PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Hydro W/B Engine Trouble

appalachianarbo
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a Snapper Hydro W/B with a Kawa FC420V 14HP engine on it. When I have the blades engaged and I start moving, the engine wants to die until I stop moving. Sometimes it happens when the baldes aren't engaged. I've changed the air & fuel filter, emptied any water from the carb and changed fuel. There is a screw above the carb that changes engine idle speed. I've messed with this screw and it seems to help sometimes. Is this the problem? Any advice on adjustment of this screw? Thanks

Restrorob
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like possibly a operator presence switch acting up. Remove the black kill lead wire between the engine and unit wire harness then try again.
If it runs fine test all safety switches with a multimeter.

appalachianarbo
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks restrorob, but it still happens when I remove the kill wire. The engine also seems to be "surging" as I've heard others here describe it.

I've searched for it, but are there any good Kawasaki carb adjustment guides that anyone knows of? I see two screws above the carb- one changes the engine speed, and the other has a black plastic cover which only lets you turn the screw halfway. I don't notice anything different when I turn this screw. The only other adjustable screw I see is on the carb bowl, and gas leaks out when I loosen it. Thanks

Restrorob
04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, A dirty carb. was my next opinion. It's easier to disconnect a wire to make sure.

The adjuster with the cap is for low speed running, The high speed is fixed (non-adjustable). Since you speak of surging I believe you need to do a complete carb tear-down and clean. Use carb. & Choke spray cleaner with the straw and shoot through ALL ports and passages then blow out with air if you have a compressor. Check fuel tank for any water or trash, Flush fuel lines and replace the filter.

On the low speed adjuster just pop the black cap off, Adjust inward counting the turns until LIGHTLY seated then remove for cleaning that port.
To re-install, Screw in all the way LIGHTLY and back it out the number of turns you counted.

When all back together and running, Set throttle to idle position and adjust the low speed unit it idles the smoothest.

appalachianarbo
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, I disassembled the carb and cleaned it this morning. It ran perfectly right after I did it - no surging, no stalling while moving. I ran it again this afternoon, and it's back to stalling when I start to move. The surging has stopped, however, so cleaning the carb helped one problem. Anything I'm missing? Could this be a hydraulic issue? It doesn't seem to happen when moving in reverse, and happens with both the blade engaged and disengaged wen I start to move forward.

Restrorob
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Mow in reverse....J/K

Did you check the tank for trash and flush the lines ? I have a customer's unit in now I did the same thing to (Carb. and fuel tank clean), He took it home and filled it up with trash and water from his gas can so now the job gets done again.

I really don't believe it would be a hydro problem unless it was a safety switch acting up which you already tested by removing the kill lead.