PDA

View Full Version : red mulch

outcold00
04-02-2007, 12:10 AM
i have a pretty simple question, one of my clients wants to order red mulch, and i had heard from a guy who worked at the mulch place, that red mulch attracts more insects? is this true?

Travel'n Trees
04-02-2007, 01:26 AM
More than cedar, cypress, rock?

deyoe1118
04-02-2007, 01:34 AM
I can't stand red mulch but yes I have been told that before...not sure why thoough?!?!?

Dreams To Designs
04-02-2007, 11:24 AM
What I have been told by numerous large mulch suppliers is, all red dyed mulch has ground up pallets in it. This material has not been composted and therefore will rob the soil of nitrogen as it decomposes, but as for attracting more insects, not heard that. You could speculate because it has been processed, the wood maybe easier for insects to eat and digest, but just a theory.

Cedar & cypress are naturally insect resistant, where soft woods & processed material may be easier for the bugs to enjoy. Besides the garish look of red mulch and the fact it will rob nitrogen from the soil, there are better choices.

Kirk

RedMax Man
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I've heard that also about red mulch attracting insects.
I try to keep my clients from using it since its so ugly, fake and unnatural. but a couple still like it. I like the cedar and also use that black mulch.

terrapro
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I've heard that also about red mulch attracting insects.
I try to keep my clients from using it since its so ugly, fake and unnatural. but a couple still like it. I like the cedar and also use that black mulch.

typical black mulch is the same as the red just dyed a different color. the best mulch is regular hardwood, it breaks down to ammend soil and induces proper ph balance. but if youre looking for bug deterrant cedar and cypress cant be beat.

packer101
04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
It itself dosent attract more bugs. hemlock mulch and red cedar repel bugs naturally. Pine dosent help in any way. black that is dyed can repel bugs the natural aged black hemlock does not repel bugs becasue it is already decomposing.

scagwildcat
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
typical black mulch is the same as the red just dyed a different color. the best mulch is regular hardwood, it breaks down to ammend soil and induces proper ph balance. but if youre looking for bug deterrant cedar and cypress cant be beat.

thank you , i was going to say the same thing, i cant believe some people dont know that its all the same. some of my clients think that red mulch is cedar lol

Henry
04-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I think it might attract bulls.

AGLA
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Bark is a natural barrier to keep bugs out of living trees. It is not bug food. Wood is food to a lot of bugs. Wood chips and/or shredded pallets and other demo is wood, not bark.

One of the biggest concerns that I have is that I'm not seeing much pure bark anymore. Even the "premium bark" that I'm seeing has some red dyed wood mixed in with it. It does not look like it at first, but after a few weeks the wood finds its way to the top and the color becomes obvious as the dyed wood becomes separated. Give me finely ground spruce/pine/hemlock any day.

Here in the north east, hardwood bark mulch is not readily available.

packer101
04-04-2007, 06:00 PM
thank you , i was going to say the same thing, i cant believe some people dont know that its all the same. some of my clients think that red mulch is cedar lol

Some red mulch is cedar.. the place i work at sells red cedar 100% cedar dyed red. they are not all dyed black in some cases the black is naturally aged and has no dye in it atall

scagwildcat
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
around my parts its mostly all dyed mulch, but yes cedar is cedar.. what i was talking about was that people think that the red mulch is always cedar.. i purchase from a mulch company that sends much all over the country and then some. biggest mulch distributor around, and all the mulch is colored.
i know the owner, they get scraps from the lumber mills in canada, grind it, color it and sell it.. pure cedar mulch will cost more, and not everyone has it, just like the black mulch that is starting to catch on in this area.