PDA

View Full Version : Charge for a terrible yard

rockandroller
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Went to a new property that was a pain in the ass. Not to large in sq ft. maybe 3000, but a massive hill. I cut the hill, the back yard, and the sidewalk island (it is a corner lot in and urban area St. Louis City) with a trimmer. The only way to get a mower into the back yard was going up this hill, and because there was all sorts of construction debris laying around due to rehab, I cut the whole mother with my trimmer. Trust me, I think it was the best way. What to charge?

Busting my ass I hacked it all down in 30 min...My forearms are burning and I want to get paid. What is fair?

ProStreetCamaro
04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Went to a new property that was a pain in the ass. Not to large in sq ft. maybe 3000, but a massive hill. I cut the hill, the back yard, and the sidewalk island (it is a corner lot in and urban area St. Louis City) with a trimmer. The only way to get a mower into the back yard was going up this hill, and because there was all sorts of construction debris laying around due to rehab, I cut the whole mother with my trimmer. Trust me, I think it was the best way. What to charge?

Busting my ass I hacked it all down in 30 min...My forearms are burning and I want to get paid. What is fair?

30 X $1.50 per minute = $45

ed2hess
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Guess you won't make much of a trim guy.....what about most guys trim for around 6 hours each day. Thirty bucks for the job especiallly since you didnt' get agreement beforehand?

rockandroller
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Trimming on a 45 degree angle in large arcing patterns for 30 min would probably do in even the best trim guy. No offense, but I can work the trimmer. I have worked with the owners of this property before and they trust my pricing, thus no need for an agreement. I am going to charge $50 and I think I am being generous.

marckxman
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
If you don't want it bid it that way.

If you want it, bid it a little lower. Chances are you'll get it anyway and wish you had asked for more.

mr mow
04-04-2007, 11:10 PM
30 min on 45 deg slope is nothing. quit crying Nancy! I mean really quit crying, i have done many of yards will a trimmer when i was learning (entire yards, ran out of gas or something and wanted to get done) trimming 8hrs a day for 6 months for a year or two and you will have forearms like popeye!

Scagguy
04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Whoa! A whole 30 minutes on a slope and your arms are burning? Dude, you need to get in shape

Richard Martin
04-05-2007, 03:48 AM
$20 and I'm not kidding.

rockandroller
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Wow

We've got some funny mofo's chiming in here. I like Nancy, and especially the one who said $20 no joke. That is a joke mate! I won't pull my gear off the trailer for less than $20 and that is for yard that takes 15 min solo.....

I like getting paid well, not like a peasant. I will get $50 for that yard, and will be retiring ten years earlier than you'll who are rubbing your forearms and elbows charging $20 for cutting a yard with a string trimmer

Ground Master
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
So, you did the work WITHOUT giving a bid?

Then you bust on people for their opinions?

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow

We've got some funny mofo's chiming in here. I like Nancy, and especially the one who said $20 no joke. That is a joke mate! I won't pull my gear off the trailer for less than $20 and that is for yard that takes 15 min solo.....

I like getting paid well, not like a peasant. I will get $50 for that yard, and will be retiring ten years earlier than you'll who are rubbing your forearms and elbows charging $20 for cutting a yard with a string trimmer

Um..... so, you're saying that you're going to charge $30 more for this one yard, and that's going to allow you to retire 10 years earlier???

I agree, 30 minutes is nothing. If you're running the $60 / man hour line, than $30. If you want more, then charge more. If you want less, charge less. However, if you ask what should you charge, and everyone is less than what you're GOING to charge, then why ask what you're going to charge??

IMO, sounds like someone wanted to play the brag game.

rockandroller
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I merely wanted to check my pricing with others in the industry

The client has worked w/me for 4 years on rentals and rehabs they are doing in the area. They trust my pricing thus I don't need to give them an estimate. They give me the address and I do it...

...No bragging about it.....I hear everyone bitching about lowballing, then I ask about a price comparison and ripped apart every which way but Sunday.

If you don't want to give a price, or answer the question then don't...But don't be a f'n loser and start name calling, and making assertions. That's a huge detraction of this site. Losers with nothing better to do than go off and start name calling.

For those that responded with info...Thank you and I just disagree with your price. For the rest of you....get a hobby!

ED'S LAWNCARE
04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Charge what you think you can get away with. I'd say 40-50.The work is really not that hard 45 degree angle for under an hour. Monday I did used a trimmer around my pond most of it 45 degree cannot get a mower down there maybe a push but I did the whole thing in 3 hrs non stop except for filling up the gas, and a swig of water. The size is a total of 12000 sq ft at 45 degree. Probable could have done it faster but there were 130 fence post and trees that I trimmed around also.

BTW I'm out of shape 260 lbs 5'8", and the next day I was fine. Now I'm not bragging just pointing out there is always something worse.

Richard Martin
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow

I want you to ask yourself honestly if you'd pay someone $50 to run a trimmer for 30 minutes. If you had an employee would you pay him extra if he had to trim that hill for a half hour?

And if you retire at 38 you'll have done it 10 years before me.

rockandroller
04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Richard

Of course I wouldn't pay that much. But that's me..If it were my rental property or rehab I would do as much of the lawn maintenance as I could.....unless my time was better spent working on the rehab itself...That's not the point. I think we all get overpaid for what we do, but do our customers...? No because they don't want to do it themselves....That is why we exist..and because we enjoy it somewhat.

If the yard I did was flat, had no construction debris buried in 12 inch weeds and high grass, I would charged $25 (corner lot) to cut it. However I couldn't just get out my self propelled mower and leisurely cut it and get out in 15-20min. I think that the job should be priced according to the level of difficulty and effort. In this case I had a trimmer in my hand on a hill which is much more of a pain than simply cutting. The customer in this case knows this as well...She told me it was a ***** of a front yard. So they in turn no they are getting charged more...

I currently don't have any properties that are like this so I wanted to know if anyone thought the job was worth more cash. You think not....I just think a job shouldn't always be based on the amount of time taken...
Really didn't expect this thread to get out of control...:confused:

Richard Martin
04-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Really didn't expect this thread to get out of control...:confused:

Awww.... It's not out of control. This is what a good debate looks like. Different views and opinions. Point, counterpoint.

Allens LawnCare
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I'd go with $45-50, tell them the price will drop when the debris is gone, until then its time and time is money,