PDA

View Full Version : Liquid cooled, good or bad

newblade
04-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Is liquid cooled engines better than air?

newblade
04-05-2007, 12:12 AM
help.....someone:hammerhead:

AAXteriors
04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I heard that they are better (liquid) but if you dont watch the coolant levels you'll toast your engine. With air you dont have to worry as much.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-05-2007, 12:24 AM
They run so much cooler than air,we tested em last season with a temp quage.

lawnspecialties
04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes, yes, yes! I will always get LC if it's available. They run cooler (especially in the summer months) and they run smoother and quieter. Heat robs power and can cause premature wear and tear.

Does this mean air-cooled engines are no good? Of course not. Probably 98% of the ztr's out there are air-cooled.

Yes, watch your coolant levels and try to keep the radiator screen clean. But just like you should keep your air-cooled engine's cooling fins clean, it's something you'd just be dumb not to be doing on a regular basis.

By the way, this will be the third summer for my older SuperZ. It's got around 650 hours. At the end of the season last year, I removed the radiator, cleaned out the screens, and changed the coolant. It was the first time I ever had to touch my coolant levels. In two years, it never got too low in my reservoir.:)

MJB
04-05-2007, 01:47 AM
No comparison, they will outlast aircooled 3 to 1 if cared for properly.

newblade
04-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the opinions.

causalitist
04-05-2007, 06:40 AM
oh ya definitely. thats why they make em.

it also allows for them to tune the engine power up a tad without any extra wear. not sure if kawi or whoever does this on mower engines, but almost without fail liquid cooled engines make more power per cc displacement.

they specifically have to tune down air-cooleds so they dont sieze up