PDA

View Full Version : I.A. pow-wow in San Diego...who goes?

Mike Leary
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
We motor home folk try to go when it's in Phoenix or San Diego.

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
no one on this site goes to the Irrigation Association trade & tech shows?

Dirty Water
04-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Room in the trunk? I'll go.

Wet_Boots
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Are they holding the trade show at Hooters? Otherwise, I'll pass.

Ground Master
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I may actually go this year.

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
It's a candy store for us ******s.....plus, you get to vent your rage as close to
the idiot that designed the......(insert product ) piece of junk as you'll ever
get to! Suggestion...I've been to about five: you know it's time to have a
drink when all the exhibitors start to look like pimps at a whorehouse.
You'll befuddle your suppliers too, they've not heard that it exists!

bumper
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
We usually do the CLCA show instead, RB, Toro, Hunter, Wala Wala blah blah.all on location. Valvette sure is pushing their creation(s), 15' spray nozzle on a shrub adaptor cranked all the way down with a key reducing the flow where it can be used as a drip emitter

Dirty Water
04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
We usually do the CLCA show instead, RB, Toro, Hunter, Wala Wala blah blah.all on location. Valvette sure is pushing their creation(s), 15' spray nozzle on a shrub adaptor cranked all the way down with a key reducing the flow where it can be used as a drip emitter

I've always thought the Little Valve was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen.

Why put a microspray adapter on a sprayhead, when we can just crank down the water on a nozzle.

Its like solving a non-existent problem.

bumper
04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I picked up one their cross tools for 6 bucks...been a couple months and still have not used it. The free sample shrub and pop up are collecting dust.

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Why put a microspray adapter on a sprayhead, when we can just crank down the water on a nozzle.

Its like solving a non-existent problem.[/QUOTE]

The problem about leaning on a adjustment screw is it f..ks the application &
pattern. That's why we use W.M. brass non-adjustable nozzles. Your turn to
buy, Jon.

Dirty Water
04-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Its like solving a non-existent problem.

The problem about leaning on a adjustment screw is it f..ks the application &
pattern. That's why we use W.M. brass non-adjustable nozzles. Your turn to
buy, Jon.[/QUOTE]

You miss understood me. Which is fine, because I realize the post was poorly written.

The little valve adds a tiny valve into the riser of the sprinkler, which essentially does the same thing as cranking down the nozzle.

Not that I'd advocate that over a microspray nozzle, but just illustrating the silly redundancy of the thing.

http://www.valvettesystems.com/CP_050.jpg

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I went the wrong way..but my quote stands about nozzles

Mike Leary
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Go brass....stay brass

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 09:18 AM

You had me wondering there for a second because of the Hunter micro-spray nozzles we just installed. I was a little confused. :)

The longterm thing I will be looking at is how well the filter in them holds up. You don't use the standard spray filter screen because that's where the spring loaded secondary pop-up riser retracts into. At the bottom of the micro-spray pop-up riser is an imbedded screen. I'll be interested in seeing how this holds up. However, the water source in my case is pretty clean well water. Time will tell whether I should go back in just downstream of the valve and install a wye filter.

The other thing I was looking at was overall GPM for 30 spray bodies with the micro-spray nozzles. The overall "main lateral" going to each planter section was only 3/4" CL 200 pipe. If I'd used standard spray nozzles cranked down it's doubtful that I could have installed that many even though cranking down the screw would undoubtedly also reduce their GPM. How would one precisely balance out the nozzles across three separate planter zones? I was able to use the specified GPM on the micro-sprays and balance out the sections so they all worked and didn't exceed the 3/4" pipe maximum GPM.

gusbuster
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Go brass....stay brass

Landscaper contractor national magizine had a nice little article about brass nozzles. It was briefly discussed about the combo of platic body such as the 1800 and brass nozzle.

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Landscaper contractor national magizine had a nice little article about brass nozzles. It was briefly discussed about the combo of platic body such as the 1800 and brass nozzle.

Best combo....1800 series & W.M. brass...try it, you'll never go back (except those crummy VANs
were forced to use.)

Wet_Boots
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I forget, does W*M still offer 'custom' nozzle arcs?

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I forget, does W*M still offer 'custom' nozzle arcs?

Not that I know, the bean counters got ahold of W.M. a few years ago &
things are not as cool. We do order blanks for installs.

Wet_Boots
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Some years back, at a show, I saw a W*M brass popup body, and the all-brass construction had been supplemented by a small O-ring at the base of the stem. When I asked them what was going on with that, being that all-brass was a touted feature at one time, the rep admitted that the tooling had worn, so they decided to use an O-ring to cover it up. Bean counters.

Mike Leary
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
SOME YEARS AGO????? Bye bye Imperial, maybe same for W.M., has Toro
bought any one lately?

Dirty Water
04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
O-rings are cheaper than new molds by a few pennies :)

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:22 PM
What's the cost difference between brass nozzles and good quality plastic ones though? :)

bicmudpuppy
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
What's the cost difference between brass nozzles and good quality plastic ones though? :)

where did you find plastic of a quality that compared to brass?

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM
where did you find plastic of a quality that compared to brass?

If the nozzle puts out the desired arc, radius and GPM to work sufficiently as a unit combined with the other sprinklers in the zone then I say it has at least decent quality. :laugh:

I'm just wondering what the yearly cost difference would be considering we change out a couple thousand each year for a WIDE variety of reasons... and usually not due to nozzle quality. One of our biggest reasons for changing nozzles is due to theft. I'm sure the brass nozzles would become even a bigger theft target. :)