PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to edge?

stephenslawncare
04-01-2007, 11:01 PM
How do you guys edge your residentail or commercial accounts?

dcondon
04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
We only have about 2-3 accounts that we use a stick edger and the rest is done with a trimmer.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
04-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Edger for the 1st time in the spring, then all weedwacker after that

Woody82986
04-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I have always used my trimmer to edge. I dont necessarily have to flip it upside down to edge, but I do use it to edge. I just haven't ever really had a use for a dedicated edger.

Metro Lawn
04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
I tend to follow the "use the right tool for the job" rule. A trimmer is used to trim, and an edger is used to edge. We had this debate a few years back along with pix of both. The edger edges won hands down for looking more clean and crisp. I see it as either being lazy or just cheap, just like the guys I see using the mower as a blower.... rofl

I do however understand from some guys that don't have the same conditions we do here. Almost all of our homes are concrete drives, walks, and curbs. Many places have all or mostly asphalt which an edger is a waste of time on.

Bustus
04-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Trimmer..unless it needs hand tools

cborden
04-02-2007, 12:32 AM
First time we use a blade edger, then we use our Edgits to maintain the edge.

BMFL79
04-02-2007, 12:38 AM
My Craftsman edger hasn't died yet, so I still use that on everything every 2 weeks. On the off weeks I use the trimmer to keep it clean. Once the crapsman dies I will get a stick edger and probably do it every week with that. I can't justify getting the stick edger until the other one dies, though.

ed2hess
04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I tend to follow the "use the right tool for the job" rule. A trimmer is used to trim, and an edger is used to edge. We had this debate a few years back along with pix of both. The edger edges won hands down for looking more clean and crisp. I see it as either being lazy or just cheap, just like the guys I see using the mower as a blower.... rofl

I do however understand from some guys that don't have the same conditions we do here. Almost all of our homes are concrete drives, walks, and curbs. Many places have all or mostly asphalt which an edger is a waste of time on.
Edger leave a flar on southern grasses that simply looks bad.....most companies cut an edge with a trimmer and then go back and cut the flar. I tried several different types of edgers hopping to save time and nota....besides on half mile long properties do I really want the crew fooling with swithing back and forth between trimmer/edger...just simply a bad idea and very inefficient. But it it works for you guys up north great...my input is for southern grass cutters. Never ever ever had a complaint that our edges don't look good....

Precision
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
not trying to be a jerk, but what is a flar?

I edge with an stick edger, specifically the stihl straight shaft FS 110 or whatever. Use it on most every cut on st augustine and bahia. (our version of southern grasses) it looks just fine.

WJW Lawn
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I use my Shindaiwa Edger