PDA

View Full Version : JMHO on lowballer discussions

kpyoung
04-03-2007, 05:17 PM
It happens every spring...lowballers this and lowballers that; it used to be "scrub" issues, but LawnSite put a stop to that talk. I see threads on here about how you were underbid and didn't get the job because someone bid $18 on a $25 lawn. Who determined that it was a $25 lawn? It may be a $25 lawn to you because you have to make that to pay for equipment, medical insurance, retirement and liability insurance. Maybe the person bidding $18 doesn't have those premiums and payments to pay. Maybe his equipment is paid for and he gets insurance and retirement through another job. I agree that he should have some liability insurance, but even that is not necessary. So just because someone came in under your bid doesn't mean you were wronged, it just means that someone thinks they can do the job for less money than you can. Some business and home owners don't care about how you can stripe a lawn or that you use an $8000 mower or that you even have insurance. Our trade is no different than any other trade..I shop around for any service I require and most smart people will do it also. You can't expect to get every job you bid, if you get them all...you're probably a "LOWBALLER".

jsf343
04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
I think you are missing the whole point of the "lowballer" discussion. Someday when it starts hurting you and taking business away from you, then maybe you will understand. I would go into it more but I have a proposal to prepare and this topic does nothing but make me irritated anyway.

zim bob the landscaper
04-03-2007, 05:41 PM
well we used to be lowballers when we were doin 2 lawns now we are doing alot more and have a business. so now we have to buy all this other stuff. it just sucks that we cant land many accounts. well we just landed a 1200 job so right now things are going good.

BQLC
04-03-2007, 05:41 PM
lOWBALLER'S HURT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY !!!!!

IN2MOWN
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Kpyoung, get used to it. Lowballers have been a topic here for years. People piss and moan about it till the cows come home when they could be out hustling up some business. They think they have some sort of huge solution for it by trying to unionize the industry when all they have to do is worry about themselves.

A little hint also. Most people who are whining about it probably arent making that much money or who have a smaller customer list and they are getting frustrated about THEIR lack of business.

Flex-Deck
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
lOWBALLER'S HURT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY !!!!!

This country was founded on free enterprise, and if you can't figure out a way to get efficient enough to survive, get into something else.

ncls
04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
This country was founded on free enterprise, and if you can't figure out a way to get efficient enough to survive, get into something else.

bingo....:clapping:

larryslawn
04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
All of us were lowballers at one point or another. You can look at it this way lowballers get people use to haveing someone else cut their grass. In this part of the country if you charge to much the homeowner just goes to homedepot and buys ther own ztr.

Green Grass and More
04-03-2007, 11:58 PM

my point exactly, everyone has the right in this country to make a dollar and if the "lowballers" don't need as many dollars to survive then good for them.

Josh

Mr Priceless
04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
All of us were lowballers at one point or another. You can look at it this way lowballers get people use to haveing someone else cut their grass. In this part of the country if you charge to much the homeowner just goes to homedepot and buys ther own ztr.

...which inevitably helps us lcos as we all know those things break very soon after some point:cool2: :drinkup: