PDA

View Full Version : Comparing two bids

laterno
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to get some of your opinions on two bids I have for installing a residential sprinkler system. I'm interested in your thoughts of the brands each contractor uses.

1. All Weathermatic parts
-Turbo 3 Rotor Heads
-4" LX Spray Heads
-1" Electric Valves
-08 Station Controller
-3/4" Wilkins Backflow Prevention Device

2. Mixture of parts
-Rainbird 1800 series turf spray heads
-Rainbird 1800 series landscape spray heads
-Hunter PGP rotary heads
-Irritrol 2400T electric valves
-Hunter Pro-C controller
-Watts 009 backflow preventer

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ground Master
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
numero dos

Wet_Boots
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Door number two

DanaMac
04-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Yup - #2. Even with the 2400 valves :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

laterno
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
That's what I kind of figured. The price for #2 was about $750 higher. However, the contractor for #1 said that if I had certain brands I wanted to use for each component, the price wouldn't change. He said their costs for different brands are only pennies apart but Weathermatic is what they have found to the most reliable.

Therefore, I'm thinking I should go with #1 and ask for a mixture of brands. Do you guys recommend I ask for any other specific brand/part that I did not list above?

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Comparing brand for brand and the same application prices are very close. Don't just look at the parts but who is doing it and how, remember you get what you pay for. Find out why the difference is so huge.

laterno
04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I have done research on both contractors. The both have been in business for 18+ years and have good standing with the better business bureau. Also, they were both recommended by friends who have used them and were very satisfied. Beyond that, I'm not sure how else I can compare them except to move on to parts/price/service costs. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM
If the parts are the same style meaning rotors, sprays etc. I can't see it being in the costs of the product like the first quoter has told you. So look at how each of them will be doing the job and how long the figure it will take them. What about Warranties?

laterno
04-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Both contractors offer 2 year warranty on labor. The cheaper contractor will take 2 days to install and the other will be done in 1 day. So, there is really no difference b/c one day does not matter to me.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Sounds like your getting hosed by contractor #2. Get #1 do change the product and your done!

kozmo
04-03-2007, 01:39 PM
After 18 years company one should Know his parts better also sounds like he doesn't care what quality he installs considering he is willing to use what ever parts you want. If I feel a customer wants parts what i consider to be a problem. i tell them to get another contractor I'm not to flexible that way.We install what i consider to be best in the field.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes see you just said it....What you consider and what he considers are too different things! It's like poly vs PVC, to eaches own!

Mike Leary
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
After 18 years company one should Know his parts .We install what i consider to be best in the field.

BUY THAT MAN A LAWN GENIE BEER!:cool2:

Superior L & L
04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
irritrol valves
Rain Bird 1804 sprays
Hunter I-20 roto
Rain Bird Timer = easy programing
Hunter Timer = more options

That would be the best system.............just my 2 cent

for the record we install a all Hunter system. People like a one branded system ..............................just my 2 cents

LCPullman
04-04-2007, 02:16 AM
If you are sure that contractor number one is going to do a good job, then ask for the Hunter Pro-C controller and the Hunter PGP rotors. Those would probably be the most important parts.

A few other questions in comparing the two contractors: If you are watering both lawn and landscape beds, do they both separate the lawn from the landscape beds.

I have a sprinkler company around here who is willing to water both landscape beds and lawn together. Sometimes that cuts his cost significantly over mine, but there are problems with watering both together.

How many zones are they spliting the lawn into? Sometimes one contractor will put more on a zone than he really should, or he will stretch the spacing, both can lead to more watering necessary to keep out dry spots.

justgeorge
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Beyond that, I'm not sure how else I can compare them except to move on to parts/price/service costs. Is there something else I should be looking for?
Are they both installing the same number of heads and same number of zones? That could account for the price difference if the cheaper one isn't giving you the same coverage. Of course that could mean that the more expensive one is overdoing the coverage.......

bicmudpuppy
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Just wanted to get some of your opinions on two bids I have for installing a residential sprinkler system. I'm interested in your thoughts of the brands each contractor uses.

1. All Weathermatic parts
-Turbo 3 Rotor Heads
-4" LX Spray Heads
-1" Electric Valves
-08 Station Controller
-3/4" Wilkins Backflow Prevention Device

2. Mixture of parts
-Rainbird 1800 series turf spray heads
-Rainbird 1800 series landscape spray heads
-Hunter PGP rotary heads
-Irritrol 2400T electric valves
-Hunter Pro-C controller
-Watts 009 backflow preventer

Thanks in advance for your comments.

There are guys on here that like the WM Controllers, I'm not a fan. I like some of the WM valves, I bet your getting "silver bullets" and again, I'm not a fan. The 3/4" BF is a warning sign for me. Most guys installing 3/4" in DC's are saving themselves about 5 bucks, and if your willing to do that to your customer for 5 bucks, then your not a guy I'm going to drink with at the end of the day. You read through enough posts here, and your going to find that Contractor #2 has parts that the majority of the contractors here like. You don't state the size on the BF, but I would almost infer a 1" from the parts list. On a side note, I personally despise WM heads, but this is a holdover attitude. WM has "gone with the flow" and switched a lot of their head design over the last several years.
Last comment, contractor #1 is probably co-oping most of his advertising, lit, and signage through WM. This is something a lot of contractors miss out on. If your image in the YP or truck signage is important to you, or if you like to kick an add to the newspaper, there are a lot of unused dollars out there if your a "dedicated" contractor. Most homeowners don't do their homework and will take what a good installer gives. The WM product will last past the warranty and if your service is good, most customers don't realize their systems has a higher maint. cost than others. Contractor #1 may be a savy guy milking WM for a lot of great benefits and conforming to customers "by request" to satisfy those doing the homework. I hate it when customers do it, but show the contractor you like the other proposal and ask him about the differences. He might meet you in the middle and you still get a great system. Or show the higher bid your lower bid and give him a chance to "wiggle". You win either or both ways.

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
He has already mentioned that contractor#1 would install any product he wanted for the same price, he just preffered WM.

BSME
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I would say take the parts list to guy #1 and have him install that except the 3/4'' backflow is a warning sign not to use #1.

Ok... I didn't add anything new.. still wanted to vote

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
How do you guys figure a 3/4" backflow a warning sign, that's all we use here on the copper lines inside is a dual check 3/4". Am I missing something?

Wet_Boots
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
"Dual Check" is a device that is different than the more customary "Double Check Valve Assembly" - same function, but only the more expensive one has the ability to be tested for functionality. In areas where toxic-rated backflow is required by law, neither of the aforementioned devices is used.

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Here this is what is required, I think you guys have a lot by-law over irrigation then here, it is changing slowly here.

Thanks!