PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Weather!

indyturf
04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Well we needed some cooler weather to slow down the crabgrass germination, but this is crazy! 70-80 degrees the last couple weeks now we are seeing highs in the low 30s and lows in the teens! probably should winterize the equipment again!

PR Fect
04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Took the hand sprayer (Glyposate) and the water jug back off the trailer, only after having it on for one week. Will be putting down first round 19-0-6 plus Dimension tomorrow over frozen ground. When it thaws it will be to wet!

lqmustang
04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I hear you on the weather. Couldn't believe how much crabgrass I was seeing the last couple days so early in the season. How much effect will this cold snap have on the crabgrass? With about 5 days of freezing temps, is that enough to kill off what has already started growing? I got all of my first round down on March 29-30, so I'm hoping I should be ok.

seaweed
04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
crabgrass? try 20" of snow

RAlmaroad
04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I sure hope that guy didn't lay down that sod--I told him so--Frozen sod won't grow when it's dead. Better wait like the old timers said. We stand for a hard frost until May 10th.

vegomatic40
04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
With the crazy 85 degree temps down here (Tenn.) I planned on stopping any further new-sale apps. with Dimension but not sure now as the frosts this weekend may put a hurtin on early breakthrough of crab. My stop date for the second app. of Prodiamine is April 19-20 and about 80% done with those. Some of the crab along curbs is already past 2-3 leaf stage so I'm hoping it will peel it back but may be better to do some Drive apps. when temps stabilize later this month. All that coupled with a early dry-spell indicates a weird year with lots of juggling. I just hope some of the new sales understand this and have patience. Already passed up on a couple as their turf-type was marked through on the estimate and penciled in "Crabgrass". TG/CL will be happy to throw down fert. on their "lawn" all summer long...not me.

sprayboy
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Winterizing in April, something wrong here. It sure isn't any fun trying to work with wind chills in the teens.

Rayholio
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Damn this global warming! LOL

GrazerZ
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
crabgrass? try 20" of snow
Exactly, I've got @ 15 estimates to do just as soon as I can see the ground.:dizzy:

philk17088
04-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I had a n old lady cancel this morning because Iwas waaaay to late putting her pre-emerge down.
I asked her when she thought ishould have done it. she said March 15. I told her that wouldn't have worked, I had to pick up my kids early from school because there was a foot of snow coming.

seaweed
04-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Exactly, I've got @ 15 estimates to do just as soon as I can see the ground.:dizzy:

I got so frustrated :cry: the other day I took my snow blower to my front lawn and cleaned off about 2000 sq ft - all we need now is another may with 40" of rain

Jason Rose
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm glad to see that everyone is in the same boat, sort of... You guys with a foot+++ of snow I really feel bad for!

Crabgrass was germinating here as well... WAS. With the freezing temps now, I'm sure that's nuked pretty good! Nasty old bermuda was even greening up, but that will be set back a while now. Unfortunately several golf courses around here are bermuda or zoysia fairways! They were greening up EARLY this year and now they are in fear of loosing them! The Zoysia will tolerate some freeze at this stage, but if it gets into the mid teens it could KILL it. golf course I know is running the irrigation tonight to lay a layer of ice on everything to insulate it.

ThreeWide
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I am really concerned about the warm season grasses in our area. Bermuda was close to full greenup in some areas, and Zoysia was progressing as well.

We had temps in the mid 20s the past two nights. Wind stayed up Friday night, but last night it calmed down which was bad. There was some frost this morning. My Bermuda has a black tint now in the areas that were green.

hmartin
04-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I am really concerned about the warm season grasses in our area. Bermuda was close to full greenup in some areas, and Zoysia was progressing as well.

We had temps in the mid 20s the past two nights. Wind stayed up Friday night, but last night it calmed down which was bad. There was some frost this morning. My Bermuda has a black tint now in the areas that were green.

Same here, most bermuda lawns have been mowed about 4 or 5 times. Even the crepe myrtles were full of leaves. They are all black now.

DoetschOutdoor
04-08-2007, 11:58 PM
I love this weather here in the Midwest lately. I put down my pre-em a little late this year but this cold front has killed off alot of the existing weeds and now my application will prevent more. Kinda sucked mowing in the 30 degree temp with the wind blowing 100mph but thats payback for us getting great weather in mid-late march.