PDA

View Full Version : "Senior members" ???

americanlawn
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
What makes a senior member?

I am not a "senior member". Most of are not. We're just asking for help.

Personally, I have experienced "negativity" on this forum from time to time.

Some of these negative and "unhelpful" comments were posted by "senior members".

I am a graduate horticulturist.

I started with the "original ChemLawn" in 1978.

I currently own my own business (since 1990) .

Current count of "chemical" customers = 3000. (we subcontract the mowing, etc)

My company is our State's largest "Independent" lawn care company (not a franchise).

Our lawn care program was developed by our land-grant University, and they continue to support our recommendations. Even on local television.

Perhaps because I was raised by Depression-Era parents on an Iowa farm explains my disdain for the snide comments I see on this site.

This disgusts me -- especially when they come from "senior members".

Examples: "You posted that before". "You should know better". "Did you expect anything less". etc. (all posted by "senior members")

I truly appreciate most of the comments/help form the majority of senior memebers, but "some" I question...

RSCVP.

DBL
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
post count

Shades of Green LService
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Some people just Suck i guess.
-Jay

LindblomRJ
04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Something to think about... Post count is not a measure of intelligence.

However with that sort of credentials American lawn has he should be willing to share his knowledge - he would have a lot to offer. The thing about a forum is difference of opinions due to things such as geography or regional preferences. The other thing is personalities of each person here. Think about the people you deal with on a day to day basis in face to face transactions.

ccash
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=LindblomRJ;1778656]Something to think about... Post count is not a measure of intelligence.

thats right it just means they sit at their computer and type way too long.

Victor
04-03-2007, 11:52 PM
What makes a senior member?

I am not a "senior member". Most of are not. We're just asking for help.

Personally, I have experienced "negativity" on this forum from time to time.

Some of these negative and "unhelpful" comments were posted by "senior members".

I am a graduate horticulturist.

I started with the "original ChemLawn" in 1978.

I currently own my own business (since 1990) .

Current count of "chemical" customers = 3000. (we subcontract the mowing, etc)

My company is our State's largest "Independent" lawn care company (not a franchise).

Our lawn care program was developed by our land-grant University, and they continue to support our recommendations. Even on local television.

Perhaps because I was raised by Depression-Era parents on an Iowa farm explains my disdain for the snide comments I see on this site.

This disgusts me -- especially when they come from "senior members".

Examples: "You posted that before". "You should know better". "Did you expect anything less". etc. (all posted by "senior members")

I truly appreciate most of the comments/help form the majority of senior memebers, but "some" I question...

RSCVP.

Wow! That's impressive. If you have that much knowledge and experience, I'd really appreciate it if you'd go to my thread titled "Please identify this" and tell me what that is in my photograph. Thanks. I sure could use your help.

lawnguyland
04-04-2007, 06:43 AM
wah wah wah wah

RAlmaroad
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Americanlawn: I'm not a "Senior Member"--just a Senior of 60 years. I've been at this longer than most have been alive. That said in defending the "Senior Members" here. So many of this questions that get those comment that you mention could be answered by just calling a local garden center. Many times people are just lazy to call them or visit them and talk with them about their immediate situation or problems. It easier to just type and expect a quick resolution. These guys are out every day making their client proud of their yard, making the applicators proud of their work. Work that involved lots of study, lots of gleaning from other pros, lots of research on chemicals and their interaction with other chemicals, soil, and invironment. Making many trips to the shows in the spring meeting with reps on the current state of the profession. Then at the end of the day, check in on the site and see someone asking about simple matters--it's disturbing. I have a good nature and always try to ask my stupid question to the other pros here via PM's. All of us have questions--but there's a way to handle them. I'd advise the one time question homeowner to explore the garden center. These guys are pros and deserve some respect.

tremor
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Message board etiquette died here a while ago. Mots of us "seniors" left when the homeowners & illegals started permeating this board rather than the correct one.

A bunch of us lobbied for a "Licensed Applicator" check but the request fell on deaf ears.

Moderators have their own opinion about moderating.

I think that the "senior" thing is calendar based?

DUSTYCEDAR
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
its just a title nothing more

GrazerZ
04-05-2007, 12:04 AM
I have to say that there are times when all of the same questions day after day do get a little old and tend to make me a bit grumpy. For example, would'nt you think it would be due diligence to a least look at the search feature before asking "how much to treat 3000 sq ft, I just can't remember right now what I should charge?". Those are the kind of questions that get me to make smart remarks. I try not to, but I can only take it so long. Also, wouldn't you get sick of unlicensed folks trying to scab information that you worked hard to learn just so they can hamstring someone like yourself. I do believe that we are all entitled to a dumb question from time to time, but come one, it gets ridiculous sometimes.

NattyLawn
04-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I have to say that there are times when all of the same questions day after day do get a little old and tend to make me a bit grumpy. For example, would'nt you think it would be due diligence to a least look at the search feature before asking "how much to treat 3000 sq ft, I just can't remember right now what I should charge?". Those are the kind of questions that get me to make smart remarks. I try not to, but I can only take it so long. Also, wouldn't you get sick of unlicensed folks trying to scab information that you worked hard to learn just so they can hamstring someone like yourself. I do believe that we are all entitled to a dumb question from time to time, but come one, it gets ridiculous sometimes.

I agree too. The square footage question is classic. How are we supposed to know their costs? I'm sure I'm one of people americanlawns is talking about, but he posted the same statement about the PG's not killing small broadleafs about 20 times, then wouldn't respond to any questions you asked him. The same statement would pop up in every PG thread out there, and the same questions would be given, and no answer from him. Until now.

It seems a lot of threads are recycled every few weeks.

Tscape
04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
I have no qualms about snapping at someone who doesn't even use the search feature. Or worse yet, asks the same question as another thread that is still on page one. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but this is a professional forum. If you can't handle that then what are the chances that you are really going to ever offer anything constructive to this community?

ccash
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
thats why there should be a licensed applicator badge on here.

GrazerZ
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I have no qualms about snapping at someone who doesn't even use the search feature. Or worse yet, asks the same question as another thread that is still on page one. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but this is a professional forum. If you can't handle that then what are the chances that you are really going to ever offer anything constructive to this community?

I 2nd that.