PDA

View Full Version : New Aluminum Dump Insert!

RedWingsDet
04-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I got my new dump insert today, finally. It is a DownEaster Aluminum Dump insert with the double acting pump, Head Board and Tarp System. It is awesome. I cant wait to use it!

Any comments?

BMFD92
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
nice. im looking into getting one for my truck.

nt1
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Looks good!
What kind of capacity does something like that have?

RedWingsDet
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
It will hold 6 Yards of Mulch with my 4ft sideboards, however I think I would be overloaded, so I will most likely only haul 4 yards at a time. I am mostly using this truck for grass clippings and delivering sod.

TWUllc
04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Was that brand cheaper than a Truckcraft aluminum insert? Just curious.

RedWingsDet
04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
no. it was OVER $5,000. IMO this brand is the mercades of dump inserts.

It has a double acting pump, which means power up and power down, most have gravitiy down which causes many problems and takes forever, this is also welded better all the way down the sides, ahs a tarp kit and headboard.

Matts lawn care
04-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Looks great. A dump insert is on my list when I get a truck later this year.

Rizzo
04-05-2007, 12:49 AM
That is pretty sweet looking. How much does 4 yds of mulch weigh? And is that a 2500 or 3500 single wheel?

hosejockey2002
04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Nice looking insert. It's nice that the lighter weight gives you more payload. Your comment about the double acting pump- a gravity down system should not cause any problems if it's designed correctly. My Maxidump comes down just as fast as it goes up- about 15 seconds. Nothing wrong with power down, it's just unnecessary. Most commercial dump trucks don't have power down.

RedWingsDet
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Nice looking insert. It's nice that the lighter weight gives you more payload. Your comment about the double acting pump- a gravity down system should not cause any problems if it's designed correctly. My Maxidump comes down just as fast as it goes up- about 15 seconds. Nothing wrong with power down, it's just unnecessary. Most commercial dump trucks don't have power down.

Ive heard of alot of people not getting their to come down and having to pull down on the sides. Plus for salting the double acting pump is nice.

I dont want to start a debate on which insert is better over others. I think if people would just do their research they would find out for them selves.

Rizzo
04-05-2007, 01:02 AM
I would guess the Alum might be light enough that if you get normal wear and grime the ram doesn't fall as easily as when new and it would be much slower coming down than the steel boxes...

RedWingsDet
04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Who knows. I dont really care since I wont have to worry about the box not coming down anyway. Its better to be overkill than under. I cant wait to start using it.

Any other oppinions?

gammon landscaping
04-05-2007, 01:12 AM
i had a 1 ton dump one time that had a 12 foot bed that the tail gate only went down like a pickup. well when you dumped a load of dirt all the dirt stayed on the tailgate and the bed would not go down and if you were really lucky it would all the weight off the back tires so you would be stuck. i sold soon after shovling it out a few times

Rizzo
04-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Redwings-I was replying to hosejockey about the gravity thing... I agree that the power down is nice... Have fun with it! Ref earlier in the thread-do you know how much 4 yrds of mulch weighs? I was just curious because I had 4 yards on my single axle 3500# trailer the other day and the axle was touching the frame...

RedWingsDet
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
gammon. I have a 1 ton dump also, a f350 with a 9ft dump body. I love it never ever had a problem with it and ive hauled mulch, topsoil, mulch, sod, dirt, you name it.

Rizzo. I have the slightest idea what a yard of mulch weighs. Also my truck this insert is in is a 06 2500HD that tows a 05 20ft enclosed trailer with my lawn equipment. my dump truck is a 00 F350 with 54k miles on it dully v10 with a 9ft dump bed. towing a 16ft open trailer (for barrows, cutters, plants, etc.)

Gravel Rat
04-05-2007, 01:27 AM
You better cut some 2x4s one for each side to jam between the frame and rear axle so you can have solid suspension to carry the load :laugh:

The power up and power down will be good for when your scooping out of the box with a shovel you can drop the box down at any angle you want.

The insert looks good one thing about aluminum there is no worries of rust.

nobagger
04-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Redwings Det. I just put ours in today! It was pretty painless, lol. The Fords already line up with the holes so there was no drilling just a few measurements. We had it in, in about 2.5hrs. Is that aluminum or stainless? and what did you pay for the tarp kit?

RedWingsDet
04-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Im sorry. Its stainless. But anyways its a HELL of alot better than regular steel...

I think the tarp system was about $200. but im not 100% sure.

tthomass
04-07-2007, 04:31 PM
what is its weight? 500?

tthomass
04-07-2007, 04:32 PM
and can you put tools inside the bed under the dump/between the sides?

mrusk
04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
and can you put tools inside the bed under the dump/between the sides?

I think someone is thinking about buying a dump insert!!

ed2hess
04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
It will hold 6 Yards of Mulch with my 4ft sideboards, however I think I would be overloaded, so I will most likely only haul 4 yards at a time. I am mostly using this truck for grass clippings and delivering sod.
I must be missing something......6 yards of mulch will hardly fit on my double tandem trailer?

Rizzo
04-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I must be missing something......6 yards of mulch will hardly fit on my double tandem trailer?

Because of weight or space? I have had 4 yards on my 6.5'x12' single axle...

ed2hess
04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Because of weight or space? I have had 4 yards on my 6.5'x12' single axle...

Space......and beyond 6 probably getting close on weight. But yes with taller sides I could get 8....but the dump insert can hold more than a couple yards?? The half baked mulch we get in our area has too much water in it.

RedWingsDet
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Here are some pic's with the sides on. I cut a notch in the side boards to hold the tarp in nice and snug, I then took a rope and wrapped it through the center and ends so when we bring the tarp down, nobody has to get up in the truck, theyjust grab the rope, go to the back of the truck and pull it towards the back.

mverick
04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Nice looking insert.

I have a question. Why an insert?

My dump trailer hauls 10,000 and have had 19,900 on it. Guy running the loader got carried away. But I still hauled it. Tires were tired looking though and the dump worked. Trailer is a 12ft with 3ft sides and it holds 10cu/yds.

I never understood putting an insert in a truck. Insert costs as much as my trailer new.

Not trying to put down an insert just wondering the reasoning behind them. Guy close to me has one in his one ton and I didn't understand why.

RedWingsDet
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
For smaller jobs and grass, also for salting. My main reason is grass clippings and salt. But it will be nice for those bigger mulch and sod jobs where I can take 2 dumptrucks.

For a sod job:

Chevy takes all the old sod that we cut out.
Ford has the topsoil ready to be put down.
Trailers have the sod.

That way we just go to the job with all our tools and materials and dont have to leave the site until the job is done.

For mulch we can fit 5 yards in each truck, which will be handy since I have a few 10yard jobs coming up.

tthomass
04-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I think someone is thinking about buying a dump insert!!

nah, I looked at them a year ago before I bought my dump trailer but didn't like the weight. Yea I could dump but what could I haul legally?

hosejockey2002
04-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I have a question. Why an insert?

I think it's all about your own needs. I tow either a flatbed trailer for my tractor or an enclosed trailer for my lawn equipment. The insert allows me to haul material while towing either trailer. I can't take the volume or weight of a dump trailer, but my insert handles most of MY hauling needs. Another guy, who knows? I can also place material with my pickup and insert that a guy with a trailer would have no chance of getting into. An insert is also much higher off the ground. The disadvantage is that it's harder to load, but an advantage is that when you dump dirt or gravel, you get a nice, compact pile. Since a trailer is much lower, you're forced to spread the pile out a little when you dump it. As far as cost goes, my insert was $3K installed. Around here you can't touch a 10K dump trailer for under $5K. I think both the insert and trailer are great tools, you just have to evaluate your own needs and decide which one is better for you.

mverick
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I think it's all about your own needs. I tow either a flatbed trailer for my tractor or an enclosed trailer for my lawn equipment. The insert allows me to haul material while towing either trailer. I can't take the volume or weight of a dump trailer, but my insert handles most of MY hauling needs. Another guy, who knows? I can also place material with my pickup and insert that a guy with a trailer would have no chance of getting into. An insert is also much higher off the ground. The disadvantage is that it's harder to load, but an advantage is that when you dump dirt or gravel, you get a nice, compact pile. Since a trailer is much lower, you're forced to spread the pile out a little when you dump it. As far as cost goes, my insert was $3K installed. Around here you can't touch a 10K dump trailer for under $5K. I think both the insert and trailer are great tools, you just have to evaluate your own needs and decide which one is better for you.

Friend here that does a lot of lawns and landscaping just had a flatbed put on his truck. No dump. A lady hit the bed of his new truck so he figured it would cover most of the cost. By the time it was done it was $3800. Looks nice but needs a dump.

I see the use of dump flatbeds. Put sides on it and dump truck. Pull sides and you can haul block and get it off with a bobcat.

I'm not sure what the dump insert weighs but if it's stainless it is heavy. So I figured 1000lbs. On a one ton truck you cut your carrying capacity to 1000lbs. My aerator weighs 400lbs throw in a thatcher and some grass seed and fert and it's full. Plus you have to carry that 1000lbs around all the time.

I can see the use to get in tighter. But to be honest, I've never had a problem gettin my Trailer in to dump somewhere. But, a dump truck is easier.

Yep, my trailer was $5000 or a little less new. It will haul a bobcat easy. I also put my tractor on it. I also went with a tilt trailer instead of the standard trailer with ramps. Can get cars or equipment on and it was $3000. Easy'r to load my excavators on also. Guy here in St. louis was trying to sell me a used standard trailer for $2500. :laugh:

I just wondered what they were good to use for and why people bought them. I can't justify it, but I figured others could.

Thanks

hosejockey2002
04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure what the dump insert weighs but if it's stainless it is heavy. So I figured 1000lbs. On a one ton truck you cut your carrying capacity to 1000lbs. My aerator weighs 400lbs throw in a thatcher and some grass seed and fert and it's full. Plus you have to carry that 1000lbs around all the time.

You are correct in one respect, a dump insert weighs about 1000 lbs. Where you are wrong is that a "one ton" pickup can carry a lot more than 2000 lbs. My 2500HD has a base payload of over 4000 lbs. This, of course does not include passengers or installed options. Real world, I can carry 2700 lbs. in the bed of my insert without exceeding any of my ratings. I have Timbrens installed and have carried over 3,000 lbs. in my insert without issue. The insert is rated at 5,000 lbs. so it dumps 3,000 easily. A dually pickup with an insert installed could easily carry 5,000.

mverick
04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
You are correct in one respect, a dump insert weighs about 1000 lbs. Where you are wrong is that a "one ton" pickup can carry a lot more than 2000 lbs. My 2500HD has a base payload of over 4000 lbs. This, of course does not include passengers or installed options. Real world, I can carry 2700 lbs. in the bed of my insert without exceeding any of my ratings. I have Timbrens installed and have carried over 3,000 lbs. in my insert without issue. The insert is rated at 5,000 lbs. so it dumps 3,000 easily. A dually pickup with an insert installed could easily carry 5,000.

I've carried 19,800lbs of gravel with the trailer weighing 4,000 by itself in my 14,000lb load trailer. But, it wasn't legal. Dumped it fine too.

I was interested in what it's rated for. Thought a one ton truck was just that, rated to carry one ton. 3/4 ton the same. Rated to carry 3/4 ton. Now if towing I do know the truck 3/4ton HD will tow more then a one ton. But I didn't think they were rated to haul a greater load. Otherwise why would they call it a 3/4 ton truck?

mverick
04-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Just looked it up. Now it's got me wondering what my one ton is rated for. Kinda strange... One is rated for 4800 lbs.