PDA

View Full Version : Lost 350 lawn contract!

1brilord
04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Well just wanted to announce that I lost a contract between $50k-$100k. I hope everyone else is having an awesome day like me! I don't even understand why. This was a contract for 350 lawns at $17 a lawn with a non profit organization. The lady had basically inferred that I had the contract over the last 6 months. My company did some routes for this organization last year but was going to do all of them. I may sue in civil court but have not decided yet. I basically built my company and hired new employees based on this contract and this company breached the contract and went with another vendor leaving me high and dry. Any business ventures that I did due to the contract should be reimbursed due to the breach. In tort law this is what usually is done. Anyways pitty party for me.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Sorry man, that sucks. Take 'em to the cleaners for damages, loss of revenue and everything else. Good luck.

procut
04-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah, that does suck - stuff like that makes it easy to get discouraged. But, do whatever you think you have to, if that means going to court, do it.

Runner
04-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Make sure her signature is easy to read on this signed contract when you present it in court.

AAXteriors
04-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Why did they go with someone else? Did they give a reason? That really sucks :confused:

Bustus
04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
ya that sucks, but unfortunately thats life. Hope everything works out.

nobagger
04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
I know what your going through! We bid a 35 unit condo complex and the guy that was on the "Landscaping/Grounds maint." board, who we sat down with and hashed out everything with said he liked us and said things looked good. I found out this guy had no vote in who they awarded their bid to,wtf! So you guessed it...no condos for us. It wasnt a 50k account but real close.:cry:

crzymow
04-05-2007, 07:09 AM
That does suck, but did you have a contract with her and when was it suppose to expire?

rodfather
04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Only 17 bucks a lawn? Maybe she's doing ya a favor. Explain the situation further please.

Shawns Lawns
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
A little more info would be nice.:waving:

chipk1
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
That's why I am residential. I watched the same thing happen to a biz here. Guy had a 25,000 month contract here for a huge subdivisions common grounds. Had all kinds of equipment and employees. BAM after 2 years he got underbid by 1500.00 a month and lost the account. Bye Bye equipment, bye bye employees. I have 1 small subdivision common grounds and that is it. All rezi's outside of that!

Sorry to hear that happen to you. You can't put too many eggs in one basket. Kinda hard to do if you just starting commercial I guess.

Liquidfast
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
That's why I am residential. I watched the same thing happen to a biz here. Guy had a 25,000 month contract here for a huge subdivisions common grounds. Had all kinds of equipment and employees. BAM after 2 years he got underbid by 1500.00 a month and lost the account. Bye Bye equipment, bye bye employees. I have 1 small subdivision common grounds and that is it. All rezi's outside of that!

Sorry to hear that happen to you. You can't put too many eggs in one basket. Kinda hard to do if you just starting commercial I guess.

You nailed it. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. But what is one to do if you are approached by someone offering you the world? You take it and hope for the best. If it falls thru, you fail....it sucks for sure.

spray_man
04-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Dude, sorry to hear your story. However, it sounds like you did not have a signed contract with anyone. What probably happened was that your bid was either altered high or low to leverage a bid that the property manager -er slime ball wanted to land (the one she was getting a kick-back on). Happens all the time. What I do is send these slime balls my bid, and copy (without telling the slime balls) the end users (home owner association presidents) in on the bid. This way whether I am the low or high bid, I can expose the bastards for what they are. Slime balls.

If you are dealing with a property manager you don't know, chances are, you are being used. A property manager usually has their team in place and the biding process for anyone else is a sham. If you want to get in bed with these slime balls, you have to be a slime ball. I for one do not play that game. It is dirty, and eventually, when they are exposed, you go down with them, and your reputation takes a dive.

1brilord
04-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. It was only $17 a lawn because the routes were pretty close together and some of them were trailer parks mostly elderly people. I also bid it so low because I would not have an advertising expense, bad dept expense and I would only have one customer that paid me not 350 that I would have to juggle and hunt down. The routes were even maped out so I basically would just have to maintain equipment and stay on schedule. She basically said that she is going with another vendor that she thinks could handle it better. Whatever that means!!??? I either got lowballed or the other company came in and swoozed her somehow. I brought up to her that it is federally funded and that I was the lowest bid. I am not sure if I want to take the company to court or not. I am probably going to sell my equipment off and call it quits. I was really excited for this type of growth for my company but nothing I can really do about it now.

1brilord
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
It was for the Utah food bank. What I learned in my business law class from my teacher who was a judge is that if there is a written offer email included which she made the offer and a written acceptance my email back then that is a contract. I have learned that contracts come in many forms and can be used in many ways. I don't know if it is worth my time but I would do it more or less to teach her and that organization a lesson and to watch what they do in the future with other vendors. She told me a week and a half before the beginning of the season.

Drew Gemma
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
good mix I use is only bid on 10 commercials a year around 10-20,000 a year each plus snow /ice extra. If we are unlucky we get 1 or 2 which gives us about half a days work for the 2 plus extras. Other than that home owners and small private businesses. Around here if you get commercial bids it means your the lowest bidder or the only bidder. By the way I got 2 this year because previous individuals had accidents and cash employees who got hurt they both tried to go after the companies insurance for bills! WTF so basically we were the only ones with ins. wc, lic. and referrances. They said we were much higher but they know they are covered. I just laughed. So we got 2 that pay good so far and thats all I want. Still looking to pick up 30 more residential accounts.

Frontier-Lawn
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I know what your going through! We bid a 35 unit condo complex and the guy that was on the "Landscaping/Grounds maint." board, who we sat down with and hashed out everything with said he liked us and said things looked good. I found out this guy had no vote in who they awarded their bid to,wtf! So you guessed it...no condos for us. It wasnt a 50k account but real close.:cry:

maybe he wanted a cut and the guy that got it offered it to him :nono:

lifetree
04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
What I learned in my business law class from my teacher who was a judge is that if there is a written offer email included which she made the offer and a written acceptance my email back then that is a contract. I have learned that contracts come in many forms and can be used in many ways.

It isn't always that cut and dry ... there are terms which could different things to different people. If it is an "implied offer" in the E-Mail, chances are that it will not stand up in court.

Black-Rob
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I will take one guess. You are a white male owner. If I am right, then you probally lost your contract to a minority owned or female owned bid.

When you are dealing with federally funded contracts, they are required by law to send these contracts to minority and female owned LCO's for them to bid on. There is a point system they have to follow when selecting the winner of these bids. I don't know exactly how gets what kind of points but it goes something like this. White male owners get no points. Minority male owners get...let's say 5 points. White female owners get....let's say 10 points. And minority female owneners get....let's say 15 points. Just because you were the lowest bid, dont mean you won the point battle.

I found this out from a mentor of mine who has been walking me through the start up process and this is one of the things he let me know about with federally funded commercial bids.

I am black, but my company is in my wife's name....for obvious reasons.

tailoredlook
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
you said basically inferred. That tells me nothing was signed. You aint gotta leg to stand on. Sorry dude. ISTBU. My father always said an oral contract aint worth the paper its printed on.