PDA

View Full Version : uhhh its snowing?

Chop Stuff Up
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I got the first mower up onto the trailer and it definitely just started to snow. That was an interesting way to start my day.

rodfather
04-05-2007, 08:35 AM
So what did you do then?

Chop Stuff Up
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Well I won't be going out for a little while longer anyway. It stopped but that really did confuse the heck out of me.

AL Inc
04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I just noticed some wet snow coming down here a little while ago. The weather people said partly sunny today so we are out doing clean-ups, but it is still raining right now. Ah, this business is never easy...

Lynden-Jeff
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Snow covered here. No grass growing for a while!!!!!

Cheers

LawnBrother
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, it's snowing a little here too. I want to go out, but, it's below freezing. Can mowing when it's this cold harm the grass at all?

terrapro
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
dont get me started! i had about $3000 worth of work on the calender for this week. monday and tuesday it was still in the 60's but it was way to windy to be cleaning up leaves, gusts of 40mph+. tuesday i was walking around in shorts then wednesday woke up and put my long johns on lol, it was 14deg outside! oh yeah and its snowing which means leaves, weeds, and debris will be frozen to the ground when i try to go to work monday

Duncan90si
04-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I woke up this morning to go start working for the day but my whole yard is covered in snow. So it looks like I'm staying home today.

abuckeye
04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Yep, snowing here too this morning. I guess I am not going to get done what I wanted to the rest of the week.

Daner
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Snow ,Wind -6 cel. Just plain ugly out there.

Lynden-Jeff
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Snow ,Wind -6 cel. Just plain ugly out there.

So depressing lol. Atleast I know I haven't missed the rush!

Cheers
Jeff

haybaler
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
ya, snow here to time to do paperwork I guess. I was hoping to get a big jump on cleanups this week. Anybody plow? my equipments put away.

RedMax Man
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
ya, snow here to time to do paperwork I guess. I was hoping to get a big jump on cleanups this week. Anybody plow? my equipments put away.

Yup, I plowed this morning. Snowed yesterday afternoon, about 2" fell then it stopped and turned to rain and sleet and then back to snow after midnight. Woke up to about 4" and had to mount the blade and headout. Wasn't all that fun, snow was very heavy and the ground wasn't really frozen. Made some dough but now this is going to delay cleanups again.

Mowman16
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Snowing here and 23, I just put plows on just in case:) Is this snow bad for the grass? I was going to cut this week and then this:cry: :hammerhead:, I think I need anger management counseling now:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

jrc lawncare
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Yup, I plowed this morning. Snowed yesterday afternoon, about 2" fell then it stopped and turned to rain and sleet and then back to snow after midnight. Woke up to about 4" and had to mount the blade and headout. Wasn't all that fun, snow was very heavy and the ground wasn't really frozen. Made some dough but now this is going to delay cleanups again. Same here. Plowed 4'' off this morning, wet, heavy, it sucks. Boatload of spring work, just can't get to it. It's driving me crazy.:dizzy: :dizzy:

zim bob the landscaper
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
yup same here red max man but we got 5" here im not complaining that much since its melting like crazy now. it will defintaly be gone by the end of the week then i will do more clean ups. i think its very weird. now we are getting the snow.

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't get how you guys can do cleanups right after 4+" of snow.....

Isn't the ground too soft??

We're not even looking to start ANYTHING until the 20th of April.

The ground is frozen solid here, a low of 10 degrees last night, and I'm not even that far from Minneapolis, MN, just 30 miles.

Ground temps are back to freezing, so pre-emergents are on hold, everything else is frozen to the ground. Luckily I missed out on the 6-10" of snow that fell about 30 miles north of me. At least I don't have snowpiles sitting around, waiting to melt again.

dbc45420
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, it's snowing a little here too. I want to go out, but, it's below freezing. Can mowing when it's this cold harm the grass at all?

I am in Ohio as well and curious, do you mow when its this col or just wait for a warm up. I only have a few accounts. Just wondering...... new to this.

stumpslawncare
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Snowing here, the grass is covered and the roads were icy this morning. It was 70 on Monday, What happened....

J&R Landscaping
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
All we got was rain yesterday and now its sunny out. Its really cold though and very windy too. No snow though but the have not rulled out possible flurries to a dusting any day through Easter.

AAXteriors
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Where the heck is this "Global Warming" LOL :hammerhead: I want to start mowing.

RedMax Man
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM

The ground is frozen solid here, a low of 10 degrees last night, and I'm not even that far from Minneapolis, MN, just 30 miles.

Ground temps are back to freezing, so pre-emergents are on hold, everything else is frozen to the ground. Luckily I missed out on the 6-10" of snow that fell about 30 miles north of me. At least I don't have snowpiles sitting around, waiting to melt again.

The ground isn't really frozen here but i will have to wait until all the snow melts and the ground dries out a bit before cleanups start.

"Ground Control"
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I was doing spring cleanups two days ago here. Now we've got 3 inches of snow on the ground.....:dizzy:

zim bob the landscaper
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM

no not this weekend next weekend hopefully it wont be to soft.

green horizons
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
We've got low-mid 30's for highs and upper teens for lows. No snow though. I pulled the plug on mowing this week. I can't imagine sitting on a mower with the windchill in the 20's! I've been working the phone and shuffeling paper. Most customers seem understanding with the delays.

ProStreetCamaro
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
It was snowing here today when 2 days ago it was 82 outside. It didnt stop us or anything. We did a big mulch job and cut 12 lawns. 10 tomorrow will make 50 out of the 75 we have. The rest should need it next week so starting next week we will be going full tilt on cutting.

SongBird LawnCare
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
detroit is hit as well...

ridiculous weather..

michigan is the perfect state for schizophrenics... the weather matches their moods.

perfectly.

mcwlandscaping
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
got 5-6" of the heavy stuff last night!! LOL, nothing was frozen, what a mess everywhere, i already pulled all my plow stakes and everything, new company policy, winter is not over until last week of April, or cleanup of property, whichever comes first!

lawnguyland
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I was doing clean-ups in very light snow all morning, none on the ground though! The ground is dry and firm enough and not frozen yet, though it might be fri a.m.

goodgreen
04-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Get this - 24" in Michigan's Upper Peninsula since Tuesday!!!!

David Gretzmier
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Most of you guys are up north, but it started snowing in ARKANSAS about an hour ago. I put some flowers under plastic about 6pm tonight, we'll get down to 25 degrees or so this weekend. so much for global warming. it was 84 degrees here monday, and probably will be 90 degrees in 3 weeks. crazy. dave g

Jason Rose
04-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Snow here in Kansas too, (about 3 inches on my lawn, up to 8" north of me about 30 minutes) What a SHOCK, to say the least! We are on our 3rd to 4th mowing of the season, everything is in bloom, trees are leafing out, and so on and so forth. "spring" is really (or was) about 2 weeks ahead of where it should be this time of the year. It's a MESS to have this snow come NOW though. Everyone is already stressed as it is trying to keep up with the growth from having close to 7 inches of rain last week. Last sunday I was finally cought up! I was able to start on monday with my normal schedule finally, and now THIS!

smcunningham
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
we had flurries on and off all day

LawnBrother
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I am in Ohio as well and curious, do you mow when its this col or just wait for a warm up. I only have a few accounts. Just wondering...... new to this.

Well, I have only been at it 4 years, the last 2 years FT, so I'm no expert either. My concern was if running over frozen grass with a big WB would harm it. I talked to a good friend who is a landscaper and he said that his crews have mowed in heavy frost before and it did not cause any damage. He is usually spot on with advice so I take his word for it.

Jason Rose
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
As for the frost, it seems that if it's on the grass and it's before the sun has hit it, walking on it/driving on it CAN hurt it (you will see the tire tracks or foot prints brown) Dosn't kill it, just turns the top brown, looks like crap.

But I have mowed/walked on grass that had visiable frost on it, but the sun had came up and was shining on it, even in the shaded areas, and it was fine, this was at around 30 degrees even. I talked to another guy about this and he's noted the same thing. Before sunrise stay off, after sunrise it seems ok. It still dosn't mow up very nice when it's frosted like that... and I still stay off when the frost is heavy and all over.

LawnBrother
04-06-2007, 04:16 PM
That sounds like good advice Jason, thanks.

ProStreetCamaro
04-06-2007, 04:30 PM
We cut 16 lawns today and the temps never got above 40. When we left at 9 it was 33 out. I was frozen all day even though I had sweat pants, t-shirt, sweat shirt and a heavy coat on and gloves. I felt like an eskimo I had so much clothes on.

Duncan90si
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I have a lot of edging and mulching jobs lined up. I can't do them now though because the ground is frozen. :angry: Unless I wan't to try to edge frozen dirt.