PDA

View Full Version : Level the 2500HD out or not?

mkwl
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I have just gotten my new 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD back from the shop for some brake work (needed to have the rotors turned). They suggested that they turn up the torsion bars to level the truck front to back. I like the way ot looks leveled, but am a little concerned about how it will carry loads now that the front is more or less even with the back. They turned the bars all the way up in an effort to level the truck. He said if I don't like the bars up all the way, they'll put them back down a little and re- align the truck free of charge. I was thinking I might have them lower the nose down about 1.5", to help shift more weight to the front, so it will carry a load better. Will lowering the nose help the truck "look" better when hauling 1.5 yards of topsoil (heavy) in the bed, or will lowering it not really make any differfence? Will lowering the nose help the truck "look" better when hauling our 11,000 boat/trailer? What do you think, lower the nose down 1.5", or keep it level? What have you guys with HD's done with your truck "leveling"?

Thanks,
Matt- proud owner of a GMC Sierra 2500HD!!!:cool2:

grassmanak
04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
if your going to level it, buy a kit, dont crank up your torsion bars, its causes steeper cv angles which wears out parts faster. Lowering the nose will do no good, except make you look "cali style" as a daily driver.

topsites
04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I think you'll be fine until you get into gravels or sands, and the boat's tongue weight shouldn't be more than 1,100 lbs. per standard math a trailer's tongue weight is usually 10% of total. I personally wouldn't spend any money until I found out for sure (such as by loading) and as far as I'm concerned, they can re-level the truck free of charge before I spend money on top of what appears to be a dandy suspension, but that's just me.

mkwl
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I think you'll be fine until you get into gravels or sands, and the boat's tongue weight shouldn't be more than 1,100 lbs. per standard math a trailer's tongue weight is usually 10% of total. I personally wouldn't spend any money until I found out for sure (such as by loading) and as far as I'm concerned, they can re-level the truck free of charge before I spend money on top of what appears to be a dandy suspension, but that's just me.

So would you say I should leave it "level" as it is not, or have them lower it about 1.5" free of charge?

The question I'm really asking is- will the truck look like a wimpy 1/2 ton when full of topsoil/towing if it is level now (empty), how much will the rear and sag?

ALarsh
04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
It will be fine and I would leave it if I were you. When you have a load in the back of your truck, it will slightly squat but not that much. It won't look like all the maniacs running down the road in an s-10 with 10,000 lbs in the back of it.... you get the idea. No need to worry about it.

The plow dealership turned mine up.

dozerman21
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
My personal preference is to crank them. I've done that and some to my truck. I don't like the look of the front sagging, plus you can't run much bigger wheels the way they are stock. My truck rides better than stock on most roads. Just make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

Here's a link from a while back with some pictures, and if you read down, I described what all I did.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170769&page=9&highlight=%2702Duramax

C. MOORE LAWNS
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Cranking up the torsion bars are not good for the truck esp. if you are using it as a work truck. A 3/4 would take A LOT to be sagging enough where it would be noticeably different.

TWUllc
04-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd level a personal truck, wouldn't give a thought to a work truck.

hosejockey2002
04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Unless you hang a plow on the front, I'd leave the front end at stock height. If the back sags, address it by adding overloads, Timbrens or air bags on the rear.

MOWALLTHETIME
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I looked into leveling my 2004 crewcab 2500 hd and the mechanic at the dealer urged me to leave it stock. He stated that the trucks are lower in the front than the back for towing/hauling purposes. when you have a load either in the bed or on a trailer the rear of the truck squats and the truck rides level. The front end does 70-75% of the stopping and all of the steering. If you take weight off the front end you reduce your steering response and decrease your braking power. he however told me if on my next truck if i was going to add a winch bumper or heavy implement to go for the front end serive package. It comes with heavier raised front suspension for items like plows and other impements. He also urged me to buy a kit if I decided to raise the front end do not crank up the bars, over time they will start to sag and your ride will be rougher. I decided not to level my front end and just live with it. I normally have a trailer behind it so it looks level and with gas at 3.00/gal I opted for stock size replacement tires to help ease my gas bill.

mkwl
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
It will be fine and I would leave it if I were you. When you have a load in the back of your truck, it will slightly squat but not that much. It won't look like all the maniacs running down the road in an s-10 with 10,000 lbs in the back of it.... you get the idea. No need to worry about it.

The plow dealership turned mine up.

Does your truck sit level? I'm thinking I will leave it how it is (bars cranked up, truck level), since I like the way it looks better, and it is my personal truck.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of timbrens for the rear, if I decide to put them on later down the road?

ALarsh
04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, it sits level or the front end is slightly lower than the back, but not by much. It's pretty close.

mkwl
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, it sits level or the front end is slightly lower than the back, but not by much. It's pretty close.

Yeah, I guess mine is about the same as yours then (level wise). Do you like the way it looks better with the truck close to level? How much does the back sag when you have say, a load of topsoil in it or pulling your trailer? I'd assume you plan to keep your truck level like it is?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm a truck newbie.

Thanks,
Matt

ksss
04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
The HD series is much better at hauling a load than the previous generation was. I had an 03 2500 Duramax and it took a lot of tongue weight to drop the rear. The 98 3/4 6.5TD I had took little to sag the rear. I doubt you would need to add anything to the back to make it ride level or close to it. The airbags may make it ride better and for that reason it maybe worth it but I doubt you would need it to level the truck.

FiveOJoe
04-06-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=180194

DoetschOutdoor
04-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Ive got my tbars cranked 1.5" on my Zr2 and I say go for it. I cant stand it when I see a truck with the back end jacked way up. Yes, it will make the ride a little rougher and the front end parts will wear out faster but I'm happy if my bj's and stuff last 30k instead of 40k.