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Rainsuit!

I would cut naked in the rain if would rain. 1/2 inch in 45 days doesn't make for green in the pocket.

I have to save my money but thanks for the good info.

cp
07-27-2001, 12:15 PM
Things are really slow here as well because of no rain but I would pay money to see you mow naked...:D

Just kidding..;)

MOW ED
07-27-2001, 12:42 PM
You gave me an idea on how to make up that lost revenue.

No Cameras allowed:D

bubble boy
07-27-2001, 12:56 PM
just imagine trimming a rocky sidewalk naked!!:o

Got Grass?
07-27-2001, 01:40 PM
Back when the Buffalo Sabres were in the cup a couple guys made a bet that if thay won thay would work all day in speedos.
Man am I glad thay lost. as customers would have been lost as well. Not a pretty sight.

Craig Turf Management
07-27-2001, 08:38 PM
I've worn ponchos before, and they're not nearly as hot as rainsuits. If it's raining too hard to stay dry in the poncho, then stay in the truck.
Take care, Bill Craig

jnjnlc
07-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Mow Ed, I saw you at the Expo. Don't do the naked thing. You might loose customers. Just kidding.

We have been fortunate down here. We had rain Tuesday and Wednesday. Two inches at least. I don't use a rain suit but I did use my umbrella on Wednesday while I was blowing off a driveway.