PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed Honda push mower today!!

Stinchcomb Lawn
04-04-2007, 02:12 AM
I was mowing a new account small fenced in area very tall grass and hit a piece of 2 in pipe 1/4 in thick. The shaft is bent in two places and the blade, well what is left of the blade is in several pieces. The deck is bent and broke a wheel. Very Bad Day!! Anyone esle had this problem LOL tell me about your expierence!!

David C.
04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Oak root!!!!! The blade and shaft will bend----but the Oak tree??? It ain't budgin'!!!!

corey1977
04-04-2007, 09:02 AM
time for a new mower or just a motor cheeper to buy a new mower I have found out I have hit metal pipe also in the past sobsssssssss

chipk1
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
One of the questions I always ask new customers. Are there any tree stubs, pipes, or anything else in the yard that I need to be aware of? The one that has gotten me a few times are water meter covers being sucked up into the blades!

lawnboy dan
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
i destroyed a comm toro the same way once. ouch!

unit28
04-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I learned the hard way.
Busted a new comm mower to pieces, where I shouldn't have taken it.

This could save someone the trouble I had.......

Buy a couple of cheap mowers for those types of over grown lawns,
or don't mow them.

Try to be thorough on your walk through before mowing.

robbo521
04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
seems like you should see things like that.

JimQ
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I read this post and had to reply

Honda produces great products, including their walk behind rotary mowers. That being said, I was surprised the read the original post.

All 21" Rotary push mowers sold in the US are required by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) to Comply with ANSI B71.1

Here is an excerpt from that standard that applies to the original post....

10.3.2 Impact test

10.3.2.1 Test procedure

Completely encircle the mower at the time of test by a wall of 350-lb double-wall cardboard resting on the floor. The wall shall be approximately 610 mm (24 in) from the blade tip circle with a minimum height of 610 mm (24 in) above the horizontal plane of the blade tip circle. Position the mower over an SAE 1117 free-cutting steel rod, 25 mm (1 in) in diameter, that has been placed into a test fixture as shown in Figure 3. The blades shall be adjusted to the cutting height closest to 50 mm (2 in) and shall be so positioned that when the rod is injected into the rotating blade, the blade will strike the exposed portion of the rod within 50 mm (2 in) of the tip of the blade. The rod shall be injected once into the path of the blade. The test shall be conducted once for each blade assembly of the mower. A new mower may be used for each test.

10.3.2.2 Test acceptance
Failure for this test shall be any of the following:
– Target penetration by any part of the mower;
– Breakage of the blade;
– Breakage of the blade vertical retention means to the blade driving shaft.

Breakage of the shearing device or chipping of the blade cutting edge are not considered test failures.

Hmmm.... Sounds like a failure to me.

DCE
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Was this mower one of the HRC commercial 21's or one of the residential duty units?

RedMax Man
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Always do a thorough walk through the whole property to check for all the unexpected objects on the first mow. Saves alot of down time.
The worst i've done with my 21" Honda his hit a rope with a bolt tied to it and a couple small rocks. nothing that bad, sorry about your accident.

DoetschOutdoor
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Sewer drain with a brand new 1 month old JD push mower. Hit it so hard it broke the motor mounts loose, destroyed the crank. Took it in to the dealer and got the whole motor and tranny replaced under warranty due to a "very bad vibration" that I had no idea where it came from

DCE
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Took it in to the dealer and got the whole motor and tranny replaced under warranty due to a "very bad vibration" that I had no idea where it came from

LOL! Glad to see your dealer took care of you on that :)

lawnspecialties
04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I was mowing a new account small fenced in area very tall grass and hit a piece of 2 in pipe 1/4 in thick. The shaft is bent in two places and the blade, well what is left of the blade is in several pieces. The deck is bent and broke a wheel. Very Bad Day!! Anyone esle had this problem LOL tell me about your expierence!!

Is it past the point of getting the shaft straightened? My old Deere JS63 met the same fate, but my local mower repair shop has a shaft straightener and it worked like new after that.:)

AAXteriors
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I read this post and had to reply

Honda produces great products, including their walk behind rotary mowers. That being said, I was surprised the read the original post.

All 21" Rotary push mowers sold in the US are required by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) to Comply with ANSI B71.1

Here is an excerpt from that standard that applies to the original post....

10.3.2 Impact test

10.3.2.1 Test procedure

Completely encircle the mower at the time of test by a wall of 350-lb double-wall cardboard resting on the floor. The wall shall be approximately 610 mm (24 in) from the blade tip circle with a minimum height of 610 mm (24 in) above the horizontal plane of the blade tip circle. Position the mower over an SAE 1117 free-cutting steel rod, 25 mm (1 in) in diameter, that has been placed into a test fixture as shown in Figure 3. The blades shall be adjusted to the cutting height closest to 50 mm (2 in) and shall be so positioned that when the rod is injected into the rotating blade, the blade will strike the exposed portion of the rod within 50 mm (2 in) of the tip of the blade. The rod shall be injected once into the path of the blade. The test shall be conducted once for each blade assembly of the mower. A new mower may be used for each test.

10.3.2.2 Test acceptance
Failure for this test shall be any of the following:
– Target penetration by any part of the mower;
– Breakage of the blade;
– Breakage of the blade vertical retention means to the blade driving shaft.

Breakage of the shearing device or chipping of the blade cutting edge are not considered test failures.

Hmmm.... Sounds like a failure to me.

Deos that mean he can have it replaced by honda?

mowmasteruk
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I did exactly the same with my old Honda 21 inch hydrostatic last year. The blade was bent at 90 degrees to the ground and the crankshaft got twisted. Luckily it was about eight years old and had been relegated to rough cutting. In money terms it was not worth alot. Even so I was gutted to think I had wrecked it - it was like an old friend.

Stinchcomb Lawn
04-06-2007, 08:30 AM
NO it was not a home owner mower. I walked the lot before we mowed it along with two other guys. The grass was about 6 to 8 inches tall. Since my post we have taken it apart and there is no way it can be fixed.

spazfam
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Had an employee last year hit a fence pipe in plain site after we pointed it out in the walk through. He didn't tell me. Then 2 weeks later another employee hits the same friggin pipe this time destroys the jd push shaft. Then they tell me about the first incident!