PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Tractor Not Getting Fuel....

CurbAppeal33
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I am a home owner with a 48" Husqvarna tractor. The engine type is a Briggs and Stratton 24 hp v twin ELS.

My problem is after about 15 minutes the engine is receiving minimal fuel.

I have put on a new fuel filter, changed the oil and oil filter, change the air filter, changed both spark plugs, plus took off the diapham to see if that was plugged.

I think my next step is to take off the gas tank and gas line to clean it out?

Also when running the mower for 15 minutes, the fuel filter is 3/4 full, but ends in just drops after fifteen minutes. The mower is receiving so little fuel, it is amazing that the engine stays running...

The mower is used for residential use only on a 3 acre farm.

PLEASE Help, I need to mow anytime!!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

khouse
04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Sounds like the vent in your fuel cap is plugged. Run you cap loose and see if it runs longer than 15 minutes. If it does then clean or replace the cap.

CurbAppeal33
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I forgot to mention I tried that also. I ran the mower without the fuel cap on to see if that was it. '

The same problem occured. The gas stopped going into the fuel filter.

topsites
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Cut off the fuel, then remove the carb bowl and make sure the float is moving up and down freely, a sticking carburetor float mechanism can cause this problem. Before you start, make sure you have some carb cleaner spray handy, even if it doesn't appear to be sticking I would spray it down good, and I wish you luck!

CurbAppeal33
04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
How exactly do I do that Topsites?

topsites
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok, I'll explain it but if you don't know much about it, it might be best to take it to someone qualified.
It's not that hard to do, but if you mess it up it's LOL'd.

The carb bowl should be on the bottom of the carb, and should look like this:

http://www.propane-generators.com/images/troy-bilt/new%20carb_small.JPG

You're looking for that round shiny thing, not the top 2/3'rds is a carb in pieces, you just need to find the bowl.
Yes, that perfectly round thing on the bottom with a flat bottom and round around, some are shaped more like a cone but that one is the usual shape.
This round shiny bowl should be on the very bottom of your engine's carburetor.

Notice the nut on the very bottom dead center, the very most bottom nut... As you loosen this, some fuel will come out because that bowl holds maybe an ounce or so, but beyond this you need to have the fuel supply cut off (or drain the gas tank).
Don't take off anything but that nut (or bolt), it's just one.
Once that is off, you may have to tap the bowl a little to get it to come off, if it's stuck on there.

Beyond that, once you get that shiny round bowl off, you should see the float.
It is similar to the float inside a toilet bowl in operation, meaning it cuts off / restarts fuel supply to the bowl.

To gain a better understanding, you might restart the fuel supply and manually operate the float carefully up and down to see how it starts / stops the flow. Technically, fuel flows in until the level pushes the float up, which cuts it off.
By the way, do this on a paved surface and be careful, parts like to fall off at times, you'll have to reassemble these.

The bowl itself is where the carb gets its fuel from, a properly operating float ensures a continuous supply, one that sticks can cause supply to run low.

CurbAppeal33
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Topsites-I would like to thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. I am actually having a buddy that knows what he is doing help me fix this. He should know exactly what to do now.

Once again, thank you.

xjcamaro89
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I have recently had the same problem with the same tractor, i have only 52 hours on the tractor after 6 months. Here is what i have observed, the fuel filter canister never fills up above 1/2, and then you can run the tractor and watch the fuel get sucked out till it is empty then if you let it sit, it will slowly fill up a little, and you can run it for another 15 mins, so i pulled all the fuel lines off and cleaned them out. Then, (and i dont know what made me do this) i flipped the fuel filter around so the arrow on the filter is pointing to tank instead of carb. As soon as i turned on the tractor on the fuel filter canister filled right up and the tractor ran and it seemed like the fuel kept coming in. So i dont know if that made the difference, or if the float just happened to break free while i was flipping the fuel filter? Anyone have any ideas or comments on this?

CurbAppeal33
05-01-2007, 11:05 AM
That is an interesting idea. I will try this. My fuel filter never fills up to even 1/2 full. I would say a 1/4 full at the most. I mowed the first time this year and the mower seemed somewhat ok. Then on my second mow, the mower had about a 15 minute gap where it started to sputter and lose power. That happened after 25 minutes of mowing.

Then it went back to normal.

xjcamaro89
05-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I really dont know why this would make a difference, anyones input would be great, but also, where is the vent for the gas cap? i dont see a tiny pin hole anywhere for a vent, can i drill a very small hole in the cap for a vent?

xjcamaro89
05-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, nevermind the backwards filter idea, it worked for a while, longer than it did the right way, but then started sputtering again after about a half hour. (But now leaves me to beleive that it could be the float because when it started sputtering this time the fuel filter was full, ;) ) So i put a new fuel filter on and the filter filled up with fuel and ran for another 15 minutes, and then quit, leaving the fuel filter empty. I am going to try the float check tonight, and maybe put a vent hole in the gas cap. Anymore comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Kapaun
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Just curious-
What's the part# for the filter you are using?
Does the engine have a fuel pump, or is it gravity fed?

khouse
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't put a hole in the cap. There is a built in vent in it. Just run the cap loose enough to draw air and see if you issues are solved. If they are then buy a new cap. Most filters look like they are only half full or less. I find this normal.

xjcamaro89
05-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Ok last night, i was going to check the float, but when i got to it, the bowl doesnt just come off, there is a electronic solenoid with a plunger that runs up and down on the bottom of the bowl, so i am thinking that, that is the float, and it was fine and moved free. I also opened the gap on the spark plugs a little, they seem really tight, ( i work on cars and racecars, and never saw a gap this tight before) i then ran the engine and used some small engine carb and choke cleaner to run through the carb. Then i drained what little gas that was in the tank from god knows when, and got rid of the rest of the gas in my gas jug from god knows when, and got some fresh gas, and put a tiny bit of dry gas in with it, filled it up, started it up and i mowed grass for about 1-1 1/2 hours and not one sputter. I think i just had some old watery gas. But still my fuel filter never really gets alot of fuel in it, just barely enough to touch the paper element, which only seems like a couple dribbles, is that normal? if i tilt the filter on its side so the little bit of gas cant touch the element anymore i can watch just a liny bit more fuel get sucked into the filter, but just enough to get the fuel to touch the element. Just doesnt seem right. can i get a smaller fuel filter? the one that is on there is about 2 1/2" long, im thinking like one of those small disk sze ones with the stone in them, the ones that are only like 3/8" wide. I dont know, but the tractor seems to be working now.

FERRISBUEHLER
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure if your tractor has a fuel pump. But I had a Craftsman with a Similar engine that had a vacuum-pulse operated pump. The pump's diaphragm had worn and cracked, the repair part cost was under $10. Not seeing the machine, and the half filled fuel bowl, leads me in that direction of that being the cause.

John

khouse
05-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Did you read my post on the fuel filter. Besides you need to leave well enough alone. You said it was working so what's to fix?

xjcamaro89
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
It wasnt the fuel bowl that was 1/2 full, it was the filter, but anyway, i think it is running right now, i will see when i go back over the yard tonight. Thanks!

Bill Kapaun
05-03-2007, 02:03 PM
The solenoid on the carb is the fuel shut off to the Main Jet.
It's an anti backfire device. You shut the engine off (at higher speed0, solenoid shuts off fuel and the engine "purges" any remaining fuel/fumes to prevent it from back firing.
It's not uncommon for fuel filters not to be full. As long as gas flows is all that matters.
Many of those engines are supposed to have a .040" spark plug gap. Since you chose NOT to post any engine numbers, who knows for sure.

Tagg
05-05-2007, 12:01 AM
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: I have a A/C D-14 1957 MODEL WITH ZENITH CARB I want to put an in-line fuel filter between gas **** and carb. any suggestions to what kind to use and part #

Well if you just have to do that be sure you get one made for a gravity flow fuel system or your just looking for more trouble. Go to a lawn mower shop or motorcycler place to get a filter since they are made for that type of fuel systems. If you get an in-line filter made for a car you will have trouble with if down the road. I've fixed more tractors with fuel system problem just by throwing the in-line filter as far as I could that its not funny. Shoot stock they have 3 filters so why ad a 4th one. Theres one on the sediment bowl in the tank, one in the sediment bowl and then there should be one in the elbow going in the carb.

Old, I agree with you completely. In line filters only give good service if they are between a fuel pump and the carb. I only remember three tractors with these filters. Had all kinds of problems with all three. Replumbed without the filter and everything is great. My recommendation is don't do it. If your fuel is dirty enough to need it, you'll have trouble. If fuel is clean, you don't need it anyway. The settling bowl served these tractors well when they were used everyday and for long hours. They do the job with limited use as well.

They don't have a filter in the tank. They have one in the sediment bowl. They don't have one in the carb. I've never had any problem adding an in-line filter like a Fram G-2 when I don't trust the bowl filter. I occasionally add a one inch plastic hose on top of the sediment bowl fitting to keep the tank bottom-feeders from sloshing into the line. If you run into more than the bowl filter, it certainly is not stock. When these tractors were new they came with only one- it's hust in the intervening years, with rust forming in the tank, that more might be in order.

Guess I'verun into a few after market sediment bowls then on a few of the Allises I have played with. Some of them have had a screen on the top of the sediment bowl assemblys and some have even had a filter in the elbow, but I guess ford parts will fit so maybe thats where they came from

Well- you never know what has been changed in what- last two weeks, 50 years, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Been Running with one like this for close to 8 years. Have yet to have the first problem with it. I dont know what ones that give a problem but is sure aint this one.

Yep ones like that do/can cause problems. Just means you have a good clean fuel system nothing more. I know just in 3 years I have thrown away 10 fuel filters like that one and every time I have done that the tractor has run like it should and hasn't had any more fuel problems. My self I will NEVER tell some one to put one on becuase I've seen more problem with then the worth the trouble of useing them.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: