PDA

View Full Version : loader on or off when rotary mowing?

Dirt Digger2
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
just curious how many of you take loaders off your tractors when doing only rotary mowing?...we run with ours on, not because it takes too long to get it off (only 5 mins) but we figure on hillsides lowering the loader to almost ground level lowers the center of gravity, plus it adds a lot of weight to the front to offset the heavy mower weight...

what i REALLY dont undertsand is the idiots who say "i can't see with my loader on" so instead of taking it off they raise it as high as it will go and drive around fields like that. i was on a job once where a mexican with a bobcat with a bushhog on it was rotary mowing..when he went from one spot of the field to the next he would raise the mower all the way to the top of the cab so he could see...worst part was he didnt even shut it off!!

lawnspecialties
04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I always take my loader off when just using implements in the back. Spreader, aerator, BushHog, etc. I have some front weights to help keep the front end down.

Besides, a front end loader on the tractor with a BushHog is way too long than the trailer will even hold. :)

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I always take my loader off when just using implements in the back. Spreader, aerator, BushHog, etc. I have some front weights to help keep the front end down.

Besides, a front end loader on the tractor with a BushHog is way too long than the trailer will even hold. :)

We've got quick attach on our Kubota loader arms, so we just drop the bucket.

However, when I get a new tractor (2-3 years), Kubota now has a setup where all the hydraulic hoses just clamp in with a large clamp, so I'll do it that way, so I can drop the arms too.

prosperity
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I depends on the job....

I have a quick attach loader, and also have front weights.

For jobs that are pretty rough, with a lot of saplings etc, I'll run with the loader on. I leave the bucket about 8" off the ground, and that will push the taller stuff over before the tractor gets to it. Nice for finding hidden stumps too.
Also, if there is anything that has a good hill on it, I like the loader on to help stop me if I start to slide.
One other point - even though my tractor is 4wd, I have turf tires on it. Once, I got into a muddy area that packed right up in my tires, and was stuck. I used the loader to push myself back out.

For something flat and just grassy, I'll use just the front weights