PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on a great yellow page ad

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 10:32 AM
My yellow page ads are up for renewal and I am looking to put together an ad that will really deliver and get the prospective customers calling, any great ideas that really work?

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Best Yellow Page Ad in my area is no yellow page ad.....

But...

When I was in Arizona..my best yellow page ad out of 8 years total...was an in column ad....not a display ad.

Try to get your rep to allow you to start the ad w/ "A sprinkler company"....

that way you will be first in line...and do a 2 or 3 inch in column ad that is waaay cheaper than a large display ad.....

My phone rang off the hook the last 2 years that I had that ad.....different market of course, but it worked for me.

Wet_Boots
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
It might be that a Yellow Pages listing cannot begin with "A" unless it is the actual business name, with documentation to prove it.

"We service what we sell" - is a tried-and-true phrase.

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Not true boots...there are ways around it and a good YP rep will know how to maneuver that....

They will take anyone's money with a pulse and a phone number.....

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 10:55 AM
They say to use a capitive opening line, something that gives the customer what the want. Not to make your name or how many years you've been around. That's what I am trying to figure out, that perfect line.

My solgan is "Let the Force Be with you"

gusbuster
04-02-2007, 10:57 AM
The thing with a display ad, you're also competing with the other high spenders. A little trick that is a little more expensive by not as expensive as a display ad is a two or three color column ad....that is if that option is offered.

Wet_Boots
04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I wanted it once, and was flat out told it was not going to happen unless I made the required changes. Their alternative was for me to buy a bigger display ad. (and why was I not surprised) ~ it can't hurt to ask, in any event. There has to be a reason for all those 'emergency' businesses with a string of A's in their names.

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
One Phrase...

DBA

In colorado it is like $10 to have a DBA associated w/ your original name.....

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
We don't have that here....."BBB " is about 500 a year to do nothing!

justgeorge
04-02-2007, 11:21 AM
They will take anyone's money with a pulse and a phone number.....
Also not true - around here they won't take my money cause I run my business from a cell phone not a landline and they won't put a cell phone number in the phone book.

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 11:24 AM
That's because they want those business phone number dollars!!! We have other books here that take cell numbers.

speedbump
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
The Yellow Pages are almost a must for someone starting out. Once you get a good word of mouth business going, you can cut them to the bone.

We cut down all our ads to line ads, the business has not slowed down any more than it would have normally and we are still paying those crooks over a thousand dollars a month. It's robbery.

bob...

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
They won't take someone with a cellphone number because they have no recourse if you don't pay your yellowpages bill...I bet if you told them you would pay the entire year upfront they would take it.

If you don't pay, they can turn off your landline, but not your cellphone.....

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Does this sound any good?

"Make your home worth more" or "increase the value of your home"

or "Save your time, money and water, put in a sprinkler system"

Duramaxsle1
04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
"Grass is always greener on your side of the fence"

justgeorge
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
That's because they want those business phone number dollars!!! We have other books here that take cell numbers.They did offer me what is basically a fake phone number that all it does is forward to my cell phone. No actual phone line, just a number. At least their online yellow pages will take my money. I think for the clients we're marketing to, the online yellow pages probably gets used WAY more than a paper yellow pages anyway.

Mike Leary
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I used "WHERE SPRINKLERS ARE NOT A SIDELINE". It, in twenty-five years,
got me tire kickers, geeks, wierdos, and request for free estimates over the
phone. I did get some work from newcomers, and service work. It's basically
a way of establishing credibility in your market. Nothing beats word of mouth.

Mjtrole
04-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Does this sound any good?

"Make your home worth more" or "increase the value of your home"

or "Save your time, money and water, put in a sprinkler system"

All of those slogans sound good, but, the customer already knows they want a system if they are looking for a company in the yellow pages. If you include the word FREE in your add you are sure to draw attention to yourself.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I know they already know they want a system in order to be looking, but don't people want to hear what is in it for them, what will they get out of it!

Free is a good word to use, but do most people know it can save them money and make them money?

Mjtrole
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I know they already know they want a system in order to be looking, but don't people want to hear what is in it for them, what will they get out of it!

Free is a good word to use, but do most people know it can save them money and make them money?

My opinion is that you use the yellow pages to get calls for estimates, the time to sell is at the estimate.

I find that most customers, especially with the internet, research products and companies more than before and are very educated on what they want, same goes for me if I hire a contractor to do work at my house, I always research everything.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes I know the time to sell your compant to them is at the time of the estimate, what I am saying is what to say to get them to call "YOU" over the competition to give that estimate.

What makes you call who you call, what makes you say this is the company I want to price it!

Mjtrole
04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Yes I know the time to sell your compant to them is at the time of the estimate, what I am saying is what to say to get them to call "YOU" over the competition to give that estimate.

What makes you call who you call, what makes you say this is the company I want to price it!

Being a person that researches work I want done and being in the market for a new roof for my house I pulled out the local yellow pages went to the roofing section and my first thoughts on who to call would be:

1) a company that doen't do it all, I want someone who specializes in a certain job, I don't want my roof put on by a guy that does chimney sweeping, decks and other stuff.

I know in our business there are other revenue streams available like holiday lighting, landscape lighting and water features, so if you do any of those I would advertise seperately for those.

2) a company that guarantees the work they do, that's very important to most customers. But guarantees are only as good as the person giving them.

All in all I would talk to my neighbors about whos been used in the neighborhood recently and look at there work. So maybe you could put something about references available by calling.

Some extra advertising things we have done in the past is send a friend coupons we simply send out coupons to existing customers and if we are refferred by them we credit them with a free service call or a free winterization for a installation referal.

Also, I find a lot of our business has been had by simply being a small family business and if you are a smaller company put things like "systems installed by company owner" wouldn't hurt.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Ok, some good points!!! I like the "installed by company owner" I'll work on that one!

jcom
04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I put my name in my YP ads and it is amazing how much that has helped our response. We work out of our home/shop and have many of our calls happy to talk with the "name" from the ad. We think it just makes them feel more at ease. Kind of like going into a business and they welcome you by name.

John

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
You personalize the ad? I can see that being a good thing. I haven't tried that before!

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
One point I've made to would-be clients that I know are going to shop is:
"Get references from the contractor that are at least three years old".
We all know any piece of junk will work, sorta, out of the box, but after
the first season, stress & flooding occur & did the contractor return?

PurpHaze
04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I put my name in my YP ads and it is amazing how much that has helped our response. We work out of our home/shop and have many of our calls happy to talk with the "name" from the ad. We think it just makes them feel more at ease. Kind of like going into a business and they welcome you by name.

Maybe in Bismarck but in a big city area they'd prolly mug and rob you by name. :laugh: