PDA

View Full Version : Where was SCAG???

Lawnshark
07-28-2001, 09:08 AM
I went to the Lawn Expo last sunday and it was incredible! One thing...where was Scag? One of the biggest names in lawn mowers and they weren't at the Expo! I also did not see Shindaiwa! Why weren't these products there? Does anyone know?

Mike (MLC)
07-28-2001, 12:38 PM
Beside's those two companies, Stihl wasn't there and neither was Echo. Not sure why these didn't show up.:confused:

Duncan IN
07-28-2001, 01:24 PM
:blob3: The best do not need to advertise. Word of mouth is the best.

Keith
07-28-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Duncan IN

Ummm, have you read some of the comments about Scag around here? Not exactly all positive. I have owned Scags, and would not buy another unless they could prove to me that they had resolved some problems. If they fail to make appearences at Expos and such, how would one know what Scag is doing.

When a company becomes complacent and fails to recognize the potential customers, a loss in market share can be expected.

Guido
07-28-2001, 03:53 PM
I'm sure they were there walking the isles with their noses pointed to the sky!

When times are good, I guess they slack off some?? Who Knows.
I would understand Echo and Stihl, but like you said, Scag doesn't have the "perfect" consumer image it may think it does!

Mark
07-28-2001, 04:40 PM
Personally here in southern in, Scag outsales Toro and Exmark 8 to 1, I guess they think if you want to see there new products go to your nearest Scag dealer. The only time i use Scag is if my primery walkbehind would go down, I have a Scag backup 52" Walkbehind but it can't come close to my 93yr old Snapper 52 hydro. I have notice across the street form a bank i cut,a fellow uses Scag turf tiger and it won't touch my Z-Master cut, Ive went a looked at it when he was done.I to was wondering why Shindaiwa did not have a booth, thats one reason i went to purchase a T-260 oh well i did buy on on monday the 23rd and its a wonderful trimmer. Marks Mowing Service

mowerconsultant
07-28-2001, 08:02 PM
The reasons you do not see Stihl, Scag, or Echo at the Louisville expo is because this show at one time was a dealer and distributor only show.
They feel there product is so good you should come to them if you think you are good enough to sell it.
It has been at least 4 years that I can remember, these oem's have not attended
The one show they will not miss is the GIE, because this show is for the end users and buyers.
Its all in the way they think.
Plus, the louisville show is quite expensive to show at.

Pj

Lawnshark
07-28-2001, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all of the info. Like I said, this was the first show I have attended and I enjoyed it very much. One thing that made me furious was the outside portion of the expo. I was at the Dixie Chopper booth outside where you can test the mowers and see how they drive. There were a few people there that really wanted to test these mowers out, but there were a few idiots that were going full speed and throwing mud all over place and almost hitting each other in the process. There was a son of one of the idiots that had the blades on and was reaching down to turn them off. He kept one hand on the bar pushing it forward and the other hand trying to turn the blades off. This made him turn hard left and he ran into one of the fence posts and almost blew up the machine. This diplay of extreme non-professionalism made me extremely upset:blob2: I hope none of you would act that way and if you do you are not professional

MIDSOUTH
07-29-2001, 12:04 AM

They probably had a wheel motor go bad on the one they show, or else it just doesn't run. I am a scag owner and it is truly a piece of $#%&. My 27hp lazer runs circle around my 25hp turf tiger, by the way my scag is back in the shop!!!

Eric ELM
07-29-2001, 12:50 AM
The best do not need to advertise. Word of mouth is the best.

Best means, there is nothing better. Everyone owns the Best mower or they wouldn't have bought it. As I've said before, nobody goes out and purposely buys the worst mower, they just think it's the best. ;)

Word of mouth advertising is great, but it doesn't seem like they are getting the Word out.

Scag sure doesn't advertise around here. I have no idea where a dealer for them is around here.

I think there must be a dealer about 50 miles west of here since I see a new crew with a new truck and 2 new Turf Tigers drive all the way over here to do a few accounts that they low balled to get. They only took one account away from me. I don't see how they can even pay the tolls at the toll booths with what they are charging. I don't expect to see them around next season as dry as it has been this summer. :cry: