PDA

View Full Version : You have a lawn that is priced right...then all of the sudden...

Ric3077
04-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Ok so you have a lawn that is priced right, and all the sudden the neighbor gets a fense (creating more trimming for you) and your customer adds 2 large landscape islands (creating even more trimming) and in the front they add 2 tree rings (creating more and more trimming) what do you do? Raise the price or just deal? What about if the customer doesn't add any landscape beds...but the neighbors put up long fences, do you tell the customer, since your neighbor got a fence your rate is going up? Anyone ever have this issue?

procut
04-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Price goes up next season I suppose.

PLS-Tx
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Raise the price, but then that's easy to say when it's not my customer.

desii
04-05-2007, 01:12 AM
As I understand it, fences are usually placed about a foot or two "behind" the property line (of the neighbors property). Of course, if both owners agree, the fence could be placed directly on the property line. If it's on the neighbors property, you really wouldn't be responsible, but your client will have to look at tall grass if his neighbor doesn't take care of it. So, I guess you could up sell with that in mind.

IMO, more work should equal more pay.

Good luck with however you decide to handle it.

1MajorTom
04-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Funny thing is, when customers take grass out... either by putting in a pool, adding new beds etc, they think the price should go DOWN because there is less grass. They just don't get it, that it actually is MORE work with more obstacles. We've had numerous people over the years actually ask for a lower price in these instances.
If the obstacles are truly more time consuming, then we'll more than likely up their price the next year, but stay with the same price for the current season.

Ric3077
04-05-2007, 01:28 AM
i think I will raise the rates next year...I wish I knew they had the work done I would have raised the rates this year...thanks

MJB
04-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Just tell customer to roundup fenceline so you don't have to pay more for trimming. We do it all the time to avoid trimming, plus protects the fence from line damage.

justanotherlawnguy
04-05-2007, 02:05 AM
I had same situation last year. This guy was my favorite yard to do, nice big corner lot with a double gate going to the back yard so the 60 would fit through nicely. Granted the back yard is only like 15x30.

He calls me one day last year and says that he will be storing his boat trailer back there. I show up for the next service and there is about 18 inches between the trailer and the side of his house. The guy went instantly from favorite to least favorite. I dont have a 22, cause I never need one plus I choose not to take yards that require thier use.

I was in the same dilema: what do I do? drop him or raise the price.

I thought, well the guy is always one of the first to pay and it does not take that much extra time to trim the back yard. I finished the year at the same price, but raised it a little this year. He was cool with that.... He knew it was more work for us and understood 100%....

causalitist
04-05-2007, 02:59 AM
my favorite account from last year, a little house, nice open simple lawn.. took 20min for $32 .. i show up, and this spring he had fence put in.. and the gate is 30some inches. i dont have a 36". i got a 48".
sucks. i cant raise it as much as i want cuz its not his fault i dont have a 36"
i figure it'll go from $32 - $40

but i want to charge $55.

i was thinking how many gated yards justify a 36" mower purchase.
28mows * $32 = $896

so 4 lawns would be $3584 .. more than enough to pay off a quik 36" in a year.

i just may need to get one. i find myself overpricing gated yards because i dont have a 36" , and then i dont get the work. im pretty sure thats foolish.

thoughts?

RICHIE K
04-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Funny thing is, when customers take grass out... either by putting in a pool, adding new beds etc, they think the price should go DOWN because there is less grass. They just don't get it, that it actually is MORE work with more obstacles. We've had numerous people over the years actually ask for a lower price in these instances.
If the obstacles are truly more time consuming, then we'll more than likely up their price the next year, but stay with the same price for the current season.

I aggree with you 100 %

NC Big Daddy
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
my favorite account from last year, a little house, nice open simple lawn.. took 20min for $32 .. i show up, and this spring he had fence put in.. and the gate is 30some inches. i dont have a 36". i got a 48".
sucks. i cant raise it as much as i want cuz its not his fault i dont have a 36"
i figure it'll go from $32 - $40

but i want to charge $55.

i was thinking how many gated yards justify a 36" mower purchase.
28mows * $32 = $896

so 4 lawns would be $3584 .. more than enough to pay off a quik 36" in a year.

i just may need to get one. i find myself overpricing gated yards because i dont have a 36" , and then i dont get the work. im pretty sure thats foolish.

thoughts?

Why don't you sell him a double gate? When we did residential (only have a few left) if the 48"wb didn't fit we didn't bid. Or I gave them a bid that included a double gate installed. I only had a few turn it down.