PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent! I wish there was a venting forum!

4curbappeal
04-03-2007, 12:18 AM
I have a customer who is a serious PITA! Oh, I forgot to mention that this person is a relative! I know what you all are going to say, but let me give you some info first!

1. First to complain, last to pay!

2. 2500 sq. ft. driveway and tells me today that she has never paid over $20 to have her driveway plowed! I charged her $25(during a blizzard) and there were 8 foot snow drifts up to her "F-ing" roof!

3.Her lawn is a nightmare! I have honestly almost knocked my self out cold on one of the 9 big ass bird feeders she has hanging from one of 6000 trees in her yard. I charge her $25 to cut this lawn and have to listen her BS every month. Any other reputable LCO in the world would charge at least $50 per visit. (I have about 60% of the houses in this neighborhood and believe I do a kick ass job)!!

I have too much more to say and my blood preasure is skyrocketing! I think I will go have another beer! Thanks for listening everyone!!!

TNT Lawncare
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Easy fix there. Stop drinking beer and you won't need the $25. See, its a vicious cycle

4curbappeal
04-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Easy fix there. Stop drinking beer and you won't need the $25. See, its a vicious cycle

You got me on that one. You are 100% right. I'm just po'd and thought 2 or 3 beers would settle me down! Thanks!

TNT Lawncare
04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Just trying to be a wise ass. I know how it is, trust me.

4curbappeal
04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks man! 12 lawns today as a solo. Trying to get everyones lawns looking great before Easter. It is going to rain and possibly snow on wednesday. I am still tring to sell houses in this ghetto town we call Anderson and I have a relative that lives in a $400,000 house that still owes me $ from last October. The sun will shine tomorrow!!!!!

Scag48
04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Working for friends/relatives sucks. But, just about EVERYONE on this forum has done it at some point to either get themselves into business or just wanted to help someone out. In the end, nobody hardly ever wins. I worked for a few friends, most were cool, but I ended up getting tangled with some BS on a couple jobs.

4curbappeal
04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Amen. Thanks for the reply! I am still stewing and need to let it go!

lifetree
04-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Working for friends/relatives sucks. But, just about EVERYONE on this forum has done it at some point to either get themselves into business or just wanted to help someone out. In the end, nobody hardly ever wins. I worked for a few friends, most were cool, but I ended up getting tangled with some BS on a couple jobs.

I agree ... suggest that she find another LCO, it's the only way you'll have some peace.

Runner
04-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Yep. If i is like that, you just have to let her know that you just can't afford to do it.

dave k
04-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Start the new year out right, let them go and it will do you both good. Peace

supercuts
04-03-2007, 07:30 AM
nothing worse than working for friends and family. i simply tell them i wont do it. your in a sticky situation, by quiting, your relative will most likely be mad. but by the sounds of it shes already mad. id butter up some speach about how you have beening doing it cheap for her but now your business has grown with large overhead and you cannot keep working for that amount. tell her im sure you can find someone new or a highschool kid to continue at that price. leave it at that

1cooltreeguy
04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Let Em Go. Then you can smile at family reunions. LOL

topsites
04-03-2007, 07:40 AM
As calmly and nicely as possible, see if you can call (and hope you catch the answering machine lol), but either way say this:

Yes Hi this is yourname. I am calling to inform you that I will no longer be able to service your property effective immediately.
Thank you, and have a nice day.
click

If, per chance she answers, say it anyway but say it. In other words, don't let her lead you into an argument, simply get the message across effectively some kind of way and asap, say thank you and hang up. So if you get the first sentence out and this relative starts in with 'Oh now hold on a second you cant do that' (or whatever) then your very next words are 'thank you, and have a nice day' and click. Don't argue, please.

Then, politely ignore all future calls of hers for some time.

And, make yourself this company policy:
YourLco does not perform work for relatives, friends, or neighbors.

So now it's against company policy and save yourself headache.

Scagguy
04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't think twice about dumping her. Don't care if she is a relative. Life is way to short to be taking abuse like that. Now, go pick up the phone....call her....and tell the unappreciative winch that you are f%&*ing done!!!

Darrin A.
04-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Do you know anyone just starting out in your area? This could be a real good way to get rid of her and she won't know you are dumping her. Tell her you want to help this new LCO out and are giving them her account so that, as others said, you don't have to mix family, friends and business. Just a thought.

And yes, physically, 2 or 3 beers will calm you down. Unfortunately, it's a depresant and will make you think more about it.

chipk1
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=4curbappeal;1777422]I have a customer who is a serious PITA! Oh, I forgot to mention that this person is a relative!

QUOTE]

Rule number uno! Sorry I had to say it. Relatives can be a PITA to work for. I turned one of mine down. They have crap all over the yard and they said just mow around it. I said thanks but no thanks. They are just too comfortable in expecting favors.

DaughtryLC
04-03-2007, 09:44 AM

I completely AGREE!!

MSS Mow
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
The only lawns I do for relatives, I do for free! So, no b!tching allowed. I mow my parents' lawn, grandmother's lawn and an aunt's lawn (she's elderly). They have no say what so ever as to when or how I mow their lawn. And believe me, they are all very happy to just have it done.

My father mows his sometimes with one of my Z's but usually we did it together usally with both my Z's.

mcwlandscaping
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
The only lawns I do for relatives, I do for free! So, no b!tching allowed. I mow my parents' lawn, grandmother's lawn and an aunt's lawn (she's elderly). They have no say what so ever as to when or how I mow their lawn. And believe me, they are all very happy to just have it done.

My father mows his sometimes with one of my Z's but usually we did it together usally with both my Z's.
Same here.....no complaining allowed!!

lifetree
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Do you know anyone just starting out in your area ? This could be a real good way to get rid of her and she won't know you are dumping her. Tell her you want to help this new LCO out and are giving them her account ...

I like this approach ... good idea Darrin A.

4curbappeal
04-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Do you know anyone just starting out in your area? This could be a real good way to get rid of her and she won't know you are dumping her. Tell her you want to help this new LCO out and are giving them her account so that, as others said, you don't have to mix family, friends and business. Just a thought.

And yes, physically, 2 or 3 beers will calm you down. Unfortunately, it's a depresant and will make you think more about it.

I wouldn't give this kook to my worst enemy! She has a way of driving people to drink 2 or 3 cases of beer! Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!