PDA

View Full Version : Nailed Again! / And Another Reason To Buy Hydro!

geogunn
07-27-2001, 11:56 PM
while finishing up the weekly mows, TODAY,I got a hurtfull reminder of what has happenend just about every year since I've been in the biz.

a yard that I mowed last week has aquired a yellow jacket nest this week.

and the rest of the story is "EEEYOW, DAM---, SH-- (ucks), HELLFIRE", and other words that I can not post here.

and now the rest of the story.

as I got nailed the first time...I took off! the fate of the OLE LESCO was not on my mind.

to get to the rest of the story, I ran about 150 feet and got stung one more time.

the ole 48 LESCO, belt was crashing along following right behind me but I didn't know it!

as I released the operator handles, the motor died but gravity took over and the ole LESCO crashed down onto the street!

if it had been a hydro, ir would have died and stayed on the bank, I think.

in any event, I am still hurting BAD! but revenge will be sweet. I gotta go. I got something to take care of! hehehe!

GEO

65hoss
07-28-2001, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear it geo. But you are correct. The hydros don't really move after the power is off.

They do make a nice fireworks display at night. :D

JJOHN22042
07-28-2001, 01:20 AM
Went to grab the Ladder the other day and what do I grab attached to the ladder a Wasp nest. Never knew I could run so fast. THen to top it off the Guy across the street saw the whole thing. Went to the depot and got some Spray boy did I feel better after the big kill lol.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

linky
07-28-2001, 10:23 AM
The last time that happened to me i was very glad the mower rolled down the hill. Who would want to pull a mower off of a yellow jacket nest anyway? Luckily your mower did not hit any thing. Kill the bees-Kill the bees!

Charles
07-28-2001, 10:46 AM
I know how you feel Geo. One time I hit a stob in the ground and out came yellow jackets and got me as I ran. The JD hdro I had at the time just sat there next to the nest. I had to wait awhile for them to calm down enough to back that thing out. Has to be the worst part of this job. I try to scope out each yard these days but the shady yards are the worst when it comes to spotting them.

CandJ
07-28-2001, 05:05 PM
I did the same thing (ran over a wasp nest), except my old Toro went head first into a pond. Went down to the T-bar handle. I had to pull it out with the pickup. Bad day - I was doing my last lawn just before leaving for vacation.:cry:

Needless to say, vacation was postponed for a few more hours...

Cutter1
07-28-2001, 08:22 PM
I hate to say it, but there really is nothing funnier than watching people run from a bees nest. Unless of course it is you. I average about 10 stings a year. They never get you the first pass over, its always the next pass, then they nail you!!!

Lanelle
07-28-2001, 08:35 PM
For people who are allergic to bee stings, they are literally running for their lives sometimes. That's about when the humor fades.

Cutter1
07-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Man Lanelle, your always serious :) THis is true about being allergic, but if they aren't allergic it is funny. Everyone laughs at me when I run, so I have to when I see it happen. :D

geogunn
07-28-2001, 08:37 PM
REVENGE IS MINE!

it was swift and deadly! not the most environmentaly responsible way to do it but effective none the less.

about a pint of 87 octane down the hatch did the trick. then I stobbed a 2 litre bottle down the hole just for good measure.

it's amazing. I mowed this place last week and they weren't there. they had drilled a perfect hole about 11/4 inch in diameter and there were no cuttings around the hole. I guess they carry the dirt away.

I'm still hurting in both places. the shot to my underarm above the elbow has made a knot and formed a red place about 3 inches across. DARN he got me good.

in any event, we need to be careful out there!!!

GEO

jnjnlc
07-28-2001, 10:24 PM
Geo, you are not alone. I got stung the other day and could not find the nest until a backed over it again. They were after me but I got away that time. I let them settle a bit and hit with some bee spray. There all dead now. I have been hit several times this year.

Once I was trimming hedges and stuck the end of the trimmer in the grond right into a yellow jackets nest. Three of them boogers got me. One on the temple, man that hurt for a couple of days. I am not alergic but they sure do hurt like heck.

geogunn
07-29-2001, 01:33 AM
jnjn...--back in the glorious '70's I worked for a man doing alot of what I'm doing now.

he had a big heavy 2 cycle hedge trimmer that smoked like hell (probably a 16 to 1) and blew the smoke into the bush as you trimmed.

wasps were bad to build nests in the bushes like "boxwoods" and this trimmer would smoke them out.

I finally learned to stand there and smoke them instead of running. it took a while!

I wish my echo hc-1500 blew the smoke out straight but it doesn't.

GEO

MOW ED
07-29-2001, 11:15 AM
Just be careful guys. Just because you are not allergic doesn't mean that you cant have a reaction. If you get hit multiple times your body will release lots of histamines and it can result in anaphalaxis. If you start to have difficulty breathing or start to swell up or get hives, its time to leave the mower and call 911.

cp
07-29-2001, 07:52 PM
I was using my angle grinder and a yellow jacket had gotten inside and with the motor running it couldn't get out but it could bite the he11 out of my finger. I thought I was being electricuted and almost dropped the grinder.

Bad day in the shop...

SLS
07-29-2001, 08:58 PM
On the topic of wasps and such:

Look out around those hollow tubular clothsline poles!

I was trimming around one last week and red wasps started pouring out of the hole on one end. Naturally it was the side that I was on.......

I got nailed on the jaw and still have a hard spot where it got me...YEEOW!! :angry: That particular wasp was immediately squashed...first time I ever slapped the s#!t out of myself...heheh

I carry a big can of Ortho wasp and bee spray in the toolbox for just such an occasion...the rest of his buddies are now 'history' too! :D

tralfaz
07-31-2001, 01:11 AM
I just got stung today by those devilish yellowjackets. That's the first time I've ever been stung while riding a ZTR. They used to and occasionally still do get me when operating a walk behind (I'm not behind them as often as I used to be). They are the worse because there are so many of them. I like to pour gas down their hole and light a match for good measure. It's also fun to have the trimmer head spinning over their hole, so when they come out it is a certain death. It is not recommended to do this too long because the ones out of the hole will start coming back.

plow kid
07-31-2001, 02:38 AM
Kerosene knocks them dead and is $1 a gallon, cheaper then gas or spray, even better when you put it in a pump sprayer

linky
07-31-2001, 06:20 PM
I got hot for the first time this year-GRRR! I hate those yellow jackets. I ran over the nest four times (my turn around point). I guess the mower deck didn't bother them too much but on my last turn the tire locked on their hole. I ran and ran and ran. I was at a busy parking lot and people must have though i was crazy-lol I know that it did look funny.

John DiMartino
07-31-2001, 08:01 PM
Ive been stung every year,many times,but 2 yrs ago,I got stung over 20 times in the legs,when trimming.I had been stung up to 15 times before,but 20 did it fir me.I got dizzy,and started to pass out,It happened on the 7th tee at our golf course,at about 7am,I was trimming a steep bank ,and hit a ground nest,I hopped on my cart,and I just made it back to the clubhouse,where i popped some benydryl.If we didnt hav it there,Id be dead right now,no way i wouldve got to the hospital in time.I now carry benydryl in my trucks,and do not trim with shorts.

DanG
08-01-2001, 01:28 AM
I've joined the club too......

I was mowing the other day in a yard and nudged a small shrub with the Z- master and got nailed in the finger. As I sat there looking to see where theittle bastards came from got nailed 2 more times.
I thought they were in the shrub but they weren't. (yellow jackets in the ground next to it)had to just about pry my wedding band off because it was so darn tight on my finger.

The best or worst part was I went to warn my brother who was trimming but got to it too late.
He was on the other side of the house. By the time I caught up to him he was at the shrub looking at it with a fowl look on his face.
They went up inside his chaps where they're open in the back and got him about 10 times from his knees to his ankles.
Thats the only nest we've found in residential lawns this year so far but in the cemetery's that a whole differant story they're everywhere.

Dan