PDA

View Full Version : Shrub for shady area needed.

RedMax Man
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I got this client who has a corner of their property where they planted two dogwoods but they aren't thriving to well because it is quite shady with the tall trees surrounding them. So i'm going to transplant them to a sunnier spot and need something to replace.

They want a decent sized shrub that has year round foliage and can grow large to fill in this ugly corner of the yard thats bare.

So far the best replacement i've found is a Rhododendron.

Any other recommendations would be great. thanks

I'm ripping out the 3 dead Abbreviates. they're only a year old but most likely died because it is shady on both edges.

Pics of the area:
It would be planted in front of the large rock.

AGLA
04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Pretty much any broadleafed evergreen (rhododendron, holly, mountain laurel, japanese andromeda, ...) will work. If they want something similar to the arborvitae, western red cedar (cedar plicata) will be a good choice.

Shade did not kill those arbs. Shade will make them wither over time, those puppies are dead. They look like they were buried too deep, or they probably desicated from lack of moisture over the winter. That could be from root ball damage, lack of late season watering, or not being well watered in at planting (watering in has more to do with soil contact and removing voids than initially getting water to the plant). It looks like they were buried too deep.

RedMax Man
04-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Pretty much any broadleafed evergreen (rhododendron, holly, mountain laurel, japanese andromeda, ...) will work. If they want something similar to the arborvitae, western red cedar (cedar plicata) will be a good choice.

Shade did not kill those arbs. Shade will make them wither over time, those puppies are dead. They look like they were buried too deep, or they probably desicated from lack of moisture over the winter. That could be from root ball damage, lack of late season watering, or not being well watered in at planting (watering in has more to do with soil contact and removing voids than initially getting water to the plant). It looks like they were buried too deep.

Thanks,

Ya, though that sun may have been an issue but wasn't sure and didn't really look into it closely. Homeowner planted them so they probabll weren't done properly. thanks again

Focal Point Landscapes
04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Dogwoods should have been ok for that area - agla is right on the arbivitorae as well - in addition to improper planting ,there could be a common environmental problem that caused both to do poorly. Might also consider azaleas for the area in front of the rock - maybe hydrangea.

PerfectEarth
04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
That is about the worst landscaping I have ever seen. Good luck- a few azaleas or whatever you choose will likely not make anything look better.

RedMax Man
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
That is about the worst landscaping I have ever seen. Good luck- a few azaleas or whatever you choose will likely not make anything look better.

They just want something to block that corner so they have some privacy there. I agree i wouldn't have done what they did so far but what ever.

VO Landscape Design
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Holly, Whitchhazel will give you flowers in the fall/winter.
VO

RedMax Man
04-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Holly, Whitchhazel will give you flowers in the fall/winter.
VO

Thanks, I'll look into those.