PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer won't run FS80

scottt
04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
My stihl fs80 won't start and gas comes out of the carb and soaks the air filter. I'm not talking about a couple of drops, it seems like it would empty the tank if you kept it tilted. Any ideas?

haybaler
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a FS80, it's been all problems. I also have a 110R that was fine until they put a new carb on it and it is doing the exact same thing your talking about. I wish I new what it was also.

MowerMedic77
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
The needle valve is stuck open or not closing completely on the seat, could be from debris or the diaphragm could be worn. You will need to tear down the carb and inspect. Get a clean work surface and take your time making sure to keep track of the order you remove items(if you have a digital cam take pics of each step so you can remember how it goes back)
Good luck post back once you have it open and let us know what you find.

leejp
05-11-2007, 11:06 PM
The needle valve is stuck open or not closing completely on the seat, could be from debris or the diaphragm could be worn. You will need to tear down the carb and inspect. Get a clean work surface and take your time making sure to keep track of the order you remove items(if you have a digital cam take pics of each step so you can remember how it goes back)
Good luck post back once you have it open and let us know what you find.

I'm interested in this as well... I bought a FS 90 AR That cranks and fires but will not continue to run. Spray starting fluid down the carb and I can get it to run for a a few seconds so I think I need a carb rebuild. I can get a kit off fleabay for ~$10. How difficult is this?

Also I do not have the service manual for this trimmer so I can't see how the carb is mounted. There are a couple of holes that extend down to the motor where I took the air filter off. I assume there are screws that I remove to take the carb off in there somewhere.

lawnboy dan
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
sthil uses zama carbs which suck . walbro carbs are much better.

leejp
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
sthil uses zama carbs which suck . walbro carbs are much better.

Well... My Stihl FS 90 AR got a Walbro WT 38A on it.

JAX76CJ
05-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I have the same problem, as far as the leaking fuel goes. My trimmers run fine but just leak fuel from the Carb. I have an FS85RX and a FC100... Both with Zama Carbs. I'm not too bothered by it though, since they run great. They only very slowly leak into the air filter.... Seems speratic as well, it doesn't happen always though.

Jay Ray
05-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I put a carb repair kit in an FS80 last December, first time for me on a 2-cycle. It is not as difficult as it might seem, just need a small needle nose or tweezers and pay attention or make sketches on the way apart. I just put in the new needle valve, diaphragm, and associated parts and a gasket or two. There was lots of stuff left in the bag.

It was getting more and more difficult to start, very annoying. I hung it overhead on hooks one night with the carb down. All the gas poured out thru the carb overnight. I think it was getting too much fuel, made starting difficult. Carb repair kit has kept it starting easy and running good since then. The improvement was like night to day.

I had thought it was the coil. The carb was only 9 mos. old.