PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this lady???????

LawnSharks
04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Friday, I was mowing on a street in my own neighborhood that I maintain 5 of the 9 or so lawns. Between two of my accounts lives a lady about 50 years of age, nice looking, very polite but her lawn looks like crap. I've tried for a couple of years to take over her mowing and to get her lawn in the same beautiful shape as her neighbors but she won't budge. She will mow about every two weeks or so and has never edged or trimmed. You get the picture. Well Friday, I'm mowing her neighbors lawn and she comes over and stops me and I'm thinking, hey, I'll do her lawn and get it in good shape before Easter. I'm riding my ZTR and the walk behind is on the trailer.
I asked if she needed me to mow and she said that she had noticed that I never use the walk behind on her street but she had seen us use it on other lawns in the area. I quickly explained when we use the riders and when we use the WB's. She said she didn't want me to mow but wondered if she could BORROW the WB while I cut the other lawns on her street with the ZTR!!!
Can you believe some customers? Do they think we are complete idiots or are they just that ignorant?

robbo521
04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
i would have said sure but i need to help you!

Lynden-Jeff
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I would have said you can borrow it for $100 lol.

DaughtryLC
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
;) You should have just stared at her in a died silence!!;)

Mowman16
04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
wow, that is one dumb person.:laugh: :laugh:

marckxman
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Maybe tell her the only people allowed to "borrow" equipment are called employees. Tell her you will need her SSN and will start her @ $8/hr.

Seriously, that is messed up. I would not lend out even a string trimmer let alone a mower of any type. I can think of half a dozen way for that to turn into a nightmare right off the bat.

Raven386
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
thats great. just imagine, youd let her borrow it and then in a week or two she would have a little trailer and a w/b towing behind her SUV :laugh:

LawnSharks
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't give her any ideas>>>>>>>>

marckxman
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way but I just picture her being a realtor. This is the only type of person I can picture with the stones to ask that question.

The realtor's mantra? "It never hurts to ask"
The reality. There are many things that should never be asked.

scagwildcat
04-03-2007, 11:08 AM
ive been asked before,not for a mower but other tools, i simply tell them i will loan it to them then tell them the price.. lol
i would have said sure! for 6k you can use it! and i usually get the ( wow i cant believe i asked that) look !
i have had calls from my clients before, (client)we are going to home depot to pick up a few things, as you know we dont have a truck, can we use yours? it will only take a hour or so! lol

Daner
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry I don't lend tools. If It were me...I would steer clear of this Lady...I can only Inmagine what you would go through If she was one of your accounts

cantoo
04-03-2007, 05:05 PM
You might have missed out on something good.
You should have said "sure you can use the wbh I'm not using it right now."
Then follow up with " Oh yeah I noticed that you don't have a boyfriend with you, mind if i use what he ain't using right now?"

Grits
04-03-2007, 05:13 PM
You might have missed out on something good.
You should have said "sure you can use the wbh I'm not using it right now."
Then follow up with " Oh yeah I noticed that you don't have a boyfriend with you, mind if i use what he ain't using right now?"

:laugh:
I don't know if I would hit any "crazy lady poon"!

lifetree
04-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Maybe tell her the only people allowed to "borrow" equipment are called employees. Tell her you will need her SSN and will start her @ $8/hr ...

I agree with this comment !!

okeefl
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
WOW! The nerve of some people!

okeefl
04-03-2007, 05:50 PM
:laugh:
I don't know if I would hit any "crazy lady poon"!

Grey squirrell anyone?

DBL
04-03-2007, 05:54 PM
tell her for insuranse reasons

pjslawncare/landscap
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Never ever, not in a million years, nope, no way absolutely not and HELL NO!!!!!!!!!

Woody82986
04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
The only piece of equipment I have even let a client of mine touch was a shovel because he asked me to do a little quick dirt work and he stepped up, grabbed the shovel and got into it with me for a few minutes. I had a new client this year though, that wanted to see what it was like to steer a zero turn mower! He asked very politey if there was any way he could "test drive" my hustler for a few seconds. He lives on a busy street so I told him we could go around to his driveway in his back yard. He had a blast goofing around with that thing. That was definatey a first in my book.

scchamblee
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way but I just picture her being a realtor. This is the only type of person I can picture with the stones to ask that question.

The realtor's mantra? "It never hurts to ask"
The reality. There are many things that should never be asked.

I dont appreciate this comment... In addition to cutting grass I am also a Real estate agent!!!

lifetree
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
... I had a new client this year though, that wanted to see what it was like to steer a zero turn mower! He asked very politey if there was any way he could "test drive" my hustler for a few seconds. He lives on a busy street so I told him we could go around to his driveway in his back yard. He had a blast goofing around with that thing. That was definatey a first in my book.

The problem with this scenario is that if he had by some chance gotten hurt, I don't think you're insurance would have covered it.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
it took some big stones to ask to borrow your mower

marckxman
04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I dont appreciate this comment... In addition to cutting grass I am also a Real estate agent!!!
Sorry, I guess you already know how they are then.

stumpslawncare
04-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I get more amuzed everyday by some peoples stupidity, did she really think you would say YES?

LawnSharks
04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I think she is still waiting on an answer.........I just walked away shaking my head. No gray squirrel....No mower....No new customer. But, not a complete waste...we all got a chuckle out of her stupidity or engorged "stones". Let's see if she flags me down again next week???

Uranus
04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
"Sure you can use it. Just get me $2,500 and you can use it all you want. Or you can pay me $50 now and I can take care of the lawn for you this week."

Like that is going to happen. Of course you would have to adjust the price depending on size and age of the mower. Some people have no clue.

Shawns Lawns
04-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe you should start a crusade to change the sterotypes they have.:waving:

scchamblee
04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Maybe you should start a crusade to change the sterotypes they have.:waving:

I DO!!! All day everyday. Atleast once a day I have someone tell me I dont trust a real estate agent. And when I ask them what causes this distrust 9 times out of 10 they have been screwed over by a woman agent. We have good and bad in our job just like all jobs do.

marckxman
04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I DO!!! All day everyday. Atleast once a day I have someone tell me I dont trust a real estate agent. And when I ask them what causes this distrust 9 times out of 10 they have been screwed over by a woman agent. We have good and bad in our job just like all jobs do.
Good for you.
Stereotypes are just that. A generalization about a group.
Of course there are good and even great RA's. I have had the pleasure of dealing several.
But there is just something about the profession that attracts this "Type A", me first and screw everyone else, personallity. I am sure you have met many yourself. The type that just wants to get paid and really doesn't give a rip about the people they are representing.

And yes, the worst seem to be women.

motoguy
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
My fiancee is a closer at a title company. Several of my best friends are (successful) real estate investors. I've got a lot of 1st hand experience with Realtors, and I've heard a lot of stories from people I trust.

I don't have a high opinion of Realtors. ;)

marckxman
04-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Generally (and this a COMPLETE generality) REALTORS SUCK.

Even most realtors will agree.

scchamblee
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I agree that there are some terrible ones. Most of the people taht have complained to me about agents are the ones that I drive all over MS showing them property only to find out that might buy somethin NEXT year!!!! This after I waste a day and a tank of gas cause none of the stuff I showed them will be on the market then.

I have been screwed by other agents (make me show the land then cut me out of the picture) I just smile and tell my co-workers not to work with THAT agent. I dont generalize, even about diferent agencies... I only say bad things about the agent. This usually works itself out by everybody losing faith in them and they move on to another area.

motoguy
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Scchamblee,
I hope you understand that I'm not trying to attack you personally. Maybe you're not of the Realtor stereotype that I have, and I hope that's the case.

I agree that there -are- successful, dedicated, ethical realtors out there. In my experience, you're more likely to find this at the top of the Realtor food chain. It seems like that "put the customer first" mentality is a common basis for success.

Unfortunately, it seems like 90% of the Realtors I meet / know are of the "Look, I'm a Realtor now! Let the big bucks flow!" mindset. You know the type, I'm sure. Just got their license and a big payment (that they can't really afford) on a nice new SUV, Cadillac or Lexus. "Fake it till you make it" syndrome.
Oh...and my favorite...they're still RENTING an APARTMENT. How can I seriously take real estate advice from someone who's still renting an apartment? Of all the people who should know the value of equity, property, and owning...-and- be able to find a good deal...it should be a Realtor.

I see this every day at my fiancee's office. Some Realtor calling her 5 times a day to make sure their "check will be ready today" because they "have rent due". Or screwing over every client they can, for an extra few $. Or taking advantage of new and naive clients, for additional commission or compensation. Or, of course, steering clients to a sub-optimal house (based on the client's needs, budget, etc), because it costs more, and hence, a higher commission check.
I'm not saying all Realtors are poorly-educated, money grubbing, snakes in the grass with poor ethics. I've met a couple who aren't. ;)

Kind of like Lawn service. The best part of it? Anyone can do it. The worst part of it? Anyone can do it. lol

scchamblee
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I agree with you, I am going broke in the real estate business because "I am not pushy enough." yes, I have been told this. I refuse to push someone into buying something they dont want. I sell mostly large acerage and recrational land, no commercial and hardly any homes. Anyone who is going to invest in sometrhing like this needs to really want it and it needs to suit their needs. That is why I am noit pushy and do all I can to help someone find what they want.

CompletePropertyCare
04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
To reply to the original post. My first time at a new account last year the home owner came out with a bottle of jack in his hand and argued with me about why I wouldn't let him use my w/b. Needless to say he was dropped after two cuts.