PDA

View Full Version : echo 260s or 261t?

RapidRide2
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I am a total newbie and just deciding to pick up 8-10 lawns for a solo side job startup. I need a trimmer. I have heard good and bad on all major brands. I am looking at the echo 260s or 261t. I cannot decide. The 260s seems to have proven durability with the steel shaft. The 261t seems to have alot more usable torque but without the steel shaft,, why echo did this i do not know??? Also if i buy either one of these units new,, will they have an adjustable carb???? Thanks in advance

bcg
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Aluminum weighs less than steel. I've had to replace one shaft on a 261T in almost 3 years but that was because of the type of rack it was riding in originally, not crew abuse. If you're going to be carrying this thing around yourself, definitely get the 261T. If you're going to have employees using it, definitely get the 261T. Seriously, a replacement shaft is only $40 and labor to install it was only another $30 so it's not that big a deal if it does get broken.

tallimeca
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
yes, there are adjustments on the carbs.

I don't stock the t only because i know the guys will take the shields off and the power in that head will twist up the cable no problem when they have 2 feet of line hanging out.

RapidRide2
04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks,, i guess i'm leaning heavier towards the 261t???? even though it is cable driven????

LCPullman
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
We have both cable-drive and steel shaft driven Echo's. We have never had any trouble with either kind. I personally prefer the steel shaft, slightly smoother at low throttle. But thats only a personal preference, both work really well.

clncut
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Just starting out? Why not go with a cheaper but reliable trimmer and save some money. Ive used the Echo srm210 trimmers and cant complain much about them. I did have a carb prob on one but its going on 4 yrs of use. I just bought my third one today and will be moving the 4 yr old one to backup duties. Never had any problem with power either. Just something to think about.

John

LwnmwrMan22
04-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Absolutely the "t", no questions asked, hands down.

Especially if you have or are GOING to have any chain link fencing to trim.

Lynden-Jeff
04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Just starting out? Why not go with a cheaper but reliable trimmer and save some money. Ive used the Echo srm210 trimmers and cant complain much about them. I did have a carb prob on one but its going on 4 yrs of use. I just bought my third one today and will be moving the 4 yr old one to backup duties. Never had any problem with power either. Just something to think about.

John

I use lots of 210's. Nice and light, cheap on gas and they are inexpensive if they get abused. I also have regular 260's for tougher jobs and they are good too. You could also go with a 230S.

Cheers
Jeff

Bush Hog
04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Go for the 261T, best purchase I have made in a long time, super torque and more control of the head speed around objects. As for the comment of extra torque twisting the drive cable, the 261T would be more gentle on the cable than the 261. The extra torque comes from gearing down the head, making the drive cable do less work.