PDA

View Full Version : 27hp Kholer engine..problems?

nobagger
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Has any one had any problems with their Kholer 27 hp? Ours comes in on our Lazer this week and I wanted to get any heads up.

Metro Lawn
04-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I would also like to know. I just ordered a new Super Z and my dealer said to take the 27 Kohler over the Kawasaki.

scagwildcat
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
i have had my 27hp for two seasons, with no problems so far, my 18hp, had to be replaced last season after three years in service. the 27hp has great power, ive cut (hay) so to speak, and it didnt even bog down. as always change the oil, service the machine once a week and you should be fine.. i think what happend to my 18hp was that my old dealer, hired cheap labor and ruined my motor, it blew two weeks after it was in for service,and two head bolts were stripped!

razor1
04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
"i have had my 27hp for two seasons, with no problems so far"

Sounds good to me.

I just bought a Lazer Z with that same engine. I'll post an update in a few months....

ProStreetCamaro
04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
We think Kohler makes the finest power equipment engines there are. They have always outlasted and out powered the Kawi's that we have owned.

waterboy1
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I got an exmark 56" with the 27 kohler last summer. It now has 80hrs on it. No major problems so far, just when you try to turn it off, sometimes it tries to keep running, I had a problem with my carb onetime, had small plastic pieces from the gas tank making it want to flood out. My old boss has one with over 300 hrs on it and it back fires some with him. Other than that, that is all I know about them so far. My dealer recommends them over the kawi.

Jason

chipk1
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I hate Kohler! Had nothing but problems with a Kohler 25hp. 2 Blown Head gaskets, then new short block and head, blown reed valve, bad lifters also caused cam to wear out at 500 hours. Might have been a lemon, I don't care! I will never deal with kohler again. Better take care of that dieseling and backfiring. You will eventually blow a reed valve which requires head removal.

IMHO.

Bought a new Lazer Z with 28 KAI engine. Love it so far.

lawnman_scott
04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
I hate Kohler! Had nothing but problems with a Kohler 25hp. 2 Blown Head gaskets, then new short block and head, blown reed valve, bad lifters also caused cam to wear out at 500 hours. Might have been a lemon, I don't care! I will never deal with kohler again. Better take care of that dieseling and backfiring. You will eventually blow a reed valve which requires head removal.

IMHO.

Bought a new Lazer Z with 28 KAI engine. Love it so far.I heard that the 25 hp kohler was a bad engine from the start.

I have a 27 kohler on my 04 lazer with over 2000 hours. I change the oil every 50 hours and rarely do I have to add any between changes. By this point I figured it would be burning some, and sometimes it will use a bit, but its not a constant thing. And this mower is used in hot dusty weather alot of the time. Never had an engine related issue and it seems like a new mower to me.

KathysLGC
04-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Kohler deserves more respect then they get. I've used Kohler/ Kawasaki/ Honda and best bang for the buck, Kohler. Dollar for dollar i think think any other engine can come close to one. I love Honda engines but expect to pay $$$$$ for them. I only want Honda engines on my small stuff but for the price I'll take Kohler any day on 25+HP...

ProStreetCamaro
04-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Our lazer hp 48" with 18hp kohler has right at 2,500 hours and we change the oil 3 times a year. It hasnt lost any power and it doesnt consume oil nor does it smoke. Had a Kohler 18hp magnum on a gravely pro-50 walk behind. Sold the mower with 3,200 hours on it 4 years ago to a friend and that engine is still going. Have never had a Kohler engine fail. Have had 4 kawasuckys blow with less than 1,500 hours on them. We are not thrilled that our 2 main mowers right now have kawi's. When they blow the machines will get repowered with Kohlers. Thats our story and I am sticking to it.

ALarsh
04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I only have 400 +/- hrs on my 27 kohler but no problems. Shut it off at 1/2 throttle so it doesn't backfire.

tacoma200
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
All Kohlers in the last ten years (exept for the big block Briggs) and never a repair of any kind. Just change the oil and filters. New replacements are a bargain also. Yes, I heard the 25 was a problem child at one time but every company out there has had some lemons.

OMG
04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Own several right now. Great motor from what I can tell.

justanotherlawnguy
04-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Once it starts, its great. Plenty of power. I guess after using a Kawasaki for a couple of years on my Lazer HP, I got spoiled to how easy the Kawasaki starts.

I got a killer deal on it last year so I deal with it, but if I got another I would get the B&S or another Kawasaki....

Duncan90si
04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
The company I used to work for had Walkers with the 25hp Kohler Command. Those motors are the biggest POS out there. They were burning atleast a quart of oil a day with under 800 hrs on them. Every morning we would have to top off the oil and clean or replace the plugs, until he finally replaced the motors. I have never had any other problems with Kohler ever. The 25hp must have been their one bad product.

tomo
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
hello , to every body....

kohler 25--26--27--28 all the same engine other than the EFI units [26/28]and only then the diff is only the efi system .

Unfortunately the 25 was sold in huge numbers and gave this engine a poor reputation . This is also not helped by the lack of knowledge of most people who own AND some who repaired them .Another would be the sub par design that lead to these issues in the first place .NOTHING REPLACES GOOD ROBUST DESIGN .Although there r now many up grades 4 the ealier units many many people have been effected ""leaves a bad taste in your mouth """

ONE OF THE MANY REASONS TO CHOOSE DIESEL

TOMO:waving:

mag360
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
We've got a 25 with over 1500 hrs still on the original plugs and wires. It's a horizontal shaft and fires right up and runs smooth every day. With 100 hour oil changes that oil is claen as can be every time.

In contrast, our 27hp vertical shaft with 800 hrs runs well but is not as easy to start and the oil turns black by the time we change it (every 50 hrs).

Rhinox29
04-04-2007, 05:17 PM
been running Kohlers for 3 years now. Only thing I had to repair that was not routine maint. was a starter.

ProStreetCamaro
04-04-2007, 06:24 PM
If anybody would like I will go outside and hop on our old lazer hp with 2,400 hours on the 18hp kohler that hasnt been started since last fall and still has old gas in it just to show how easy it still starts and how well it runs. I will take a video of it for you guys if you want.