PDA

View Full Version : New Hustler vs Used Scag

tothmow
04-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I need some feedback on my purchase of a zero turn mower. I have narrowed by choices to a new Hustler Fastrak 20/52 or a used Scag Tiger Cub with 19 Kawi/48. The TC is a year old with 160 hours. Both are approximately the same price.

I am cutting two acres with a pretty good slope (10 degrees) through much of the front half of the property. I am cutting only this one property about once a week (personal use).

The Fastrak seems small/short (I am 6'0") although reading this forum that doesnt seem to affect performance. It seems like it would be a good choice for me but for the availability of the used TC.

My questions are as follows:

1. How do the two machines compare on handling slopes/hills?

2. Would the TC tear up the turf more because of its added weight (or perhaps it would tear up less turf because of the larger/wider rear tires?)?

2. Is the TC top heavy at all? Someone on another post said it was no good on hills because it is "top heavy)...it doesnt look top heavy to me and in fact Scag and the TC seem to have a reputation of being very good on hills in this forum.

3. Is there any trim edge on the TC with the 48" deck and how would that compare to the Fastrak?

4. I plan on towing some light equipment (spreader, dump cart etc) and the Fastrak seems very small/short (its even shorter than the Mini Fastrak). Do you think this is a problem?

5. Cut quality - I would think the Cub would cut better since it is a full commercial grade unit. Am I mistaken in this?

I know these machines are in a different class but I would rather get a better machine for the same price even if it is a little overkill for my application. I just want to ensure that the TC wont put me in a worse position considering that its used (160 hours in one year) and I dont know how it handles hills/slopes.

I appreciate any feedback and thanks very much for the assistance.

MTR
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Fasttrak is homemodel, tiger cub is commercial model