PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane Super Surfer Review

Brieldo
07-27-2001, 02:32 PM
Today I decided to take a dealer up on demoing a Dane Super Surfer. I'll be quite honset, i thought it woudl suck royally to stand up on a machine for hours on end mowing, but my thoughts have changed now that i've used it for awhile. Of course, ZTR is something one must get used to, but once that was mastered while standing up, the machine became a joy to use. It's very compact and makes for easy trimming. On that note, my machine had the 52" deck. I'd recommend the 60" for trimming, because on the 52", the body of the machine and the deck are the same length and it makes for difficult trimming at times. Other than that, the mower has great power, very mobile and comfortable to operate. 2 thumbs up from me!

Ben

Kent Lawns
07-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Buy one and those thumbs will go down like the USS Thresher.

syzer
07-27-2001, 07:10 PM
I agree we have used and love the surfers we are about to add one to our equipment list. We were able to demo one for over a month and it is an awesome machine!

Brieldo
07-27-2001, 08:03 PM
What do you mean about the thumbs??/

KirbysLawn
07-27-2001, 08:30 PM
I know several guys who own them and love'em. I have tried it and it's a cool machine.

jnjnlc
07-27-2001, 09:15 PM
I tried out the 36" Wright Stander at the expo. It was diffent for sure. Hard to get used to at first. I liked it though.

Evan528
07-27-2001, 09:50 PM
I demoed both the sufer and the wright stander at the expo! No comparison! The stander had much smoother controls where as on the surfer i felt like i had no control!!! Everything about the stander seemed better!

BerksLawn
07-28-2001, 06:46 PM
Off the subject but Syzer do you live or keep your equipment off old joppa road?

jnjnlc
07-28-2001, 10:33 PM
Got to agree with Evan there. Stander was better.

geogunn
07-29-2001, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Kent Lawns
Buy one and those thumbs will go down like the USS Thresher.

kent--help us out here. what first hand knowlege do you have that calls for that comment? many thanks for a frank response.

GEO

Kent Lawns
07-29-2001, 10:11 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I do.

Having been a Great Dane owner, I got all exicted about the new Super Surfer and bought 2 last spring -- what a mistake!
23 Kawasaki 61" deck.

I thought I detailed some of my problems on a previous post, but they were in the shop more than we used them.

That's right - we put more hours on our dealers' machines than the Super Surfer.

Cracked frames, broken welds, bent support arms, repeated belt failures, etc., etc.

On top of that, we had engine problems (which isn't Dane's fault)

Was our situation isolated? Nope! Both the dealer and the distributor we dealt with were so frustrated with Dane, they dropped the dealership.

Our dealer took care of us, Dane didn't.

We still have some of the OLD surfers, and they're decent machines, but the Super Surfer is JUNK.

SLS
07-29-2001, 01:53 PM
My eXmark dealer also has Great Dane.

I went to get new blades for my Laser last week and saw 5 Super Surfers in his repair bay! :eek:

Way too many units for a small dealer who probably only stocks 20 machines or so......

....when asked about this he frowned and was VERY evasive about answering...probably embarrassed...I did not bring it up again. :confused:

Another LCO in my neighborhood has one. It cuts badly (scalps like a mad indian) and he showed me the places where the frame has been re-welded and a caster that had snapped off. :(

His review? "I NEVER SHOULDA TRADED THE OL' BUNTON!"

Super Surfer? No Thank You!

UGA
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
I was just in there today having to get a spindle replaced and my deck hammered out and there were 2 SuperSurfers in there both owned by the same LCO who I understand bought about 9 of them when they came out. He has probably not been a happy fella'.

Grass Master
05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
My newer version of the Super Surfers have been flawless!

They are great machines and now that John Deere owns Dane the quality has gone way up!

Just make sure that you buy a new TC model..the TC stands for Turf Care a new John Deere manufacturing facility that the Great Dane units are now built in.

FYI.....

SLS
05-15-2003, 12:58 PM
UGA,

Yep, Commercial Lawn.

But remember...I posted this observation (above) in July 2001....nearly 2 years ago.

Wow! Look at how time flys when were having fun. :)

hustlers
05-16-2003, 12:26 AM
the john deere deck is a piece of junk