PDA

View Full Version : best mower for cutting bermuda

groundskeeperpensacola
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
What is the best big mower for cutting bermuda?

ProStreetCamaro
04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I hear that Hustler, Exmarks Triton deck mowers and Cub Tanks and Z-TWO's do really well on that type of grass.

wolf man
04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Exmark All The Way

ed2hess
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
We are having problems with the hybrid Bermuda. With big decks and uneven terrain it is hard to keep from scalping certain areas and that grass don't come back out when you are in the middle of the summer. I think the answer may be Walker because that deck follows the terrain pretty good.

ACEMowing
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
We are having problems with the hybrid Bermuda. With big decks and uneven terrain it is hard to keep from scalping certain areas and that grass don't come back out when you are in the middle of the summer. I think the answer may be Walker because that deck follows the terrain pretty good.

I agree... we mow 90% bermuda here in Oklahoma and the Walkers leave the best finish out of everything we've tried... and of course in our shady areas there's fescue which the Walker does nice on as well but it's a bit of a pain to raise the deck for the fescue areas. I guess we should invest in the quick height adjusters.

pclawncare
04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree with ace at least in my area walkers are king in my town anyone that is anyone has at least one walker hell home owners are ever shelling out 10 grand or more for walkers and im not talking about just a few. ACE i just got a quick height adjuster on my new walker and after using a 48" deck for 2 years w/o it i will probably never have another deck with out one, but i am a solo operator i dont think it would be cost effective if you were running a crew, i just dont like getting off and on all day since i have to do everything anyway.

ACEMowing
04-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I agree with ace at least in my area walkers are king in my town anyone that is anyone has at least one walker hell home owners are ever shelling out 10 grand or more for walkers and im not talking about just a few. ACE i just got a quick height adjuster on my new walker and after using a 48" deck for 2 years w/o it i will probably never have another deck with out one, but i am a solo operator i dont think it would be cost effective if you were running a crew, i just dont like getting off and on all day since i have to do everything anyway.

Thanks for the feedback on the adjuster. I have never seen one in person or used one but am real glad to know that it works well so that is a big help. We run the 48" ghs deck as well so it's a big help.

danielmorvant
04-06-2007, 12:45 AM
i have a dixie chopper fastest rated blade tip speed on market 19,500 it does great on all grass. i also have a kubota zg20 blade tip speed 15,500 it does not do well on some types of grass leaves sprigs some times .im amazed at the power the dixie chopper has

ACEMowing
04-06-2007, 12:59 AM
i have a dixie chopper fastest rated blade tip speed on market 19,500 it does great on all grass. i also have a kubota zg20 blade tip speed 15,500 it does not do well on some types of grass leaves sprigs some times .im amazed at the power the dixie chopper has

Dixie Choppers are fine on trash mowing/chop n drop situations but on real life homeowner lawns there's absolutley no comparison to a Walker finsh cut... both have their place but no real comparison between the two, they are meant for totally different jobs.

tjsquickcuts
04-06-2007, 10:20 PM
My Scags with Floating deck and the anti-scalp Rollers work wells on Bermuda.....Leaves a Nice Finished Cut, with nice and clean strips.....But even here in Atlanta, Walker is King....I have been trying to hold out until early fall, just in time for leaf clean ups to purchase, but I am itching to get one soon.....Only thing I am going to hate is dumping all those clippings every day....My dealer found a cougar at one of the Scag Warehouses, and wants me to buy that instead of a walker, to keep my inventory consistence. JMO......

MikeLT1Z28
04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
well, i love my walker and will give it a big plug for this thread since it really does an excellent job. however, my old lazer z had the trivantage deck and it did a good job too. i also demoed a lazer with an ultracut deck and that thing was awesome. if you have a lot of acerage to cover in a short amount of time, i say ultra cut. if you want it manicured and bagged, you can't miss with a walker.

nosparkplugs
04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
By far The Walker Mower is the best, I have own/owned John Deere, and Scag both scalped/left clumps. I love the 42"GHS deck absolutly no scapling,no clumping the drive system does not drain power like Scag and John Deere, this is because the final drive is HYDRO/GEAR. All of our accounts look manicured, I use to be a "mulcher", by far less work/blowing off sidewalks and can tackle any grass type. These mowers replace an employee, and with 10 decks the high price is worth it.

ACEMowing
04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
well, i love my walker and will give it a big plug for this thread since it really does an excellent job. however, my old lazer z had the trivantage deck and it did a good job too. i also demoed a lazer with an ultracut deck and that thing was awesome. if you have a lot of acerage to cover in a short amount of time, i say ultra cut. if you want it manicured and bagged, you can't miss with a walker.

Can't wait to see one of the new Walker Super B higher speed mowers that is supposed to be coming out... I guess maybe later this year :usflag:

pclawncare
04-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Ya i asked my dealer about them today and he said he didnt know when he would get one. ACE i will say the height adjuster is not effortless, but it does work well i think mine needs a little wear on the bushings since the bushings on the frame around the pins that stick up on the deck rub some and sometimes get caught but it is alot easier then changing it manualy i like mine im just telling you dont set your expectations so high that it is a 1 finger thing or anything like that after all you are lifting like 150 pounds with one hand it does have a spring assist though

windshadow
06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
maybe you guys can help. I have the ghs 48 and I am thinking of getting a side discharge dec or a mulching dec has anyone used one or the other and what are the pros and cons thanks. bill

unit28
06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.gravely.com/images/acc/double_blade_max_productivi.jpg
Got sprigs?
go gravely

brucec32
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Atlanta here, I use an Exmark trivantage 48" set up to mulch on a lazer hp and am very pleased in most situations. Some clumping on heavy moist growth, but I've cut down to 1.5" on flat lawns with no scalping. But deck size definitely is a problem on Bermuda, the bigger you go the more the flaws in the grade/smoothness of the lawn show. the stems are exposed in areas as your wheels go into low spots, the blades drop, and cut into the stemmy area of the plant. Still, no complaints. I see a lot of Walkers used in areas of nicer homes. The deck design looks like it would conform nicely to rolling terrain and the wear on lawns seems lighter with a Walker. I don't know how they mulch, but I would never go back to bagging clippings, especially that thick stuff. I can make 2 passes on typical sized lawns mulching (2nd pass at high speed 1/4" higher just to disperse clippings) and it's still faster than handling clippings, and a lot less mess and hassle. And the look after that is very close to bagged. Some customers have thought I was bagging all along. In dry conditions 1 pass does fine. In 7 years no thatch buildup either. My Gravely does not do as well mulching, so brand definitely matters.
I'd consider a Walker discharge/mulch only model, but it's more of an uproven item here and there is really no reason to change at this time.

unit28
06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
My gravely kicks butt as far as mulching.
And it doesn't have a mulch plate...go figure.

pclawncare
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I have used a 42in mulching deck wind but after about a month i sold it. It did a decent job but left quite a few clumps and it taller type grass it would bog down. I traded it in for a 36in ghs deck and i love it. A buddy of mine has a 52 in sd deck and it is alright but if you are taking off large ammounts of grass it is not what you are looking for. The relativly shallow deck does not allow for handling of large ammounts of grass according to him

windshadow
06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I have used a 42in mulching deck wind but after about a month i sold it. It did a decent job but left quite a few clumps and it taller type grass it would bog down. I traded it in for a 36in ghs deck and i love it. A buddy of mine has a 52 in sd deck and it is alright but if you are taking off large ammounts of grass it is not what you are looking for. The relativly shallow deck does not allow for handling of large ammounts of grass according to himthanks for the reply was your dec a side discharge or were you putting the clipping in the box. I have a 48 inch now and I have been opening the back door on yards that do not want me to bag. Is the cut much better with the 36? thanks bill

brucec32
06-27-2007, 09:52 PM
My gravely kicks butt as far as mulching.
And it doesn't have a mulch plate...go figure.

Isn't that just discharging? LOL. Mine discharges great! Actually it mulches grass ok but has very little suction (even tried Exmark blades), so it will pass over leaves and sticks the exmark picks up and turns to dust.

pclawncare
06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I am not sure i understand your question i will try to answer what question i think you may be asking. For his 52in sd deck it speads the clippings over an area more evenly than simply opening the rear something you need to watch with lifting the hatch and cutting do not point it near any windows if you hit a rock even 30 or more feet away and it comes out of the blower and can easily break a window. My 42in deck was a mulching which has no discharge but i didnt like it because it clumped too much and i wanted a 36in deck for gates. My 36 is a ghs deck and the cut quality is better than my old 42 in most part due to the fact that the ghs deck has counter rotating blades and the mulching deck both rotate the same direction IMO it didnt leave as manicured cut as my 36 in deck any other questions or if i didnt answer a question that you were wanting to ask please let me know. PM me or post back i will help as much as i can.
Jon

chammons
06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I am in NE OK. My deere has no problem with the bermuda. Only clumps a little when really wet (like now).

pclawncare
06-27-2007, 11:40 PM
chammons i hear you there i am in nw ok and i think we got between 3 1/2 to 4in just today and the ground is already saturated so it just floods everywhere

Envy Lawn Service
06-27-2007, 11:49 PM
What is the best big mower for cutting bermuda?

Well, the question back at you is...

How low are you cutting it, and what deck size do you consider 'big'?

South Florida Lawns
06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
A mower with really sharp blades, and I mean razor sharp. I cut a lot of burmuda and my toro z master does a great job but I sharpen my blades every day and it helps give that carpet look.

windshadow
06-28-2007, 07:46 AM
thanks PC that let me know what you were saying. I have the 48 inch ghs deck now, maybe I will get the 36 for its size and getting into smaller gates thanks again. down here mulching seems to be the way to go but I am not set up for it, I think I will just have to bag the lawns. I was trying to save from doing that. From what I have herd the walker does not mulch to good,so before I spent the money on a mulch deck I thought I would ask around thanks again bill

chammons
06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
chammons i hear you there i am in nw ok and i think we got between 3 1/2 to 4in just today and the ground is already saturated so it just floods everywhere

My yards are needing to be cut every 4-5 days, only problem is we can't get 3 days in a row of dry weather!!!

The upside is we will still be mowing in august, the downside is I am normally boating at Grand Lake in August.

T.E.
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I've had two different z riders, and both of them cut the grass different. That being said, most people i've come across don't fully understand just exactly how to cut Bermuda grass. So there are times when the mower will make no difference, you will still have a scalped lawn when you get done. My point if you fall into this category the mower will not solve the problem. JMO, Tony

walker/redmax
06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I live in Fort Collins Colorado. Talk about a place where Walker reins supreme. It's unbelievable! I stand by em 100%. Go with a Walker!:waving:

dwc
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Walker here too! About 90% of my yards are bermuda and it is the reason I went with the Walker. After seeing other companies with them I decided there was not a better cut on bermuda. It will scalp if you fall in a hole or something but it will blow away a Z as far as cut quality.

This weather can't make up it's mind here! Last year was so dry it was hard to mow every week even on irrigated stuff. Now I have only been able to work 1 day all week because it has rained every day and some days all day long or several heavy showers a day. This is like the 18th consecutive day of rain is what the tv weather said!

pclawncare
06-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Ya yesterday here we got over 2 inches of rain and today another nearly inch which took all day to fall but the ground here is purely saturated.

dwc
06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
OVer the past 3 days here we have got 5-6" of rain! On top of all the other rain. Everything is like a swamp. The Walker floats over muddy ground good, but it's not an airboat.

chammons
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I am starting an ark, anyone want to help build when they are not mowing!!!

pclawncare
06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
dwc your walkers do good on muddy ground? Mine suck both of them. I can mow much wetter turf with my grasshopper. Seems the tailwheel makes alot of pressure on the ground with a large amount of weight over it that seems to track really bad in wet ares

dwc
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I have found if I don't slow down or stop and back up when going across a soft area it will not tear it up too bad. It will leave muddy tracks a lot and it WILL get stuck, but the wide lo-pro tires help. I am comparing this to my Wright Sentar I used to own. It would get stuck and really tear up/rut up the ground bad.
When the hopper gets on the full side it does dig in a lot on the rear wheel. I try to empty a lot in soft yards. I mowed side by side with our front mount 52" Grasshopper the other day in a really muddy area and the walker did not track it up as bad.
I don't think any of them do too good in this kind of rain! I think the ark may be the way to go. LOL

pclawncare
06-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Ya someone needs to make a mower with pontoons straped to the side. My grasshopper is a mid mount with some pretty wide turf tires wirder than my walkers low pro tires so that is probably part of the better performance. Also my walker has the high lift which puts about 300 pounds straight on the rear wheel so im sure that doesnt help

David Gretzmier
07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
I have to admit, walkers cut is real nice. on the hybrid bermuda here it has been growing like crazy, it takes 3 passes, 2 to cut it evenly, even with sharp blades, and one pass with the deck raised to completely make clippings disappear.

ed2hess
07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I have to admit, walkers cut is real nice. on the hybrid bermuda here it has been growing like crazy, it takes 3 passes, 2 to cut it evenly, even with sharp blades, and one pass with the deck raised to completely make clippings disappear.
Is that with a walker mulching deck?