PDA

View Full Version : maple seedlings

RigglePLC
04-05-2007, 05:37 PM
This is crazy--under almost every Norway maple--thousands or little maple tree seedlings have sprouted. Had three calls already. Why so many this year? What can be used to treat them?

So far have used Confront, and Surge--not much effect--but its only been a couple of days--and today 2 inches snow.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM
dont even sweat them...once the first mowing comes around and the foliage gets cut off the plant will not be able to photoshynisize ( i know i hacked up the spelling) and it will die.

ive got them all over my yard

1turfguy
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
don't bother wasting weed control on them just mow them down !!!
i have been informed the norway maple is an invasive tree and no longer to be used in landscaping in MA

gqnine44
04-05-2007, 11:25 PM
As far as mowing them goes...sometimes the foliage stays below the level that the grass is cut...then what?

integrityman
04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
just keep mowing them- they WILL die.

tremor
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Noway Maples are often conidered a "weed tree" due to their prolific seeding.

The seedlings can't stay below the mower blades for long. Mowing WILL take them out eventually.

Some tree species let loose with a raft of seeds late in their life or after a stress event. Is this an older Maple that is getting ready to kick?

jsf343
04-14-2007, 03:31 PM
ok, I want to add to this question. I have them in a lot of beds, what can you do for those type of areas?

RAlmaroad
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Pull em, pull em Surely they can't be that many unless the bed is right under the tree, then if it is during the falling season, cover the beds with a light canvas--we call it tobacco bed canvas that is sold by the 100' X 12' piece. Last for years and handy for a lot of other things--like keeping birds out of cherry trees.

Russ
04-15-2007, 10:05 AM
ok, I want to add to this question. I have them in a lot of beds, what can you do for those type of areas?
Use a weed eater and knock off the primary leaf. There won't be enough energy stored in the seed to produce secondary leaves. It's dead.

americanlawn
04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys! This post is very timely for me, as many of our customers have called in regarding these "weird weeds".

My land grant university agrees with the expert advise given above.

We experienced low 80's, and then we had 2 weeks of low temps well below freezing. Including 7 degree wind chills. Now we are slowly coming back toward normal temps.

These are prolific all across our state of Iowa. Underneath all "hard maples" - red, sugar, black, and Norway. Not silver maples though.

They all sprouted when we saw 80 dgree temps. Now they're all frost bitten, but still alive.

Sometimes one every 3 or 4 inches right under the tree, then more scattered away from the tree.

All have a pair of opposite "large oblong leaves", and some have small inner leaves with the typical "maple-shaped" leaf.

This was a great post along with fine advice by fellow members.

Thanks guys. This site rules!

americanlawn
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Today another ISU turf expert told me that regualr mowing + warmer weather will kills these darn varments. Hope so. (David Minner, ISU)

jsf343
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Russ, I will do that.