PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct in thinking Brigss&Stratton Intek are crap?

Vikings
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Would you pay an extra $200 for a honda that is two HP smaller?

They want $1200 for a Billy Goat 8HP blower and $1000 for a 10HP Brigss&Stratton Intek engine. The blower is kind of a seasonal machine but what do you think?

khouse
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't think the B&S engines are bad at all. What model Honda engine?

Vikings
04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda OHC GX,8hp, the other specs like CFM and windspeed are almost the same.

MowerMedic77
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I have said on more then one occasion that I think the GX series of Honda engines are some the most time tested and best small engines on the market.
I have customers with units going on over 10 years old, used daily in commercial applications. When I needed to purchase a generator for my home I only looked at units with the GX Honda engines on board.

But once again only my opinion, I am not a paid rep for Honda:cry: but I wish I was:laugh:

khouse
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
That's why I asked what model. MM77 is correct about the GX model. I would lean toward the B&S if you said it was a GC model Honda.

mkwl
04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I have a 10HP Briggs Intek I/C engine on my Little Wonder HO push blower and I've had absolutely no problems with the Briggs engine at all knock on wood! THe blower is a 2002 model, I bought it new on 2002 and it probably has around 450 hours on it, with only regular maintenence done on it, no problems at all! I've heard good things about Honda angines on the blowers also, but if I were you I'd get the blower with the bigger Briggs engine, and save the rest of the $$$ for other equipment! :cool2:

mini14
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
i had nothing but probs with brigss engines on blowers mostly bad valve seats, my 16hp billygoat with vanguard engine hasnt let me down in 10 years, but briggs just throws their stickers on that engine, i heard mitsubishi makes it for them. honda gx's are worth the extra $$$ penny wise pound foolish i am not, youll be buying a new unit id say within 3 years with a briggs engine, and 10 years with a honda, which one is really costem u more? my 13hp honda little wonder is now goen on 8 years, went through 2 briggs blowers before this one in three years. my trailer will NEVER see a briggs engine on it.

Restrorob
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not going to "Plug" either engine, Routine MAINTENANCE is the key to the longevity of any engine or piece of equipment. Without proper maintenance ALL brands are crap in a short period of time.

You wouldn't believe the shape of some of the equipment I work on. :dizzy:

MowerMedic77
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
You wouldn't believe the shape of some of the equipment I work on. :dizzy:

Oh yes I can :laugh:

Vikings
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
"It's Always Better To Ask Dumb Questions Than To Make Stupid Mistakes
If someone else can design it, I sure as heck can figure out how to fix it!"

Restrorob, since your a mechanic could you tell me a little about synthetic oil?

Would you use it on lawn mowers, snow blowers and power rakes? This stuff is more expensive but I figured I would just use regular oil, cheapest stuff in fact, because I was changing it so often. I figured it didn't have a chance to break down the molecular whatever of the oil.

Restrorob
04-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Restrorob, since your a mechanic could you tell me a little about synthetic oil?

Sent you a PM.....

Mr Priceless
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
i'll have to stand up for B&S on this one. I filpped my rider (tractor) on its side to loosen and sharpen my blades, put em back on, flipped it back over, and saw oil flooding out the air filter:dizzy: :hammerhead: ...i about had a heart attack realizing the huge brainfart i had. Cleaned the carb and throttle body, took the air filter and mold off, cleaned the spark plug, let the 13.5 HP beast puff out blue smoke (and about cried the whole way through until the smoke disappeared:cry: ).

Today I choked the intake and about 1-2 seconds on the starter she fired right up:weightlifter: :cool2:
Honestly that engine never let me down when i got a hold of it (mounted on a Poulan)

Jay Ray
04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I hate pulling the deck out from under a lawn tractor too, but some kind of hoist or a lawn tractor jack is a lot easier than flipping it on the side.

Or something like an old Wheel Horse with attachamatic where the deck really comes out fast and easy with the tractor down on all fours.

mini14
04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
for small homeowner crap i would cheap out too and get the briggs garbage....not for work though...all my hondas and kawis start on 1-2 pulls dead cold....the only briggs engines ive seen on commericial stuff is vanguard engines, and i/c engines which are pure junk.

topsites
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM
It really doesn't matter in this case, the 10hp blower will get more work done than the 8 for more reasons than engine alone, thou I don't care that much for B & S myself (have had my share too), the Honda should be the better engine but even at top performance the 8hp Honda blower will not put out the cfm/mph of the 10hp Intek.

For all that matters, I've been running my 10hp B&S Billy Goat for 5 seasons now and the engine isn't the greatest but it runs good, I've had several repairs that were time and nerve consuming but it still runs, now the day it craps out I will stick a 10hp Kohler on that blower and be done with it.

Which, personally, that's what they should've done anyhow is put Kohlers on them lol.