PDA

View Full Version : Echo vs. Stihl...String Trimmer...What one to buy???

abcfamily
04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
O.K. People I know that there are many threads probably on this subject however please humer me!
I want to upgrade from my "weedeater brand" to a new Echo or Stihl (only two brands my dealer sells). I only mow 8 residential yards per week and also will be purchasing an Edgit to be installed on said trimmer. I do know that I want to stick with a tap and feed string system.
So what model is best, most comfortable, reliable....
Thanks for your thoughts! :usflag:

topsites
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Well if you plan on doing any acrobatics with the stick, the Stihl wields and swings and flings far better than the Echo. :laugh:

For comfort and longevity, the Echo's D-handle is awesome, and they run forever.
For power and brute force, the Stihl's top rpm's are higher, but they don't seem to last as long (the 4-mix hangs tough thou).

As for comfort, any Stihl of mine I buy always gets the Echo's D-handle installed (extra $20 for the handle DIY), I can't stand those hard plastic Stihl handles.

The echo's safety feature is annoying, but you can tape the top lever down on the handle or remove it.
With the echo, make sure you buy one extra throttle lever, sooner or later you catch that orange thing sticking out and snap.

If I were you I'd get the Echo, but I like Stihl's with the Echo's D-handle myself.

Lynden-Jeff
04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
We run all echo. I like them alot. I have taken out the crappy safety triggers on all of mine.

Cheers
Jeff

ed2hess
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Both are good units....but I don't know why anyone would put on the edgit thing.....never needed one of those, bump heads do fine. But the main reason I responded one guy claimed he didn't have enough power to drive an edgit and needed to go up the the 261T Echo because it is high torque . Aren't the edgit thinges heavy?

abcfamily
04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
The Edgit when used to edge walks and mulch beds actually rolls right on the ground so weight is not an issue there.
I currently use an Echo 230 stick edger to do all of my edging and it does a fairly good job but this could eliminate using two different tools.
As far as trimming with it yes you do have to hold the weight of the Edgit but you also have the dome to block debris from flying back at you or a window.
There website does not say how much they weigh. My guess would be 5#.
www.edgit.com
Thanks!!

C&K
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
O.K. People I know that there are many threads probably on this subject however please humer me!
I want to upgrade from my "weedeater brand" to a new Echo or Stihl (only two brands my dealer sells). I only mow 8 residential yards per week and also will be purchasing an Edgit to be installed on said trimmer. I do know that I want to stick with a tap and feed string system.
So what model is best, most comfortable, reliable....
Thanks for your thoughts! :usflag:

We have a Stihl 110r and a 110r kombi system with the edger and trimmer attachments. The 110 has impressed us thus far and it runs the edger with no problem at all. We are very happy with them and if we had to decide on trimmers again we would get the same. If you are only wanting to buy one I would recomend the 100 kombi w/trimmer and edger attachments. Stihl boasts that the 110r is the best power to weight ratio.

Tim Wright
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I run stihl, Kombi w/ edger & trimmer, chain saw, and another trimmer.

Either Echo or Stihl are good lines. I have stihl because I have two dealers within 10-15min drives in two different directions.

Tim

lawnprosteveo
04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
For that number of yards, I think Echo is just what you need. For the price and the availability of parts, Echo would be my choice.:usflag:

marckxman
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Both are good units....but I don't know why anyone would put on the edgit thing.....never needed one of those, bump heads do fine. But the main reason I responded one guy claimed he didn't have enough power to drive an edgit and needed to go up the the 261T Echo because it is high torque . Aren't the edgit thinges heavy?

I have been edging with string trimmers for at least ten years. I am pretty good at it.

I took the plunge and bought an edgit anyway after reading many postive reviews on this site.

At first I was a little disappointed but I am now a believer. I am faster and more productive. Weight is a non-issue. It bolts up directly to the Echo. Don't know about the Stihl.

If you like a bump head then use it. This has nothing to do with the string feed of your choice.

My trimmer is a 15 year old Echo SRM 1501 and it drives it fine. It saps no power. Anyone who thinks it does should not be allowed near power equipment of any kind.

It has a few minor downsides but also a few unexpected upsides.

All in all I like.

justanotherlawnguy
04-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Get a Stihl and put an Echo handle on it. I like how the Stihl has cruise control, so I dont have to hold the trigger down the whole time I trim..

ThirdDay
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Get the Echo SRM-210 or 230..it'll be all you ever need. Very reliable and reasonable price! Good dealers and parts support too.

andyj020
04-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I think the stihl Fs 110 is the best on the market. The echo trimmers are too hard to change the string in. Just pop in a new spool in the stihl and ur ready to go

lawnboy dan
04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
echo is the eaisest to change string on . i can do it in in about just 1 minute

puddin' pie
04-06-2007, 06:44 AM
fs-80r $279.95

POPO4995
04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
STIHL is the only way to go!!

newblade
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I like the stihl but have never owned an echo? Both are probably good, get the cheaper one and go out and eat lunch on the money that you saved.:laugh:

Saxman
04-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I just got a Stihl FS130, I love the 4-mix engine. Great power at lower engine speed.