PDA

View Full Version : Power buggy/wheelbarrow

General Landscaping
04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm building a power wheelbarrow and want some input from those who use them.
Mine will be using a hydro transaxle from a lawn tractor and be built for about 500# load.

I'm going back and forth between a stand on or walk behind.
Walk behind will take up less trailer space; stand on will still go top speed at the end of the day.:walking:

Is anybody using a stand on and have issues with the maneuverability? I'm thinking the walk behind will have the maneuvering advantage.

Anybody have some other words of wisdom for a power buggy construction project?

Airwave
04-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi there I am based in Ireland and we have two muck trucks powered by Honda engines. I cant see us doing any work without them so far they have been great but some of the pressure points especially where the tipping point is has had to be rewelded several times so I would certainly ensure you use the best quality and tough materials in construction. Ours are walk behind and extremely manouverable although I would like to have had slightly wider tires as they would not mark the lawns and ground as much when we are installling lawns. Ours also has 4 gears and reverse I would have to say 2 forward one reverse would be sufficient 1 for normal fast speed one for climbing steep hills and of course reverse. The less complicated is better and the less likely it will break. I hope this is of some use to you.

Darren

LindblomRJ
04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
There was a thread on here a while back about some who took a Toro WB and made into a powered cart. Uses a Sulkey on it.

Mike Fronczak
04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I understand what your trying to do. And I understand the "concrete buggies" are very expensive. However I believe the "DR" people make one that is reasonable, don't know how well it would hold up. try www.drpower.com, they start at $ 1400.00 up to $ 2300.00. By the time your done I bet you will have that into yours.

LindblomRJ
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
With old parts that are still in usable condition. Might be able put somthing together for less than $1000. Provided you are good at scrounging and welder.

McKeeLand
04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
i have been dreaming of building a buggy for a long time, just have not had the shop space to tackle a project like that. this winter i will and would like to do something. what if you made the stand on a ride on be able to flip up so that you would have more room on the trailer?

LindblomRJ
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
This is the one I was thinking about

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=139655

Bigred350
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Ive got one here it is.....
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Bigred350/DSCN0760.jpg

LindblomRJ
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Bigred I would love to have something like that. Or a Toro Dingo would work too.

General Landscaping
04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I understand what your trying to do. And I understand the "concrete buggies" are very expensive. However I believe the "DR" people make one that is reasonable, don't know how well it would hold up. try www.drpower.com, they start at $ 1400.00 up to $ 2300.00. By the time your done I bet you will have that into yours.

So far I'm about $5 into it and have a E/S engine, hydro transaxle, more than enough idlers, linkage, & brackets, steering parts & axle, 4 good tires (2 little, 2 big), frame (already drilled and shaped for engine & trans), wiring harness, dump hardware(old deck lift parts), and other goodies I havn't scrounged yet.

Looks like I'm out a tub, belt, battery, paint, and a few trips to the metal rack.

($5 was for carb parts)

DR can kiss my ass for $2K.
My project is going to be in the same general type as the DR.

McKeeLand: Good thought on the stand on end idea. I'll have to orient the engine correctly,think about how to make the fuel tank not leak, and use a gel battery. That should free up some space.:clapping:

Is it preferred to have the dump pivot at the load balance point? (locking mechanism will be built into dump handle)

Sounds like there is interest in this type project. I'll take some pics as progress is made...... Gotta do my taxes first:angry: :angry: :angry: I'll be working on the power buggy or fleeing the country by 4/16

Next project after this..... bed edger..... I just can't see forking out that kind of $$$$ for a very simple machine. I'll have to build it to accept cutters from a popular brand. I'm not really knowledgeable on attaching carbide tips to steel.

eskerlite
04-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a dr powerwagon thats 4 years old and we cant kill it.I paid 1600.00 new. Its been rolled 6 times and it holds all of its 800lbs of capacity. I made a removable sulky to stand on for longer distances from truck to job. Im realy impressed. What is your time worth?
Sean C.

G.M.Landscaping
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Here's a couple pics. I've changed some things since this pic, like bigger wheels up front. It has worked very good so far. It also has a velke on it.

haybaler
04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
That's a great Idea to build one. Every store bought one I've seen has been homeowner junk and would not stand up to commercial use. I think walk behind would be best. I woud start with a WB mower and unbold the cutter deck, the weld a frame out in front of it with bigger caster wheels. then replace stock tires (drive wheels) with bigger aggressive tread tires. I just had a great idea. Anyone ever see those little self dumping mini dumpsters?? there perfect, you can pick them up with a set of forks and move them around the job site and ther perfectly balance so they dump. if you took one of those and welded it onto your frame you would have the ultimate machine.

haybaler
04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
you posted that pic just as I was typing. that's exactly what I pictured except mine would be twice the size. both would be handy

LindblomRJ
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Almost looks like something from Lawrence Stone. Only a sprayer. It looks good.

quicknclean
04-20-2007, 02:35 AM
I have been working on a motorized wheelbarrow for awhile now. I want a big capacity, but I want it to be loadable, and haulable=light weight...SO, I am going with a wheelbarrow style. I am using a two cycle snowblower engine, so that you can flip it over and not have oil issues. There are actually quite a few companys out there that produce these.

Great work guys!

Paul

Airwave
04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
not sure if the do these in US but we have the Muck Trucks absolutely brilliant.

unit28
04-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Here's mine...:laugh:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/farm-construction/mini-dump0002.jpg

Fisrt ever ZTR, with hydro dump!

J/K..GM ,
I like yours, very well done.

green horizons
04-21-2007, 11:26 PM
The Muck Truck looks effective. Albeit a little narrow for the weight it carries. GM Landscaping, have you transported material other than mulch? Can it effectively haul soil and stone?

hardscaper
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I would recommend the attached.

leaflandscape
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Can you run them straight into a dump trailer? They look like they'd tip over backwards. I'd also wonder if they're worth the cost versus wheelbarrows (obviously they're better on your back).

mverick
08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a Concrete buggy Whiteman I think. It's wheeled. And another that's smaller with rubber tracks. The tracked one does yards and also slopes great. Hauls a lot of rock. The wheeled one hauls 1500lbs but not so good on slopes.

I also do concrete though and getting it to the back yard for a patio with a wheel barrow or one of these. I'll use one of these 3 times instead of 3 guy's with wheelbarrows.

PlatinumLandCon
08-24-2007, 08:48 PM
muck truck is 1900GBP:dizzy: thats almost 4 grand US!!

hardscaper
08-27-2007, 09:37 AM
In our conditions wheeled machines will not work, we run 5 tracked eurodig/fiori dumpers. Payback is 4 months with the work we do. The last one we bought cost us $6500.

Airwave
08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Well my mucktruck was 1900 euros which is 2600 and when we do our new lawn installs it certainly does the job and shift the rock.

Woodland
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm going back and forth between a stand on or walk behind. Walk behind will take up less trailer space; stand on will still go top speed at the end of the day.:walking:

I've got news for you...if the machine is self propelled, it won't matter whether you ride it or walk behind it. It will go the same speed at 4 o'clock as it did at 7 o'clock! The only question will be whether your in an upright position, safely manuvering it at 4 as opposed to being dragged around!!:laugh: