PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Versa Pro Z Mower????????

Liquidfast
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Two year commercial warranty and converts to a walk behind?????

I don't know about you......I'm so buying one.

Liquidfast
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?p1Name=DRPowerHome&Name=VersaProMower&BC=0%3AHome&LinkType=2

Stinky Pete
04-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I think this is the company that actually makes it. http://www.convertiblemower.com/

PBinWA
07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Did anyone ever buy one of these? It would be nice to see a review.

I would have bought one if I had known about them.

lifetree
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
It looks like a very nice machine ... however, I wasn't aware that DR bought them from Rich Mfg. !! The engine on the DR's is the B&S ELS engines, whereas the engines on the Rich machines are Kohler, Kawasaki, etc. So it looks like DR is dialing down the quality of the machine and keeping the price about the same ... surprise, surprise !!

LandscaperPro
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
LandscapePro.com carries the Convertible Mower in all of the Kohler / Kawi Engine sizes that Rich does. Price Includes Shipping to all locations east of the Rockies.

http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=12
http://www.landscaperpro.com/ProductImages/mowerpics/rideorwalk2.jpg

Zooropa93
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
It looks like a very nice machine ... however, I wasn't aware that DR bought them from Rich Mfg. !! The engine on the DR's is the B&S ELS engines, whereas the engines on the Rich machines are Kohler, Kawasaki, etc. So it looks like DR is dialing down the quality of the machine and keeping the price about the same ... surprise, surprise !!

I'm a DR dealer and really don't even want to fool with that unit. It looks like nothing but trouble to me.

mowerbrad
03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I have never seen anyone use one around my area. They seem like a mower that homeowners would buy just to try to get a "cool" mower. I wouldn't waste my money on something that I know nothing about. But for all I know that could be the best mower out there?

LandscaperPro
03-04-2008, 08:02 AM
We currently have a 52" w/ the 25 Kohler in our showroom in Spring Valley, NY.

If you live in the area, come check it out and let everyone on here know what you think.

Video 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=AEqCWL03iWs)

Video 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BoZ5hkUSx64)

O'Shark
05-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm a DR dealer and really don't even want to fool with that unit. It looks like nothing but trouble to me.

(This is my first post here but since nobody seems to have one of these mowers, I thought I should say something. I'm not a lawn care business owner but I do own the Rich Convertible Mower.)

That quote sort of describes what I felt when I saw the Convertible Mower sitting at an authorized dealer. Once I got to spend some time with the demo and get a good look at it, I felt safe in buying one. They are extremely rugged and stupidly simple. I ended up with the 52" 20HP Kohler Command model. I'm on my third year with it now. I've noticed a few things about it during this time:

1. It has an excellent quality of cut. It is totally suitable for a larger residential lawn. I currently mow around 3 acres with it. I've had several compliments on the job that it does. Deck height adjustment is a set it and forget it proposition. You have to get off the mower to set the cut height. The mower deck lift is done using a tiny pedal and a chain lift system of sprockets and jack shafts. The pedal is way too far away for me.

2. Your hands will ache the first couple of times you use it. You'll find yourself stopping to shake the cramps out of them. Strangely, it goes away once your hands and forearms get built up.

3. It drinks a lot more fuel than a single cylinder.

4. It does not like tall or very dense grass. This is where the smallness of the engine shows up. If you can mow on a regular schedule before the grass gets out of hand, you'll be fine.

5. It's a very heavy mower yet it seems to turn extremely quickly. I think that is an illusion due to the very high sitting position.

6. I mow a steep ditch using the walk-behind feature. It is harder to control at first but once you get used to it, it's nice to be able to get off and walk.

6a. It has very poor rear traction with the tires that I have on mine. They don't look anything like the picture. They have more rounded shoulders and are smaller. Wet grass will cause the back of the mower to slide downhill while on an incline. This is my main complaint but I'm sure a different tire would cure that.

7. It has been totally reliable. It cranks longer than many mowers before it starts but it always does start. I have yet to change a belt. There are a lot of grease zerks to feed. Mine has an external oil cooler and the short spin-on filter. I only use Mobil 1 oil in it and it stays clear between changes. The mower deck uses an electric clutch and it has been trouble-free thus far.

I live less than 20 miles from Rich Manufacturing. I knew I could always get parts if I break something. Would I buy another one? I don't know. The ergonomics are kind of weird on it with having to rest your hands on that console and squeezing the levers. Dixie Choppers are also made somewhere around here. I see a ton of them out and about. I'd have to look at one of those or maybe a Gravely first.

earl929
05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the in depth review.
I reluctantly fall into the cool mower buyer catagory.
Since my cool will be out the window when it doubles as a wheel chair while I sike my demetia striken parent into thinking their cutting the grass. I guess I'm going to pass.
What spooked me the most was the brush hog attachment deck on their site. Straight fixed blades with nothing but the belts to take up the hit?
That's what I saw? But to be honest I never called to check it out. Figured if the design dept didn't go with a two piece blade to back up the magic cluth it would need. They probably skimped on a lot of other stuff besides their website. It's sad too. I really dig the concept.

bennatti
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I agree that it is difficult to find reviews of the Versa Pro Mower....if you go to this site
http://www.drpower.com/dr-power-equipment.aspx

click on the versa pro link to the left, and then click on models

There is a section called ratings and reviews which contains 6 reviews

BTW...I did try posting the link to the review page...but when previewing the post I saw that for some reason the entire link wouldn't post

Travis1010
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I saw one for sale and it sat there for ever and i never saw anyone look at it. Looks like to much to go wrong and it would be one big walk behind

earl929
05-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I ended up buying an evolution 2 days ago. Pretty cool in it's own right if you ask me. The 27 hp Kawi pushing on a 48" deck makes it feel like you need to look for a place that sells diesel. It eats foot tall wet grass & heavy weeds with no problems. It's a little finicky on the controls & I could see a full day of it being a pain in the ass. But as a a guy that can't seem to get his street bike on the road enough. I'm feeling good about the money spent. I know I'll be riding this one no matter what. If time is money? This one is money in the bank bro.. I was missing my Hyabusa but couldn't justify going back. Now I don't have to.