PDA

View Full Version : Help!: Rain Bird system won't work

rose123
04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi.

I moved into a home last summer that has a Rain Bird ESP-6Si system. 6 stations. Worked great last summer and fall. It was set to an auto program that ran every 3 days.

We switched the auto-function off during the winter. But this spring when we turned the auto function back on, the system hasn't worked. it won't even run via manual start (for each station). No error messages showing on the controller display. The controller has power.

Any ideas? I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I can adjust something (if possible) if you think it needs to be adjusted.

Before I call an irrigation contractor ($$$), does anyone have a suggestion re: what I should check/adjust/look_at? Thanks.

Wet_Boots
04-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Turn the water on yet? You'd be surprised how often that gets overlooked.

rose123
04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
We never diabled the water supply. The control panel allows you to set to from Off mode to auto mode. We only switched to from "Auto" to "Off" during th winter. We switched it back to Auto weeks ago, but the recurring watering has not happened.

Wet_Boots
04-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Find the zone control valves, and attempt to manually activate the zones. Bypass the controller for now.

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Does it have a rain sensor on it?

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Any work done around the property that could have cut the wires?

Duramaxsle1
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Is it plugged in and not just running off the battery back-up?

Dirty Water
04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Is there any time set on the zones?

Mike Leary
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Have you removed the battery to prove you've got power? Those little dears
fry easy. How old is the clock? Rain-Bird had problems with the keys & a
tech sheet was posted on how to clean the contacts, one could be stuck.

Mike Leary
04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Before I call an irrigation contractor ($$$), does anyone have a suggestion re: what I should check/adjust/look_at? Thanks.[/QUOTEUUUU

SprinklerGuy
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
GFCI

Is the plug hot?
did the GFCI button pop?

I win............

Mike Leary
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
If you win, then we're out of Lawn Genie beer for today. Good point with the
el cheapo clocks: no GFIs, no garage door openers, no freezers on the same
circuit.

Keith
04-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I've had several calls that turned out to be a GFCI trip.

I've also run into a few ESP's that were behaving erratically or not at all, and cutting the power and pulling the battery for a few minutes did the trick.

Remote Pigtails
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Just a question not trying to start an argument. Should we really be helping a homeowner and robbing a local irrigator some easy service money? With all the hard work getting an easy service check is reallllly nice.

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Nothing wrong with helping anyone out, he could call rainbird and get the same information or call a supplier. He will come out of here thinking that this trade does it's best to help and would recomend to his friends on getting a system put in. Much more money then a service call.

Remember what goes around comes around.

SprinklerGuy
04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Helping others is an inherent part of our jobs...whether we get paid or not....

I gladly help on the phone...my clients or prospective clients....I don't help so that they will use me later either..I just like to help.

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I like helping to, but I'm not in this not to make money, I do hope that by helping it comes back in some way that makes me money in order to keep helping and do what I do. But if you want to give free advice on the phone all the time give me your number and I'll pass it on to these people.

Ed G
04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
damn right you should help out us diy homeowners. It will come back to you.

Just this weekend, guy across the street had an irrigation contractor put in a sprinkler system. I walked over and asked the contractor if he had ever heard of MP Rotators.

He hadn't, and I demonstrated my system to him.

He was most impressed and thought that the MP Rotators would now become a new way to help increase his income.

I even gave him all the MP Rotator sales literature I had accumulated.

He asked me if I was an irrigator or worked for Walla Walla, I told him: " a lot of pro irrigators helped me once, I am just trying to return the favor".

Ain't no way I would have done that for him if the pro's on this site hadn't helped me.

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree, but I've had a lot of "phone forums" that tried my patience, unless
I had a cold Lawn Genie tall neck in front of me.

Remote Pigtails
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Our business tends to be local. I don't see how it helps me or the guy out of state to give free advice to someone in another area. I certainly don't see how it helps Dallas service people to have a DIY getting advice from someone out of state. Our knowledge was gained by a lot of hard work. That has value. If you want to give it away hire a kid and train him. Let the DIY person do a thread search.Whatever:dizzy: -I'll just ignore these DIY posts.

Duramaxsle1
04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I think a rainbird controller is the same here as it is anywhere!

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
YES, they're made in a third world country with crap parts.

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Just a question not trying to start an argument. Should we really be helping a homeowner and robbing a local irrigator some easy service money? With all the hard work getting an easy service check is reallllly nice.

The DIY'er who does his homework and asks questions that resemble intelligence, will get great response here, and I think that is a good thing. Why would you get this alarmed about a homeowner, but we cater to the idiots who come in here with the "I'm thinking about getting into irrigation, how hard can it be? What do I need to start? Can I do repair work with a cheap pair of pliers and a screwdriver?"

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 12:12 AM
I agree, education is why us lowlifes are sitting around our terminals
anyway....if no one asked questions, we'd have to get a life.

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 12:18 AM
"I'm thinking about nbgetting into irrigation, how hard can it be? What do I need to start? Can I do repair work with a cheap pair of pliers and a screwdriver?"[/QUOTE]

You forgot the broken down pick up & shovel

Remote Pigtails
04-05-2007, 12:20 AM
The DIY'er who does his homework and asks questions that resemble intelligence, will get great response here, and I think that is a good thing. Why would you get this alarmed about a homeowner, but we cater to the idiots who come in here with the "I'm thinking about getting into irrigation, how hard can it be? What do I need to start? Can I do repair work with a cheap pair of pliers and a screwdriver?"

You've made a good point. I'm here for professional association and trading knowledge. I know I'll find that here and I'll just ignore the other stuff.The danger in any open forum of like minded people is that they eventually get overwhelmed by those looking for free advice. I'm not sure how to deal with that but check the post counts.

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Post counts are a good breakfast cereal.....eat it daily.

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
You've made a good point. I'm here for professional association and trading knowledge. I know I'll find that here and I'll just ignore the other stuff.The danger in any open forum of like minded people is that they eventually get overwhelmed by those looking for free advice. I'm not sure how to deal with that but check the post counts.

I try to read all the posts. I reply and interact where I want to. Stupid questions (imho) either get ignored or a dose of sarcasm (and occasionally flamed). We did how many replies about stagnant pressure? roflmao!!!:hammerhead: :weightlifter: :usflag:

Remote Pigtails
04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
One thought I had last night while doing a four star sudoku (didn't get far) was to require all DIY freebie hunters and people wanting to become irrigators with HD parts is to require some knowledge exchange, or a funny joke, or even a pic of a hot girlfriend or wife. Just something to make it feel like an exchange.

Ed G
04-05-2007, 08:59 AM
an exchange? That's already happening!

Hell think about it, we diy'ers give you guys something different to yak about and to help increase the board traffic...which the advertisers love to see.

Without us, can you imagine how many photos of manifolds you'd be starin' at :)

Duramaxsle1
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
You might want to think about the fact that we all become DIY at sometime or another and I am sure that not all you guys are experts in every area like you are in irrigation. So the next time you ask for information on something you want to learn about or try to DIY think how stupid your questions might be!
As far as I can remember this is not contractors only site that we had to pay to get in!

Wet_Boots
04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
We like manifold pictureshttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1296/threevalvemanifold59xy.jpg

Remote Pigtails
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
We like manifold pictureshttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1296/threevalvemanifold59xy.jpg

That is soo cool. Wish I could hang around but work is calling.

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
One thought I had last night while doing a four star sudoku (didn't get far) was to require all DIY freebie hunters and people wanting to become irrigators with HD parts is to require some knowledge exchange, or a funny joke, or even a pic of a hot girlfriend or wife. Just something to make it feel like an exchange.

When Ed came on last year asking his DIY questions he'd already done his homework... very intensively. I wouldn't even classify him as a total DIYer because he knew what he wanted to accomplish, what he had in the ground and how much GPM/PSI he had to work with. He even supplied a scaled plot plan which made things extremely easy to understand as they related to his property. Most here provided good technical answers to his questions and I went as far as designing his system on RainCAD. He put it it himself based on quality advice and at last count all is fine. In turn, I was able to bounce a few CAD questions off of him since his field is Auto CAD and he has other hidden traits. There was give and take and it was a refreshing exercise. BUT... This does not mean that we didn't kid with him and subject him to small doses of sarcasm either. Ed earned his secret decoder ring and based on what he understands and then learned in the process of installing his own system he could work in the same trench with me any day. :)

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
When Ed came on last year asking his DIY questions he'd already done his homework............................................................. Ed earned his secret decoder ring and based on what he understands and then learned in the process of installing his own system he could work in the same trench with me any day. :)

Any excuse to get that bobcat out? Going to be a trench I don't want to dig by hand if your both going to fit into it!!:drinkup:

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Jeez, I'm having some trouble with my rocket ship, can Ed help?
Free Lawn Genie beer if I can get back to Pluto.

Wet_Boots
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry, but Pluto has been demoted. Please select a genuine planet.

Remote Pigtails
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Sorry, but Pluto has been demoted. Please select a genuine planet.

Is Uranus still a planet? :confused:

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Is Uranus still a planet? :confused:

Yes & my wife told me the moon is in feces. I mean pices.

Ed G
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I can't help with your rocket ship, but if your having problems with your 38kV 2000A Outdoor Circuit Breaker, I'm your man!

Thanks for the "aw shucks" post Purp. I didn't realize It was time to send you the next check. :)

"In exchange" here's a joke that fits the theme this thread has taken...

How is the star ship enterprise like toilet paper?

They both circle uranus and pick up cling-ons.

Remote Pigtails
04-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Very good Ed. I feel the exchange is complete.:clapping: :laugh: :drinkup:

Wet_Boots
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Star Ship Enterprise? This gives a whole new meaning to "Captain's Log"

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Since we have morphed this thread way out of proportion anyway...........................
I have a question Ed might be able to answer. I have a submersible 2hp pump that on start up ran fine (major leak and I let it run for 3 hours at less than 30psi). The start up was at a very low load (no pressure water pressure, so no load on the motor). Once I increased the motor load (fixed leak and kicked in larger pump running in series), the 10A three-phase breaker blew. Re-set and blew immediately. I replaced the breaker and now the motor start is tripped and will not re-set. I plan to tackle this in the near future (god willing, maybe at the end of next week). Would you start by blaming the "brain" or starter? or do you think my motor is shot or hung on a "flat" space?

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Star Ship Enterprise? This gives a whole new meaning to "Captain's Log"

As in "pinch one off?" :p

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:28 PM
BIC... Thought you guys in Kansazz just blamed everything on tornados? :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
BIC... Thought you guys in Kansazz just blamed everything on tornados? :laugh:

torando doesn't even compare to the way the wind blows here

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:51 PM
torando doesn't even compare to the way the wind blows here

Is that Spanish for "flatulent wind"??? :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Is that Spanish for "flatulent wind"??? :laugh:

I thought "tornado" was Lawnsite Irrigation Speak for foul, non-stagnant, warm breeze with methane content:hammerhead:

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:55 PM
OK Bryan... You've made two career moves in the past couple of years and I sympathize with you. Next we'll be hearing that all hell has broken lose and the system isn't watering sufficiently due to your wind problems. How you gonna combat that with your existing system (if you get the pump fixed)??? :)

As a golfer I'm accepting no excuses and taking no prisoners. I just want my ball to go in the hole. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
OK Bryan... You've made two career moves in the past couple of years and I sympathize with you. Next we'll be hearing that all hell has broken lose and the system isn't watering sufficiently due to your wind problems. How you gonna combat that with your existing system (if you get the pump fixed)??? :)

As a golfer I'm accepting no excuses and taking no prisoners. I just want my ball to go in the hole. :laugh:

I have one out of three pumps functional and I am very sure I can survive even if all I do is maintain that. As to your ability to hit the hole? I'm not killing bunnies for their fur to help, so your on your own for skill factors. BTW, with me setting pins, handicaps go up. Piss me off and handicaps go WAY uppp:weightlifter: :cool2:

bicmudpuppy
04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Talking about post counts made me look at my (comapard to some) very pathetic 1700+ posts and I noticed on my profile I only listed 24 years in the ditches. Does stomping quick couplers as a kid and running night water count? Maybe I should add 10 more years to that.

PurpHaze
04-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Remind me to never venture to your course then. My handicap sucks already. :laugh:

Ed G
04-06-2007, 06:00 AM
bicmudpuppy - my money is on the capacitor needing replaced. You can pick one up real cheap at places like MSC or Grainger.