PDA

View Full Version : you have too many customers

1MajorTom
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Get this, one our customers called to say we have too many customers. He is cut every Thursday, 4 other customers on the same street as him.
Well Mr. Impatient wants his grass cut for Easter, and with the forecast, I guess he thinks the weather might be bad for the later part of the week. So he wanted it cut today. Matt told him, "I was cutting Tuesdays customers today, you aren't till Thursday." He says, "well I guess it must be nice to have too many customers." Matt says, "what do you mean?" He says, "seems if you can't get here today, you have too many customers."
People are just so unreasonable. Matt should drive all the way out there, to do his lawn, then turn back around again, to get back to today's work. Every day is a planned route in different areas. The longer we are in business, the more people get on our nerves :hammerhead: .... and that's not a good thing.

Lynden-Jeff
04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I would have explain to him how scheduling works. Any more of the "I'm the only customer in the world" attitude and it would be a thank you have a nice day and they would be dropped. I can't stand the do it now attiude and it usually means they are a problematic customer with nothing better to do then ruin the lawn guys day.

Cheers
Jeff

scchamblee
04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I have woman that thinks her yard is should be my first priority and she is my lowest paying customer and does not want any extra services like mulch cleanups... anything!!!!! She is bout to get dropped!!!!!

Woody82986
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I had that happen yesterday. A new client who evidently thought i waited around all week with my equipment just to mow her lawn, wanted me to drop what I was doing to come mow because she had a feeling it was going to rain on Thursday and she couldn't handle not having her lawn done before Easter. I told her I would get to her eventually if she wanted to pony up an extra $20 for gas. She said Thursday would JUST have to do, and that for my sake I had better hope it doesn't rain... haha

DiyDave
04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Send him a letter saying, you are absolutely right, I have too many customers, I hereby terminate You, so I have more time for my other customers. That'll change his expression, I bet.

fiveoboy01
04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I'd explain your routing system to him and try to make him understand.

Another possible solution? Agree to cut it on the off day, but for extra $.

I mean I could understand if an LCO's routes weren't packed tight, mine aren't exactly, I have a little flexibility during the week, and I'd do it IF and ONLY if the person has been a good, paying-on-time, polite customer up to this point. Otherwise, "I'm sorry, but my schedule will not allow me to service your property until Thursday, as stated in the agreement which you signed."

IN2MOWN
04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I dont see what the big deal is. Tack on a few bucks for an "inconvienence" charge and be done with it.

jeffscap
04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I just think Mr. Thursday needs an attitude adjustment! :laugh:

txgrassguy
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I dont see what the big deal is. Tack on a few bucks for an "inconvienence" charge and be done with it.

I couldn't disagree more. Route scheduling should be done to amortize all the overhead necessary to make that day's route profitable. To interrupt for one customer, unless they pay the difference in lost revenue for the sites you can't get too means it just isn't worth it.
I run three mowing crews Monday through Thursday wherein on Friday one crew morphs into last minute clean up jobs the mowing crews noted during the week.
To yank one crew out of the schedule to meet the needs of one residential customer really wanks the production schedule out of the window.
That said I have done this before but the customer paid dearly for it, over five times the previously agreed upon rate = over $400.00 for that one visit.
My response to these last minute emergencies is the age old adage that your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.
I know my company is in the service industry, a fact my employees and I excel at delivering but unrealistic customer requests = problems and if it continues they are looking for a new service provider.

mow & snow
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
It sounds like your customer is also a weatherman. Tell him you will be there on Thursday!

dwlah
04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't feel like the lone ranger I just got off the phone with one that wanted me to tell her what time I'm going to be at her house:hammerhead:
Told her likely before noon(she is usually the first stop anyway):laugh:

DLCS
04-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Some customers think that we just sit by the phone waiting for them to call. We deal with the same thing wether it be for mowing or plowing snow. Some people you just can't please. He will find the same thing with any reputable company. We all have to go by a schedule thats just how it works. LOL

IN2MOWN
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Route scheduling should be done to amortize all the overhead necessary to make that day's route profitable. To interrupt for one customer, unless they pay the difference in lost revenue for the sites you can't get too means it just isn't worth it.
I run three mowing crews Monday through Thursday wherein on Friday one crew morphs into last minute clean up jobs the mowing crews noted during the week.
To yank one crew out of the schedule to meet the needs of one residential customer really wanks the production schedule out of the window.
That said I have done this before but the customer paid dearly for it, over five times the previously agreed upon rate = over $400.00 for that one visit.
My response to these last minute emergencies is the age old adage that your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.
I know my company is in the service industry, a fact my employees and I excel at delivering but unrealistic customer requests = problems and if it continues they are looking for a new service provider.

This has nothing to do with route sceduling. It has to do with taking an extra few minutes out of your day at the end of a day and accomadating a customer before a holiday.

BFD.

MSS Mow
04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
This has nothing to do with route sceduling. It has to do with taking an extra few minutes out of your day at the end of a day and accomadating a customer before a holiday.

BFD.

Easier said than done. If the particular client is quite a distance out of the way AND/OR has a large job, than it may not be as simple as just taking a few extra minutes. It could mean an extra hour, or two, or more. Why should the LCO have to pay a crew overtime to do a job that should be done during regular scheduled hours?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try and accomodate our customers, I think we should. BUT, it has to be within a reasonable expectation as well and this particular customer appears to be making an unreasonable request.

Perhaps Jodi could tell us how much extra time this "out of the route" customer would take to complete? Give us a little more detail to help us form an opinion more than that the customer is wrong, which by the way, they usually are.

IN2MOWN
04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Easier said than done. If the particular client is quite a distance out of the way AND/OR has a large job, than it may not be as simple as just taking a few extra minutes. It could mean an extra hour, or two, or more. Why should the LCO have to pay a crew overtime to do a job that should be done during regular scheduled hours?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try and accomodate our customers, I think we should. BUT, it has to be within a reasonable expectation as well and this particular customer appears to be making an unreasonable request.

Perhaps Jodi could tell us how much extra time this "out of the route" customer would take to complete? Give us a little more detail to help us form an opinion more than that the customer is wrong, which by the way, they usually are.

I agree. And a reasonable customer should expect reasonable service. If the house was 3 acres and 45 minutes away I would tell them no but if its within reason I would be over there.

Vikings
04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
I have people tell me that about snow and they always seem to tell me that on a day where I know I'm working 14 hours with help to get everyone done. I can get right nasty at times but I try not to.

procut
04-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I just love the people who think the world should stop because of their $25.00 lawn cut. :dizzy:

1MajorTom
04-04-2007, 12:30 AM

On a good day, it will take 13 to 14 minutes to get there. How do I know this? Because Matt times everything to the minute, there is not a minute of his day that is not accounted for. He actually uses time cards to log in his times. One way to make any money in this business is to have tight routes, plain and simple. And over the years we have been able to do this. For Matt to do that lawn, drive there, unload, load back up, drive back, he just would not do it. Then there could be the chance of running the risk that the other 4 customers on that street may see him, and raise their hand like Arnold Horshack, and say, "ooh oohh, will you cut my lawn too?" Then there goes Tuesdays route.

1MajorTom
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM

BFD.

minutes? on an 11 hour work day, there aren't any more minutes to go around. Tuesday customers come first.

scchamblee
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I just love the people who think the world should stop because of their $25.00 lawn cut. :dizzy:

Dont give out a number that low on her or you will be banished for being a LOWBALLER!!!!!:nono:

txgrassguy
04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
I agree. And a reasonable customer should expect reasonable service. If the house was 3 acres and 45 minutes away I would tell them no but if its within reason I would be over there.

Most of my residential properties are 1 - 2.5 acres in size and are comprised of different species of C4 turfgrass which necessitate different mowing guidelines. Couple that with an area of operations that is literally 40 miles east to west and 30 miles north to south and accurate route scheduling is very important.
For my commercial customers, I have one that is over 65 miles away - one way.
I see where I was thinking one thing and in all likely hood it may turn out to be something else.

1MajorTom
04-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Dont give out a number that low on her or you will be banished for being a LOWBALLER!!!!!:nono:

Nothing wrong with $25 lawns when you have them lined up a few of them on the street. We'll take those all day long, just as long as they are near another customer. $25 lawns are simple, small and easy, quick money. This particular customer happened to be a $35 lawn.

JimLewis
04-04-2007, 02:03 AM
.... Matt told him, "I was cutting Tuesdays customers today, you aren't till Thursday."

Whoa wai wai wait. You telling me today is only Tuesday? Son of uhhh ..... It feels like it's Friday already. I've already put in over 30 hours this week. I honestly thought it was at least Wednesday already. I had to look at my calender. This is very discouraging....... :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

lawnguyland
04-04-2007, 07:41 AM

Fooooooooool.

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Fooooooooool.

Typical east coast banter. Instead of replying with a well thought out response in accordance with the thread you call names.

Sorry folks but I dont see what the big deal is. Its called helping out a customer and if you know its going to rain anyway or there is a chance of rain and its coming up on a holiday why not get them done early anyway?

Talk about blowing it out of proportion.

And 11 hour days? Pffftttt. Theres plenty of daylight after being out for only 11 hours.

Coumbe
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
To do him early you have to others late.

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 09:22 AM
To do him early you have to others late.

Or you finish up your list, get to work on the next one and just work later...

Precision
04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Or you finish up your list, get to work on the next one and just work later...

your run your business the way your customers want you to run it.

We will run our businesses the way we need to run it to be profitable.

And I for one do not run a beck and call service. If you are a thursday client, you have the premium of being cut 3 days before Easter Sunday. My Tuesday clients have to deal with 5 days of growth before Easter Sunday. Mr. "I think its gonna rain on Thursday" can deal with the risk of becoming a Friday cut this week. Or he could be skipped entirely. My tuesday route starts 30 miles south of the shop and finishes 10 miles south of the shop. My thursday route starts 1 mile north and works around it.

I can just see myself running back 15 miles each way to please Mr. Impatient. Yeah, right after I start using solid gold mowing blades.

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
your run your business the way your customers want you to run it.

We will run our businesses the way we need to run it to be profitable.

And I for one do not run a beck and call service. If you are a thursday client, you have the premium of being cut 3 days before Easter Sunday. My Tuesday clients have to deal with 5 days of growth before Easter Sunday. Mr. "I think its gonna rain on Thursday" can deal with the risk of becoming a Friday cut this week. Or he could be skipped entirely. My tuesday route starts 30 miles south of the shop and finishes 10 miles south of the shop. My thursday route starts 1 mile north and works around it.

I can just see myself running back 15 miles each way to please Mr. Impatient. Yeah, right after I start using solid gold mowing blades.

Youre right. I hate making a profit. What was I thinking about getting some work done early, making extra money by tacking a fee on and then having a shorter list on Friday. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should think about tightening your route up and then you wouldnt be blowing so much money on gas.

Not my fault you drive all over your city.

What some of you are failing miserably to see is that without these customers most of you would be standing behind a counter asking people if they want frys with their meal. Doing something extra and being nice to a customer who pays you to do a job isnt that big of a deal.

Keep your customers happy. Thats not asking alot.

Precision
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Youre right. I hate making a profit. What was I thinking about getting some work done early, making extra money by tacking a fee on and then having a shorter list on Friday. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should think about tightening your route up and then you wouldnt be blowing so much money on gas.

Not my fault you drive all over your city.

What some of you are failing miserably to see is that without these customers most of you would be standing behind a counter asking people if they want frys with their meal. Doing something extra and being nice to a customer who pays you to do a job isnt that big of a deal.

Keep your customers happy. Thats not asking alot.

What you fail to see is that by keeping the annoying 20% happy, you are no longer running your company or making a profit.

A reasonable request is often granted. A demand is never accepted in my business. When a customer tells me when or how to do my business, that is often the initial signs of them going away (by my choice).

Would that customer get in their car and bring you a gallon of gas if you ran out on the side of the road.

NO

so why should you make the same effort for them. same drive same time wasted.

rodfather
04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=1MajorTom;1778468]Get this, one our customers called to say we have too many customers. He is cut every Thursday, 4 other customers on the same street as him.QUOTE]

I would have replied, "You're probably right and I'm about to have one less".

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
What you fail to see is that by keeping the annoying 20% happy, you are no longer running your company or making a profit.

A reasonable request is often granted. A demand is never accepted in my business. When a customer tells me when or how to do my business, that is often the initial signs of them going away (by my choice).

Would that customer get in their car and bring you a gallon of gas if you ran out on the side of the road.

NO

so why should you make the same effort for them. same drive same time wasted.

I guess we dont see eye to eye then. He asked for a one time cutting to be done a little early for Easter. IF he was annoying every week and constantly asking you to change things around for him I could see being upset and letting him go but the fact is he asked for it once.

I went through the same last week. I have a customer and his neighbor called me and asked me for a quote. I gave it to him and told him I was there on Tuesdays. He was reluctant but agreed. He wanted it closer to the wekend. I told him I could not accomodate him. It was Tuesday. Take it over leave it. I mowed it last week and went over today ( day late due to rain) and mowed again. His wife came out and told me the neighbor would start doing on Fridays and they didnt me anymore except for the landscaping job I also agreed to. She apologized but explained they entertain quite a bit and by the weekend it was to high. She tried to talk me into it again but I held fast.

Would I have made the trip for a one time cut on a Friday? Sure. Would the price of doubled? You bet.

Would I do it every week like that? Nope. Waste of gas.

I dont mind going out of my way every once in a while for a good customer.

Sorry to sound like such a dick but I get tired of hearing people complain about doing some extra work on occasion.

1MajorTom
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
John welcome back. You back from the dead too i see.

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
John welcome back. You back from the dead too i see.

Hello sweetie. Back and stubborn as ever. Im softening though. 2 new additions to the family will do that to a man. ;)

1MajorTom
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, you've been keeping your wife busy. Congrats on the kids. :)

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Wow, you've been keeping your wife busy. Congrats on the kids. :)

She's been keeping me busy!

Thanks. The youngest one just turned 2 last month. JohnIII will be 4 in April.

Might have another one on the way also...

Precision
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
She's been keeping me busy!

Thanks. The youngest one just turned 2 last month. JohnIII will be 4 in April.

Might have another one on the way also...

Now that is really scary.

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Now that is really scary.

Why? 3 would be a full crew.:laugh:

cantoo
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
in2mown, what about the other 4 on the same street?
We had a guy call late last year and wanted us to give him a one cut. He wasn't a customer of ours but was a neighbour of one. He seen us cut the day before and liked the looks of the lawn. He thought about it and decided to call us. Told him sorry too late the equipment is put away and a 40 mile round trip would be too expensive for him. The guy got pretty mad that we wouldn't go cut his lawn for the same price we did the neighbour for the day before. It's 40 miles in our 10 mile to the gallon cube van. Not gonna happen. He wasn't interested in becoming a regular customer just wanted the one cut.

WJW Lawn
04-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Get this, one our customers called to say we have too many customers. He is cut every Thursday, 4 other customers on the same street as him.
Well Mr. Impatient wants his grass cut for Easter, and with the forecast, I guess he thinks the weather might be bad for the later part of the week. So he wanted it cut today. Matt told him, "I was cutting Tuesdays customers today, you aren't till Thursday." He says, "well I guess it must be nice to have too many customers." Matt says, "what do you mean?" He says, "seems if you can't get here today, you have too many customers."
People are just so unreasonable. Matt should drive all the way out there, to do his lawn, then turn back around again, to get back to today's work. Every day is a planned route in different areas. The longer we are in business, the more people get on our nerves :hammerhead: .... and that's not a good thing.

You should tell him you'll drop all the other customers...and he can just pay what you typically make in a week. Tell him you'll cut his yard every day!

IN2MOWN
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
in2mown, what about the other 4 on the same street?
We had a guy call late last year and wanted us to give him a one cut. He wasn't a customer of ours but was a neighbour of one. He seen us cut the day before and liked the looks of the lawn. He thought about it and decided to call us. Told him sorry too late the equipment is put away and a 40 mile round trip would be too expensive for him. The guy got pretty mad that we wouldn't go cut his lawn for the same price we did the neighbour for the day before. It's 40 miles in our 10 mile to the gallon cube van. Not gonna happen. He wasn't interested in becoming a regular customer just wanted the one cut.

Thats a totally different situation. The man you're referring to isn't a current customer. He's not asking for a favor before a holiday. If he had any sense he would of approached you that day when he saw you instead of waiting till the next day and he didn't want to go full time.

Apples and oranges.

IN2MOWN
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Just a quick note on being nice and doing the extra thing.

I was blowing off a couple driveways today when some lady stopped me. She told me she was having a party at her house, up the street, and her lawn guy left grass all over the driveway and sidewalks. She told me she would pay me to blow them off.

I finished up and went to her house and blew it all off. Took all of 2 minutes. She pulls out a $20.00 and I told her to keep it. It was no big deal.

She told me she paid some kid $25.00 to do her yard and he left it like that.

After 5 minutes of talking and BS'ing she signed up for the year at $40.00 a cut.

Being nice to someone can really pay off. :clapping:

1MajorTom
04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
If she would have been 15 minutes away from where you were working,....... would you have driven there when you looked at your schedule and saw you still had another 12 lawns to go and it was already 3:00pm?

IN2MOWN
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
If she would have been 15 minutes away from where you were working,....... would you have driven there when you looked at your schedule and saw you still had another 12 lawns to go and it was already 3:00pm?

Yes.... :p

Frontier-Lawn
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I just think Mr. Thursday needs an attitude adjustment! :laugh:

true, bill him a extra $500yr for preferred service at a drop of a hat