PDA

View Full Version : When you loose an account...

procut
04-04-2007, 05:31 PM
is it appropriate to ask who it went to. Earlier today, I got a phone call from a customer (now former customer) who said that they have found someone to mow there lawn for a "more reasonable price." I wanted to ask so bad who it was, but didn't.

BTW: I was doing it for $25.00, I guess it can get more reasonable than that.

Your opinions.

mulchmaster
04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd say you weren't making enough money anyway!! Now go find a better one, and make some money. payup payup

RedMax Man
04-04-2007, 05:39 PM
You already were dirt cheap.
Now its being done for practicly free.
Keep an eye on it and see what happens maybe you'll see who is doing it.

procut
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd say you weren't making enough money anyway!! Now go find a better one, and make some money. payup payup

I couldn't care less about this lawn, I have many other accounts that I make literally 10X more on, it just always stings a little when you miss out becuase of a lowballer.

Now would anyone else like to actually answer the question?

jpp
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
If it was a longtime customer I would have asked. If you only had it for a year or two I would not ask. Now a days alot of people are looking for the cheapest company to maintain their property. I don't have a problem asking my customers questions if I loose a lawn. It is a good way to find out the who's, why's and what went really went wrong with a customer. If it really is not just the price.

As for the comment about being dirt cheap by redmax man. How do you know his costs and even the size of property he was cutting.

JP

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Go ahead and ask sometimes you find that there is no one and they are just trying to get you to come down even lower. I have asked before actually a few times.

ed2hess
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
You can always ask ........"do you mind telling me who is doing the yard and how much they are charging".

bigtex
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I Don't Take Myself (too) Seriously, I've Lost Accounts Before Also To Lowballers, And Will Ask Straight Up Who And How Much. I Always Remember There Are Alot Of People Out There Who Are Assholes And Have There Own Agenda, Forgetabout'em.

milsaps118
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Is it appropriate to ask??? Hell yeah! Why not. When the customer calls and says game over, you lost to some other LCO, I'd ask. At that point, who cares if its good, or bad etiquette to ask. One of 2 things are going to happen. 1) They either tell you. 2) They don't. You have nothing to loose and nothing to feel embarrassed (bad) about. Just ask politely and act surprised. :drinkup:

nick-bigfootlawn
04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't ask, seems a little unprofessional to me.

milsaps118
04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't ask, seems a little unprofessional to me.

Unprofessional to who? You? Or to the customer that just called ya to let you know he gave you the ax?

The only professionalisms people are going to see are from two people. You and the customer who just 69 ya.

Just my .02.

MarksTLC
04-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I've asked in the past and found out they were to embarrassed to say they couldn't afford the service, so made an excuse trying to put it on me that I was to high. It never hurts to talk to a customer current or ex...

mulchmaster
04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey sorry if I offended you, but you asked for opinions. I tried to give you a pep talk and encourage you to not let it get you down. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.:rolleyes:

PhillyShells
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Why not ask them ?? They had no problem telling you you're out.
Screw em - ask anything you want.

Darrin A.
04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
What can it hurt now? You already lost the customer, go ahead, ask away. But, be nice about it ( not saying you wouldn't )

walker/redmax
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I couldn't care less about this lawn, I have many other accounts that I make literally 10X more on, it just always stings a little when you miss out becuase of a lowballer.

Now would anyone else like to actually answer the question?
No, but here :drinkup: have a beer and everything will be OK.

supercuts
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
butter it up, start by saying, " do you mind me asking so i know how competitive my prices are?" i have also had people who let me go becasue they cant afford it anymore, better this way then them not paying. anyway, if they are looking for cheap they arent the type of customer i want

IN2MOWN
04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I wouldnt ask. I would just drive by and see who it is. Then jump and tell them how poor the customer is at paying on time. :laugh:

WildWest
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Depending on how large the property was...I don't know if I would want them back, BUT...if you do, a follow up letter "thanks for being a customer and hope all works out for you, Thanks" will always win back someone if the new guy cant CUT it! Pun intended!

NOW, I agree with that other cat...:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Frosty03
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Thank Them!!

That would be the first thing I would do!

"Thank you for being a good customer. I am sorry to hear you are leaving BUT, if you ever change your mind, give me a call.

Then when they realize that they are getting a compromise (you have been doing a good service right?) you can put them back on your schedule, but not at the same price they were getting.

When I change a price structure, all new accounts go with it. If someone quits at an old price of say $110 a month and they decide they want to come back, its now $125 as that is my price for a new account of that size.

Just thank them, if they don't come back, go get a couple more to replace them. The best way I have found to get accounts is to run my mouth. Let people know what business you are in and you will soon have more than you know what to do with.

unit28
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Heck,
I have always asked and received honest answers.