PDA

View Full Version : Compact Tractor for Harley or Landpride

Airwave
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using either an Iseki 530/Massey Ferguson 1540 or Kubota on doing lawns with a Landpride or Harley rake attached. I am in the process of buying probably a Lanpride Rake as it is cheaper looks exactly the same as a Harley and has a better warranty on it. I now need to decide what tractor to go for so if anyone has any opinions on what is best the rake size is 6ft. Tractor will also be used for doing some power harrowing before going over with landpride. Thanks in advance.

Bigred350
04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
We have a 6' Harley rake. But it mounts to a skid steer.
It works prefect. Very reliable. Dont buy a piece of equipment just because its cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Tim Wright
04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I bought a tractor last year because it is les expensive than a skid steer. I would get a track skid steer if you can afford it.

If you do need a to get tractor I would get 35-45hp 4x4 with a bucket.

Go with New Holland or JD.

Tim

Lawnworks
04-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I also prefer the skid steer vs tractor. The tractor I was using was 43hp... and it did fine w/ a 72" harley, but it seems the skid is a little more versatile... w/ either one you will get a frickin crick in your neck. You will either be looking behind you at the harley on the tractor, or looking behind you in the skid to see where you are going.

Airwave
04-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I have looked at skid steers as i like all the different attachements you can get for it. Just a bit worried about the tyres on it as I think the weight will force the tyres to far through the soil I could be wrong. No idea how much these skidsteers cost but I may have my mini digger Bobcat in for trade against one. Hmm had my heart set on a tractor but thinking about it ski makes more sense. Although at 6ft5 not sure how comfortable I will be sitting in it and twisting my neck to see where I am going all day on acre lawns.

green horizons
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Skid steers are usually a little quicker than tractors, a little more universal with regard to attachments, but I can navigate a tractor accross a lawn without tearing it up. This feature alone makes a tractor more attractive to my business. I don't have experience with the rakes you mentioned, but I agree with the other post: 30hp +, and definetly 4x4.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Let me qualify my skid steer statement by saying a rubber track skid steer, not one with wheels.

Tim

Airwave
04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
I wish I had a camera today we are doing two, one acre lawns which are a nightmare as there are lots of shores (kind of natural springs) popping up all over the lawn and contractor never put in proper drainage anyway I managed to steer into one with my wee 20hp Kubota with power harrow behind it. Man did i sink away in it had to get a local farmer to pull me out was funny but preventable if that wasn't bad enough 10 mins later drove into another lol. Anyway apart from that I estimate that total time taken to finish the lawns will be 4 days of hard graft with blec walkbehind stone rake. Which is just way to long so I need to change with the times and get new kit asap e'g harley or landpride and new tractor or skid steer. Just wish i had loads of money so i could just go out and buy the best and get on with it but because i dont am affraid to jump in and regret it later.

Lawnworks
04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Get a used one on ebay... I bought a 72" w/ a hundred hours for $3700.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I think I would go back and tell the gen contractor to put a french drain or two in pronto.

BTW-do you not have site inspectors there?

Here in Berkeley County WV that would not go over to well. That site would have to have French drains installed.

Tim

Airwave
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Well this is Ireland so the same rules as in US do not apply. Although they are becoming more stringent by the day which I think is a good thing as builders seem to get away with murder. I did suggest the drains and we would have done them quite cheaply as we could have used all the stone in it that we took of the site saving us time but he did not want to get a digger in on site. Anyway one more day tomorrow and hopefully we will be finished which is great as I have my eye on a new blec seeder on top of all the other gear I want and need to replace one day I may even pay myself some money.