PDA

View Full Version : High quality competition

grassmanak
04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Kind of a funny story, A have noticed a house a couple blocks from me had grass that was getting mighty tall, wondered if they had somebody who cut it, or were just to lazy to do it themselves. Well sure enough tonight i see a jo blow their with his minivan and ghetto setup. I come back home and their is grass all over the walks, and street, im not talking clippings, im talking mounds of grass. I tell my wife, im gonna go drop off a business card to her. So i ring the bell, lady says Hello, My name is yada yada yada, the neighbor over here asked if i would drop off a business card (lie ofcourse). She says how come, obviously because the grass all over i tell her, she says, yea this is his first cut, she tells me to keep my hanger and business card, she would just throw em away anyways. Biatch, cough cough, ill bet she thinks its funny when i call the city tomorrow.

Richard Martin
04-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Why call the city? Just move on.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-05-2007, 07:09 AM
bitter are we??? She probably knew you lied to her......

rodfather
04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
IMO, there are better things to do with your time than calling "the city". :rolleyes:

kpyoung
04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I really don't understand why some of you guys get bent out of shape just because someone doesn't want your services. Mind your own business and let other people be.

carcrz
04-05-2007, 09:05 AM
If it's the guy's first mowing, he is probably a friend of the family. That's more than likely why she wasn't even considering your services. Move on & hope she stops by later & asks for your number.

alwaysgreener
04-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Maybe she knew you cut grass and did not like the way you performed your work. And why lie??? If you went to business school you would know that is one of the worst things you can do to try to drum up work.. Just worry about yourself...

bohiaa
04-05-2007, 09:15 AM
dont do that....

guys I have been getting so many customers by word of mouth...

if you call in on her consider your self calling in on yourself....

some people just flat dont care.... I have customers like this

The mayor
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Pretty obvious you don't have enough work to keep yourself busy.

topsites
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM
uhm, I think there exists some coincidence here?

http://stonypointlawncare.com/gallery/uncategorized/GunDoingItWrong.jpg

It's not because I'm better than you, sadly I speak from my own experiences, the good news is change is possible.

grassmanak
04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
acutally she told me that the guy used to live across the street and he now has a lawn business., Ofcourse im sure he A. Doesnt pay Taxes, B. Is not insured, Or C. All of the above. If you saw our neighborhood you would know why i called the city about the grass. Everyones yard is perfect. The piles could get you high centered in a small car. Not that i shouldnt have lied to her, but would it have been better if i said, oh yea i run a lawn business and your yard looks like ShiZ

Mr Priceless
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
acutally she told me that the guy used to live across the street and he now has a lawn business., Ofcourse im sure he A. Doesnt pay Taxes, B. Is not insured, Or C. All of the above. If you saw our neighborhood you would know why i called the city about the grass. Everyones yard is perfect. The piles could get you high centered in a small car. Not that i shouldnt have lied to her, but would it have been better if i said, oh yea i run a lawn business and your yard looks like ShiZ

more like i'm blah blah blah and would you be interested in quality lawn care service?

You should only be so down to earth before you deserve a big smack in the face:nono:

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM

I'm glad that you're able to assume all of that. You have no idea what the agreement that the two have. For all you know, her mower is broke, she knows him from hanging out at the bar, and said "hey, if I buy you a drink, will you hack down my grass?? I don't care what it looks like, I just need to get it hacked down, the mower is in the shop." Guy says sure, hacks it down, moves on.

Get off of your high horse, get more work if you need to, or at least black out the side windows on your truck so your focused on the road, not other people's problems.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd tell ya to step off also....How is she to know if you can do any better. I love to hear guys try to get business by berating the competition.....it makes you look pretty dumb......

Derek

grassmanak
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
You guys would truley have to see it, And she knows mine would look ten times better i cut the house kiddy corner to hers and its perfect. If his mower is in the shop, the his trailer, truck, and cutting skills must be also. Omaha, has over 700 registered lawn care companies, competition is tighter than you can ever imagine. I have seen bids as low as 14.00 for 4500 sqft lawns from legit comapnies. People will do anything to make a quick buck in this town.

RedMax Man
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
You need to improve your marketing skills or you aren't going to get anyone to hire you. Lying about other people to get an account is hopeless. Just be upfront.

nobagger
04-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Why lie? Now you just pissed her off about the neighbor's. If the grass was out of control every week and he left it looking like crap, blowing clippings into and all over the sidewalks that would kinda piss me off too if I had to look at it every day. Plus all the clippings blowing into my yard...no thanks I spend enough time cleaning peoples yards and barley have time for mine let-alone cleaning up his mess.

metrolandscaping
04-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I like this site and I think it can be a good resource. I also know that there are alot of people on here that think they are better than the next guy in line. You see this guy and automaticly assume the worst about him. You know nothing about him or his life. Someone posted a good point that maybe this guy was doing her a favor. Hard to believe I know but homeowners DO have lawnmowers......EVEN BETTER....they even have their own trailers sometimes to. Just remember it is a long fall from that high horse you are riding on. It would be interesting to see what kind of business you run yourself. Lets talk about that!!!! I know I dont have time to run over to another property to make myself look foolish. But hey more power to you.