PDA

View Full Version : Edgit Review

marckxman
04-05-2007, 02:20 AM
I ordered an Edgit recently.

I really didn't feel I needed it as I have been doing this a long time and feel very proficient edging with string trimmers, stick edgers, and walk behind edgers.

My recent history with edgers has been to dump the walk behind and just hit it with the stick on occasion and use the string trimmer for day to day edging.

ORDERING:
Not great. The web site has ok info but there is no way to order directly online.
You either need to fax or call. I called and got Steve, the owner. He was helpful, took my info and sad he would drop it in the mail. At nearly $70 with shipping I was pretty apprehensive about the purchase.

SHIPPING:
Took longer than I thought. About 12 days to get it from call day. Arrived on my doorstep in a box. Nothing earth shattering here.

PACKAGING/ INSTRUCTIONS:
Packed fine and arrived with no damage. Instructions were decent but nothing is really difficult about this product. Came with everything needed to instal and even came with a tube of graphite to keep things smooth. Nice.

INSTALL:
I have an Echo SRM 1501. Very old but solid. The unit bolted up as easy as pie. No brackets are required with all Echo's as I understand. I don't know about others. On mine, it looks like it was made for it.

USE:
Had to learn to go "left-handed" Instructions break this down pretty well. Basically you put your left hand on the throttle and support the shaft with your right. I found it easiest to "drag" it behind me but I hear some put it in front of them. I tried this but for me it was not good . Acclamation took a little time but it got east pretty quick.

RESULTS:
At first I was pissed and wanted to return it. String broke off really fast (.80 Stihl) and results were worse then I could do free hand. I stayed with it an found out a few things.

1. String was not running tight against the Edgit. There was almost 1/4 inch gap that I could see when looking at running WOT from the side. I bought some washers and shimmed the Edgit out so it comes close to touching. About 1/16 inch gap now. Much better results.

2. WOT is not the way to run it. Backing off gave better results and longer string life.

3. Trimming hard edges is better done from the grass side and not the cement side. This has the added benefit of being more efficient as you can walk the property without back tracking as much. Big time saver.

VERDICT:
Two thumbs up. After using it for a week I am happy. I save time and the results are quite good. If I wear this one out I will get another one.

Pros:
TIME SAVER!
No brainer trimming. Hardly any skill required.
Does not interfer with non-edging activities.
Looks like you still have a guard attached.
Vaccuum effect may help stand grass up taller for trimming.

Cons:
Weight. It is a little heavier but you don't notice when edging since you roll it.
Vaccuum effect makes it feel like it is pulling down when horizontal to the ground
Wet conditions will get it dirty fast and require re-lubing.
May need to shim to get best results
Pricey. (but it is a time saver)

patterson
04-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the review. I've seen some good comments about the Edgit and I keep mulling it over. I'm not a big fan of string trimmers anyway and tend to use them to cut an edge straight up and down, so I think I may be leaning toward the edgit.

naturescape
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
The owner told me the vacuum effect can be eliminated by drilling several large holes in the Edgit.

Something I'll probably try on one of my Edgit's.........

BUCKEYE MOWING
04-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I have two and love them. It does take time to get used to it .....but well worth it. IMHO

marckxman
04-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Honestly, I just like the time savings.
The learning curve was not that steep and it works as advertised.

I didn't mind shimming it to get the results I wanted but I would have liked to have seen it mentioned in the instructions. It might be helpful to some.

RedWingsDet
04-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Can you still do a verticle cut around flower beds and such with this?

naturescape
04-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Can you still do a verticle cut around flower beds and such with this?

Nothing works better for this than the Edgit. Nothing.

naturescape
04-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Honestly, I just like the time savings.
The learning curve was not that steep and it works as advertised.

I didn't mind shimming it to get the results I wanted but I would have liked to have seen it mentioned in the instructions. It might be helpful to some.

Actually, I am very sure it IS mentioned in the instructions. They say the trimmer string should spin RIGHT ALONGSIDE the Edgit, and that it may be necessary to install spacers either on the head or the Edgit to allow this in some cases.

NTAnnin
04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok, so I bought this product three weeks ago and am very impressed with it. First of all, I will say that I did not need this product at all as I have been string trimming for three years plus and can edge perfectly and trim perfectly anyways. The reason I purchased the product was for new employees. I used it for a few weeks to see how it worked and found it to be very easy to use (with my stihl FS-80R). If the turf has grown over onto the sidewalk/drive/curb a lot then it is hard to get the perfect edge the first time, and it will take you a while to chip away at the turf (this is true when edging any lawn for the first time with a string trimmer) After the first time "setting" the edge, you will be able to fly with this thing on (I can litteraly jog if I wanted to and get a perfect edge if I go full throttle). I find it to be much easier to edge while standing on the cement side unlike the original poster so I guess i'd just recommend to try it both ways to see which way works better for you. As far as trimming went, I found it very easy to use, although you will notice the extra weight on the end of the trimmer at first. (Iv'e never had a guard on my trimmers so they used to be pretty light on the end. If you have been using a guard, then you may notice no difference in weight as this will replace the guard). I like the vacuum effect that it has on the grass and the edgit is a good visual guide for what exactly will be trimmed. This is one thing that I found very hard to show new people in the past. When they couldn't see where the string was they had trouble with trimming heights and would cut too short or not short enough.

Had a new guy start today with no experience and after 5-6 residential lawns he was trimming very well without scalping at all and was able to trim larger areas to a uniform level. His edging on the very first lawn was perfect. That is why I highly recommend this product. If a new user can edge and trim well by 5 lawns, then you know you have a good product. Past employees have taken weeks to get to where edging looks perfect, and with this product it took one lawn. Past employees have taken even more time to get comfortable with trimming accurately and evenly and with this product it took a quarter of a day. So if training time and customer complaints are down, you are going to be saving yourself money and time in the long run and probably even in the short run with this product. I will be purchasing another one for my other trimmer this week!

For Stihl trimmers the edgit comes with a bracket that helps it attach to where the guard is supposed to be attached. With edgit on, no guard is necessary and the edgit will actually protect you from thrown pebbles and twigs to some extent although you should still wear long pants, safety glasses etc... I think ive said too much at this point. Time to go make some money. ~Nick

anhn27
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
can someone post a picture of the edgit? thanks.

gl1200a
04-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Marck....wow

Well I got mine -brand new- on eBay for $45.00 on a 'buy it now' button. It came fast and well packaged (how well packed does a piece of plastic have to be). It took about five seconds to get onto, but I'm too old to learn the left hand trick so I walk, somewhat, sideways while retaining the normal hand position I walk on the left side of the sidewalk with the trimer at a 45 degree angle on the right edge and walking forward.

I think a reason it felt ackward was that I was cutting 'virgin' sidewalk. It goes thru ALOT of trimmer line also. I'm hoping that once I get an edge 'trained' and I get out of the line that came on the new trimmer attachment and onto some teflon line, there will be less line sacrificed.

I love it and wish I would have tried one earlier.

marckxman
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought I would give a quick update.

After using Edgit for nearly a month now, I am pretty much addicted.
As I become more proficient with it I am saving even more time. I very rarely even look at the stick edger anymore. Since on most of my accounts there is usually some trimming that needs to done in addition to the edging, using one tool for both saves time.

One unexpected benefit has ben that it is very difficult to take off too much when edging beds. This helps prevent the "shrinking lawn" syndrome.

I considered myself to be very good at edging with a string trimmer but I will probabaly run one of these on every string trimmer I own from now on. Time is money.

GL1200- Glad you like yours. At least try it left-handed though. In one day you can have it down and it really is more comfortable and easier.

naturescape
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
They ARE addicting to use, and far better than a stick edger once you have the groove there.