PDA

View Full Version : Struggling!!! Dixie xtreme72" or Hustler SuperZ!!

tjcezar
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Please help me. I am trying to decide between a Dixie Extreme 72" w/32 generac or a Hustler super Z w 28hp efi.. No other mower suggestions please lets keep it to these 2 machines (engine size suggestions could be good though). I have a lot of larger size props and am buying a new machine (I previously used an exmark 72" lazer w 26hp). Some have some hills which can be wet at times but pretty much are easy weekly mows. Prices are comparible so I am looking most efficient, most sturdy (something to withstand employee abuse), safety and speed. I was also considering a 66" but really like the extra width cause of the time savings. I do use the 72" on my smaller props with not too much difficulty. My hustler dealer is 5min from me but can not gaurantee a loaner (dont think he has anything comparible) if there is downtime w/ the machine he does say that his turn around is about 2-3 days (could be sooner but no garauntees) on repairs. My Dixie dealer is 15 min. from me and is very service oriented. He has a turnaround of 2 days and has a 60" loaner available for use if needed, he also offers 10-15% parts and accessories discounts. I need to buy very soon So PLEASE help!!:confused:

DixieChopper88
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
I would have to say go with the dixie, i own one right now and i am planning on buying another one, perfect in all conditions, cuts great when it is wet. Very durable machines and dependable. i do not know too much bout the other mower but dixie choppers are amazing in my experiences.

ProStreetCamaro
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
IMO neither mower. But out of those 2 I would go hustler all the way. 100% better mower than a dixie will ever be. Only down side is Hustler from my understanding doesnt do well with cool season grass which is what you have in PA just like we have here in MD. I have witnessed a big Dixie cut a lawn next to me in deep thick wet grass and it was leaving 2 strips of uncut grass on ever pass and blowing huge globs of clumps all over the place. I was cutting the exact same conditions on my Tank with no issues what so ever. The dixie also look very cheaply made compared to every other mower I have ever seen. If your heart is really set on just those 2 machines then go hustler all the way.

EDIT: dixieChopper88 no hard feelings? These are just things that I have observed over the years but may not hold true for everybody.

DixieChopper88
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Your comparing a dixie with a tank, lol. I've never seen a company run with cubs, i've seen the majority use dixie and scag and hustler. But cubs just run for around the house,lol.

ProStreetCamaro
04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Your comparing a dixie with a tank, lol. I've never seen a company run with cubs, i've seen the majority use dixie and scag and hustler. But cubs just run for around the house,lol.

There are tons of Tanks and Z-TWO's out there. I see them more than I do dixies. I think in my 15 years of doing this work I have seen maybe 5 dixies being used. In those 15 years I have seen 1 Hustler because there is only 1 hustler dealer in MD.

r.eckley
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I have had 3 28 efi kohlers and really had good luck with them. I am getting a new lazer tomorrow and i went with a 31 BRIGGS. Probably will regret it but i like hp. I had a72 with a 27 Kohler and thought it was underpowered. You will like the fuel consumption of the efi about .8gph on a 60.I have a 35h BRIGGS on a 72 about 1.8 gph but LOTS of power.

Metro Lawn
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Take the Hustler and you won't have to worry about a loaner. They are a better machine and the efi is a big plus over a Generac. The Dixie has a higher center of gravity and are clumsy on hills compared to the Hustler as well. Both are decent machines, but Hustler is the better choice and I say this from experience.

Mr.Mow-It-All
04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
I had the dixie extreme 72" with the 32 generac. SSSSUUUUCCCCKKKEEEEDDDD!!!!! Was by far the worst machine I have ever owned. The cut was so bad, and the company verified, after going throug 3 different brand new decks, they finaly gave me a full refund (I applaud dixie on that part after 3 months and 200 hours of use). I bougth a ferris to replace it and am very happy with it. That being said I demoed a hustler diesel mower, just for the heck of it and the end of last year and was very impressed with it as well. Obviously between those two I would choose the hustler. Good luck

timmac
04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I love my hustler super z.

qualitylawnmanagement
04-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I would get a dixie chopper. I am on my second and bout to add a third on pretty soon. My dealer has given a good support, always has a loner that minute if I need. The dixie chopper to me are good mowers, no fancy flashy parts just plain and simple and are tanks. You can beat them all day and will be ready to go the next day for me. Are you sure the dixie isn't a 33hp? Plus dixie has a new deck which I have on my 07 and never have had to double, I mowed yesterday with it and took off an inch and half and was clean cut, no need to double cut. Plus the extra Hp will help out if you are getting the 72in. If it were me it would be a dixie chopper. Dixie Chopper will only be the ZTR mower on my trailers.

Richard Martin
04-05-2007, 04:44 AM
In those 15 years I have seen 1 Hustler because there is only 1 hustler dealer in MD.

Use this Hustler dealer locater:

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/FindADealer/FindADealerCont/FindADealerMapCont/FADFrames.html

There is more than 1 Hustler dealer in MD. They aren't all over the place like Exmark and Gravely but they're there none the less.

Pumper
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
While they are two totally different styles, I like both mowers. I can't speak to the cut quality on the 72" deck for either mower. If it came down to it, I would probably choose the Dixie strictly because of the engine. Kohler has come a long way with the EFI but it still doesn't have the Hp that the Generac does. Generac is a true 33 hp. They are not like some companies that claim to have a 25 and a 28 but actually turn 21-23 on a dyno.

Eurosport
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Probably the best thing to do is demo both mowers in your regular mowing conditions and choose which one fits your needs. Seems like a pretty big decision considering the amount of money needed to purchase one...not really a decision for people across the country to make.

Mowman16
04-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Neither, but between the two Hustler, better all around.

TJLANDS
04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I would go with the Dixie. I have tried most brands. Scag, Exmark Hustler Bobcat and Lesco.
For me overall Dixie outperformed and out lasted the others. I have had them all side by side. They all cut well. If it is a toss up go with the better dealer.

BAKERS
04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Hustler is a much better machine but service is everything...................

TLS
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Neither.

Wait until Hustler comes out with an engine that can properly power a SuperZ 72" deck.

The 28EFI can barely handle my 60" SuperZ. Unless your content with slow poking up hills and slow poking in the deep stuff.

But overall, the Hustler wins in the engineering department....hands down.

tacoma200
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Neither.

Wait until Hustler comes out with an engine that can properly power a SuperZ 72" deck.

The 28EFI can barely handle my 60" SuperZ. Unless your content with slow poking up hills and slow poking in the deep stuff.

But overall, the Hustler wins in the engineering department....hands down.

I agree, the Super takes plenty of power to run unless your in Florida, Texas, etc.

Duncan90si
04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
My vote is for Hustler. I've ran them before when I worked for someone else. I never ran the 72", he had 60" decks. Good all around mower and reliable with no major problems. I've demoed Dixies before and I'm not all that impressed. I had a few instances of them leaving two little strips of uncut grass between the blades, and they don't feel as stable as the Hustlers do on steep banks. My $.02.

puppypaws
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you need to flip a coin.

razor1
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I had the dixie extreme 72" with the 32 generac. SSSSUUUUCCCCKKKEEEEDDDD!!!!! Was by far the worst machine I have ever owned. The cut was so bad, and the company verified, after going throug 3 different brand new decks, they finaly gave me a full refund (I applaud dixie on that part after 3 months and 200 hours of use). I bougth a ferris to replace it and am very happy with it. That being said I demoed a hustler diesel mower, just for the heck of it and the end of last year and was very impressed with it as well. Obviously between those two I would choose the hustler. Good luck

F.Y.I. My local Hustler dealer informed me that Hustler was having problems with the CAT Diesel and stopped using them for now. That was in Dec. '06

tacoma200
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Hustler is better on hills, but no power for a 72".

daisylawn
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I worked for a large school district, we demo'd many different commercial mowers, and finally decided on super Z, that was 4 years ago!! They take alot of abuse from the college kids that work in the summer, they hit fences, parking blocks, you name it! The super Z has really proven itself. I liked it so much I bought one and started my own landscape business! I would recomend the striping kit to go with it, it makes a nice look to your lawns.

tjcezar
04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
thanks guys for the input. I think I am gouing to go with the hustler(when I was originally dead set on dixie). It is more engineered than the dixie(i think will hold together better than dixie if abused), seems to be better on hills, the speed is also there. Some simple things like seat adjustment are big for me when you don't have the same operator on the mower all the time also the flex seat for comfort and the fact it has more safety features than the dixie and a much better warranty.

MTR
04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Dixie is an old and fading machine in my area, right now, the machines that I see everyday is Hustler, Toro/eXmark, Scag, and now Gravely and Lesco running wild. Occasionally you see people riding Ferris now and then but you never see spanking new DC on the run!

ProStreetCamaro
04-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Use this Hustler dealer locater:

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/FindADealer/FindADealerCont/FindADealerMapCont/FADFrames.html

There is more than 1 Hustler dealer in MD. They aren't all over the place like Exmark and Gravely but they're there none the less.

Like I said there is only 1 Hustler dealer in MD and cornell isnt really even a power equipment dealer for landscapers. the others are in VA which im not going to drive to if I ever need parts or service. The 1 MD dealer is less than 5 minutes from me.

http://mapping.excelhustler.com/cgi-bin/mapq?transaction=search&country=us&template=map_search&address=&city=&stateProvince=&postalCode=20855&maxSearchResults=6&radius=999&x=134&y=9

Richard Martin
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Like I said there is only 1 Hustler dealer in MD and cornell isnt really even a power equipment dealer for landscapers. the others are in VA which im not going to drive to if I ever need parts or service. The 1 MD dealer is less than 5 minutes from me.

Do a search from 3920 Shoreham Beach Rd, Edgewater, MD 21037 and you'll find 5 in MD within a 40 radius including Cornell. I can't help it if you live out in the sticks. :)

TriCountyLawn
04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Well good news its a win win situation. I love Hustler products as all of our wb's are Hustlers. Im sitting in limbo as to get a DC or a Hustler rider. We had both a DC and a Hustler 60" and they both had there strong points. Remember DC has a new deck and im hearing good things.

Good luck .

mowerconsultant
04-07-2007, 11:51 PM

http://mapping.excelhustler.com/cgi-bin/mapq?transaction=search&country=us&template=map_search&address=&city=&stateProvince=&postalCode=20855&maxSearchResults=6&radius=999&x=134&y=9

There are at least 10 dealers in the state of MD from my quick look in my records.

Pj

stephenslawncare
04-07-2007, 11:57 PM
i would go with the hustler. i have not tried either but i have just heard too many bad things about the dixies and the hustlers look like very good machines to me.

Sammy
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I have mowed with both machines, go with the Hustler !